Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-13, 01:54 PM  
F1mom

Original Dream Body Question re: Hip Flexors

I did 35 minutes of DB on Monday, giving up after the 2nd set of ab twists because I was wiped out.

Today, however, my hip flexors are so sore I can barely walk. I'm literally shuffling around.

Did I perform the twists wrong or something that it hit my hip flexors instead of my abs? If so, how do I correct it?
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 03:51 PM  
mrsyancy

Nope....I felt the same way after I did this workout the first time.....I just think its probably bc our hip flexors are worked very differently than were used to( or at least that I'm used to).....she works your hip flexors quite a bit in this workout.........so ur definitely not alone
mrsyancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 04:10 PM  
PhyllisG

Please be careful and rest. I hurt my hip flexor in Jan '12 and ended up in bed for a month. I did it (I think) a combination of whatever workout I did that day plus carrying wood and loading the wood stove. It was not pretty so make sure you really rest and don't push yourself. My MD and chiropractor both told me to walk. Plus take an over the counter anti inflammatory.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 07:44 PM  
F1mom

Thanks mrsyancy. Glad to see it wasn't just me. I thought maybe I wasn't rotating my leg enough during those inner thigh crunches.

PhyllisG I'm so sorry to read about your injury. I'll definitely take some ibuprofen. I took yesterday off completely and did Essentrics Hip & Hamstring workout earlier today. It helped with the soreness but I'm not 100% ready to try it again.

Did anyone else have a problem with this workout?
Old 05-17-13, 05:04 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

I also found that this workout put excessive strain on my hip flexors, in part because of all the work with the stability ball between the legs and the legs at 45 degrees. It helped to substitute a pilates ring for the ball - you still get resistance for the inner thighs but without the extra weight.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 07:44 AM  
desie

Me too, I have a tendency to tighten up in the hip flexors, and had to modify in this workout to avoid working them hard. And I couldn't really get my inner thigh to work hard in that lying back position with the leg turned out, I could feel my hip flexor taking over, so I had to switch to lying more on my side.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 08:56 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
I also found that this workout put excessive strain on my hip flexors, in part because of all the work with the stability ball between the legs and the legs at 45 degrees. It helped to substitute a pilates ring for the ball - you still get resistance for the inner thighs but without the extra weight.
Hmmm, interesting. At that point my legs were just too ding dang tired and I kept the ball on the floor with a good squeeze on it. Perhaps that saved my hip flexors! So, that's another idea for people without a pilates ring.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 09:23 AM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by desie View Post
Me too, I have a tendency to tighten up in the hip flexors, and had to modify in this workout to avoid working them hard. And I couldn't really get my inner thigh to work hard in that lying back position with the leg turned out, I could feel my hip flexor taking over, so I had to switch to lying more on my side.
I think that's what did it. FIRM Vol. 2 and Kathy Smith's Project You Lower Body had inner thigh work while on the back but I guess they were so much slower I could pay attention to form.

I'll try your tip, fuzzie. I was going to sub the ball from Yoga Booty Ballet since I don't have a stability ball but a pilates ring might be even better.

Tags
dream body, injuries