Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-17, 12:06 PM  
boukilisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Sometime this year there will be a British TV service available for streaming in the USA I will need to get a Roku or Chromecast for this.....it's kind of like Netflix/Hulu where new episodes of shows aired in England will be available in the USA the next day.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/13/ne...tv-to-the-u-s/

Supposedly there is another season of the British show "Cold Feet" being filmed. I wonder if this service will carry it.

Sherry
Yes! Thanks for posting.
Old 03-24-17, 01:49 PM  
antbuko

I belong to a British TV fan page on Facebook, and so far, most prefer AcornTV over BritBox. I have not tried BritBox myself yet. I haven't run out of things to watch on Acorn yet.
Old 03-24-17, 02:02 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Hubby and I binged on "The Detectorists" on Netflix recently. It stars one of the guys from the British Office and it is about...metal detecting in the UK. Doesn't sound exciting, but it is funny! While watching it my hubby commented that this would never get made in America because it's not a doctor/lawyer/cop/fire dept. show. I wish American TV would branch out more!

Also, I recently read that Noel Fielding from The Mighty Boosh is going to be one of the hosts of The Great British Baking Show! Love him and can't wait to see what he brings to the show.
I just came back to post about this show, and I was only going to go back a page or two to see if anyone mentioned it before I risked duplicating the suggestion.

It's definitely "original", funny and low-tech. The acting is wonderful and low key. There was a scene where one man (sorry - I don't remember the names) is approached by a cop outside of an elementary school because his appearance "made the mothers nervous". There was no shouting, anger, threats or violence. Just "I'm waiting for my girlfriend" and that was it. It made me realize - once again - how much we've come to expect violence in our shows.

I've also been enjoying Monarch of the Glen. I love the quirky characters!
Old 03-24-17, 02:02 PM  
sherry7899

Helen- thanks for sharing! I would prefer Acorn since we have Amazon and an Amazon Fire stick. I would like not to have to buy anything to use Britnox on our Tv. The only thing is I hope Acorn gets the upcoming season of Cold Feet.
What is the Facebook group? Thanks!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-17, 04:47 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post

Chewing Gum is a notable exception ... for a London-based/produced/written show, it's got satiric elements that resonate all too well this side of the pond ... even if you are not Christian or from The Bible Belt ... (or young) ... flexibility in the degree of subtlety of their humor does not hurt, either ...
I read about Chewing Gum earlier in this thread and watched a few episodes last night. It is raunchy and HILARIOUS! Season 2 on Netflix starts in a few weeks, too!
Old 03-27-17, 07:46 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Helen- thanks for sharing! I would prefer Acorn since we have Amazon and an Amazon Fire stick. I would like not to have to buy anything to use Britnox on our Tv. The only thing is I hope Acorn gets the upcoming season of Cold Feet.
What is the Facebook group? Thanks!
Hi Sherry. The group is British TV & Film Fan Club:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BritishTVFanClub/
Old 03-27-17, 07:52 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post

Thank you!

Old 03-27-17, 08:32 AM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post

I requested to join too.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-17, 08:44 AM  
spotted zebra

I wish I could add Strictly Come Dancing to the list of shows we can view here. It's a sad fact some Brit shows will never make it to this side of the pond.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-17, 08:49 AM  
sherry7899

I am going to a do one week free trial of Britbox because they have season 6 of Cold Feet! I am so excited to see it. I loved that show!

Sherry

Tags
binge watch, binge-watching, british tv shows, favorite british tv shows, favorite tv shows