Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-16, 10:25 AM  
BunnyHop

This thread got me thinking about two older shows that I loved years ago: The Prisoner (with Patrick Magoohan) and The Avengers (with Diana Rigg as Emma Peel).

The Prisoner was baffling and intriguing. Plus, it came on pretty much at random in our area, so figuring out when the next episode was coming on was a chore.
Old 08-05-16, 10:43 AM  
sherry7899

The Prisoner is out on Dvd. A friend of ours who passed away unexpectedly recently loved the series and had loaned my dh the series box set. It is going to be a long time until we can bring ourselves to watch it now.

My dh loves Diana Rigg. He has the "Emma Peel" Dvd set of course...

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-16, 10:48 AM  
sherry7899

Has anyone watched the series "Murphy's Law?" It stars James Nesbitt who was in Ballykissangel and Cold Feet. I may have asked about it already I have a few seasons on Dvd but have not watched it yet.

Old 08-05-16, 04:42 PM  
loulou

I don't think anyone has mentioned "Southcliffe" on Netflix. It's pretty dark but very good. A four episode series.
loulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-16, 04:44 PM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-16, 04:58 PM  
sherry7899

I need to make a list-thanks to everyone for so many suggestions here. I already have too many dvds I have not watched yet, but I'm so glad there are so many British options on Netflix and Amazon streaming.

Sherry

Old 08-05-16, 10:46 PM  
boukilisa

Love this thread.

Adding:

Outnumbered - Comedy
Appropriate Adult - Miniseries
Old 08-06-16, 05:25 PM  
videofit

It's a bit frustrating to start watching a recommended series on youtube only to find out that later episodes were taken down, usually for copyright reasons.
Old 08-06-16, 05:56 PM  
sherry7899

Videofit- that is very frustrating! Which series was it?

Does anyone remember the show Lovejoy?
I really liked that series.

Old 08-06-16, 07:49 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted zebra View Post
You bring up an interesting point for sure.

The romance between Celia and Alan on Last Tango in Halifax was inspired by Sally Wainwright’s mother’s second marriage and love rediscovered late in life through a UK social media website, and about how those two inspired those around them. Sally Wainwright said in an interview she watched her own mother become more passionate, emotional, and animated with life and Sally wanted to inspire others with her story (with her mother’s blessing). It’s true Sally Wainwright brought in drama, adventure, and two dysfunctional families for added contrast. I think Sally Wainwright does drama well – she also did the series Scott & Bailey (another big favourite of mine) and Happy Valley (which I haven’t seen yet). It’s remarkable in TV that the three female leads are all over the age of 40, and as with Scott & Bailey they’re strong female roles and not merely a lead male’s wife, mistress, mother, or girlfriend, but fully developed characters in their own right.

I especially like the honest dialogue. I heard later several of the scenes including conversations between Celia and Caroline were based on real situations that happened, and I wasn’t surprised because they were so real and honest (one example being Caroline’s discomfort at her mother enthusiastically talking about her sex life). The show does away with TV ageist stereotypes and IMO the added contrasting drama is nice because it’s unpredictable and not boring.

I love the 4 actors featured who all do an outstanding job: Derek Jacobi (I Claudius, Vicious) plays Alan, Anne Reid is Celia (hard to believe she’s 81 now!), and their daughters played by Sarah Lancashire who has long been a favourite British actress of mine, and Nicola Walker. The series won critical acclaim and the BAFTA TV award for best drama series. I expected a nice, warm, fuzzy love story and was pleasantly surprised it turned out to be more. It's a romantic drama.

For anyone who hasn’t seen it, like others here I recommend Sally Wainwright’s Scott & Bailey (set in Manchester), especially the first 4 of the 5 seasons – it’s much more than just a regular police drama series. It’s another example of surprisingly meaty roles for female leads and I like how the series explores those characters in depth and not just the crime scenes they encounter.

I heard Diane Keaton has acquired the rights to Last Tango for a US TV remake. I suspect much of the original charm will be lost but I could be proven wrong. An Americanized Doc Martin remake will also be coming to TV.
Thank you for this review of LTiH - I decided to get it from the library based on this, and just binged through Season 1. I didn't think it was remotely soap-operaish. In fact, I thought there was a lot of depth of character and the interactions between characters was honest and sincere, even when there was a ton of anger, ego, drama going on. Certainly not fake. Definitely kept it real. Probably being so close to her own experience helped that along. The excellent actors all around didn't hurt either. Planning on a Season 2 binge tonight.

I just put Scott and Bailey in my library queue.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
binge watch, binge-watching, british tv shows, favorite british tv shows, favorite tv shows