Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-12, 02:28 PM  
angel nee nee

Real pilates video for prental exercise

Hello everyone. Does anyone know prenatal exercise videos that features actual genuie pilates and not the ones that has "Pilates" in the title, but is actually random exercises no-related to pilates? I'd love to find one.

Also, I'm having a really bad time with hip pain (pregnant) right now. I think it's from joint being loose. I am looking for some kind of exercise that will help me with that. Hip alignment etc. This one does not have to be video recomnendations, (although those are great too. ) but if you can tell me what kind of exercises helped you with hip pain during pergnancy, would you share with me?

Thank you so much.

And for cool VF members to share our joy of video exercising with!
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-12, 12:29 AM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I thought I remembered seeing prenatal DVDs from Stott when I was looking at their new ones and found they have a pre- and post-natal series - Four prenatal ones (on the mat, on a ball, on a wedge and on equipment) and one postnatal one. Being Stott these will be real Pilates moves and fairly serious. The equipment one looks like it's priced for pros. The others are $15, plus there are some sets. They're on Amazon, too.

There are clips on the Stott site. I looked at the mat one and it's Moira instructing two pregnant women. They had cushions for some propping of legs that don't rest easily on the floor, etc. Below are the exercises listed for the mat workout.

WARM UP: Breathing, Flex Forward, Breathing into Flexion & Extension, Pelvic Floor Engagement, Imprint & Release, Protraction & Retraction, Cat Stretch, Spinal Rotation, Elevation & Depression, Head Nods

EXERCISES: Spine Twist, Saw, Resting on Elbows: Hip Release, Resting on Elbows: Bend & Stretch, Lower & Lift, Leg Circles, Hip Rolls, Leg Lifts, Side-Lying, Side Kicks, Side Leg Lift Series, Side Bend Prep, Twist, Squats, Leg Pull Front Prep, Swimming Prep, Push-Up, Lunge Forward Thigh Stretch, Mermaid Stretch, Rotation with Port de Bras, Arm Circles Seated

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-12, 12:54 AM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I looked further at the list of prenatal Pilates DVDs that came up on my Amazon querie and found one from Alan Menezes, an Australian who is considered one of the first-generation instructors and who wrote one of the early books on ALL of the mat exercises.

Also this one from Niece Pecenka of Do More Pilates: Standing and DMP: Mat.

I expect these two would require more prior knowledge of Pilates than the Stott ones. Stott's level 1 DVDs are fairly reliably beginner. Niece usually does pretty advanced stuff.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-12, 06:42 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Congratulations!!!
It's been decades since I've been pregnant but there's also 10 Minute Solution Prenatal Pilates with Lizbeth Garcia: http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...l-pilates-7847

No specific advice for your loose hip joints but I hope you're able to resolve it.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-12, 09:14 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

If you search on Prenatal Pilates on Amazon, a lot of titles come up. You can read the reviews and see what you think. You might also give Collage a call. I've found them to be very helpful, and if the dvd doesn't suit your needs, you can return it.
Old 09-10-12, 12:35 PM  
angel nee nee

Thanks! I will look into those.

And for cool VF members to share our joy of video exercising with!
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-12, 03:30 PM  
edensmom

I can personally recommend Pilates During Pregnancy w/Niece Pecenka. I used it frequently during my most recent pregnancy. It is not easy, you will certainly work, and it is safe to use.
The 10 Min. Solutions one w/Lizbeth Garcia has moves that are contra-indicated beyond about 4 months/16 weeks into pregnancy (performing exercises while lying flat on your back) and I personally did not consider it safe to use. Just a heads up.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote