Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-10, 05:57 PM  
sundari

A/C Out 91 in House

So my central air broke. First they juiced it up and it lasted two weeks. Then they came back and juiced it again this time it only lasted a day. We knew that the inside unit had a leak and the outside also needed to be replaced.

We've made arrangements to get a new unit. Only problem is they can only install it this coming Friday.

So we bought a portable air conditioner for the bedroom so that we could at least sleep better. We all know how it feels to sleep in 91 degree

This leads me to how will I work out? Can't work out in my exercise room way to hot unless I was doing Bikram Yoga. Can't use the Treadmill or Step.

I've been able to bring a computer monitor and laptop into the bedroom. We all know how ingenious we can be at finding ways to do what we want to do So the workouts I've picked that are space friendly are: Bar Method, Ellen Barrett, Classical Stretch, Kundalini Yoga and Margaret Richard.

These workouts should be good for the space issues and because at least I will be able to do something which is better than nothing. I am determined to not let this situation deter me from my workouts.
Old 06-27-10, 06:03 PM  
killoffsonny

I don't know what to tell ya. If it was me I wouldn't work out. I'd either go walk at the mall or do nothing until the AC got fixed. I worked out in my exercise room this afternoon instead of going to the gym and I was sweating buckets which is rare for me but I keep my house set on 80 where as the gym is a lot cooler. Sorry .....I wasn't much help. In fact if you are even just thinking of working out with the house that hot then I say kudos to you!!
Old 06-27-10, 06:17 PM  
Buzzer

It's a cool 65 degrees right now at my house, with thunder and dark clouds, so if you want to come over here and workout, you can

I can't stand the heat. I feel so bad for you. I'm glad you got a portable A/C and can sleep & workout, but that pretty much kills it for other activity outside that room.

My sympathies to you, and I hope this week goes fast for you
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-10, 06:33 PM  
sophie kat

i understand what you're going through, sundari. it's 90 degrees here with 75 percent humidity, but i have NO central air. i have two window units, but there's isn't enough space to can't workout where they are, and try not to run them that much to save energy.

what i do is i workout early in the morning before the heat builds up in the house and i have a fan in my workout space that i run on high and point directly at me during the workout. i also have LOTS of ice water handy.

i think it's great that you're not going to let this stop you from working out. it's hard to find "compact" cardio workouts, but you have a few there that fit the bill. those are great choices.

ETA: i can't stand the heat either. unfortunately summer arrived very early and very hot this year. is it fall yet?

I my VF friends!
sophie kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-10, 06:42 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Our A/C was out briefly a few weeks ago, so I know what you are going through!

It was at least 90 in our house too. It was about 95 outside with a heat index worse than that. Brutal!

Our A/C wasn't out long enough to affect my workouts, but running in this kind of heat is a challenge. I either run early in the AM before the day heats up, or after dark. It's still hot after dark, but I find that if the sun isn't actually shining it feels a bit cooler.

Good luck!
Old 06-27-10, 06:52 PM  
Cuddlebug

I can't imagine wanting to work out in high heat + humidity. That's a miserable combination! Our A/C went out last year in July at 10:00 Sat night. We called everyone in the yellow pages that said they were a 24 hour service and got no one! Our A/C didn't get fixed until Monday morning! We're in the desert so it was 104 degrees at the time, but very low humidity. Kudos to you for trying to keep to your exercise during this time! Hope your A/C is fixed by now and you are comfortable once again.
Cuddlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-10, 07:01 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I do all my cardio in a windowless garage. It's freezing in the winter and sweltering in the summer, but it's all I have (without downstairs neighbors anyway). Work out EARLY, have water and a fan. It probably helps that I get used to it and am not just subjected to it one week out of nowhere. I actually find it better working out in there than walking the dog because the hot sun blaring down bothers me more, but I have to do those walks too, LOL. Still, if I had more room I probably would have bought some kind of AC or heat unit by now for that garage! ETA: We're also doing Couch to 5K, and we try to be outside by no later than 7am to start that.

Of course if you get sick in any way, stop or get creative about using the little space in front of the AC. Pilates on the bed?
Old 06-27-10, 07:20 PM  
lynnem3
VF Supporter

I live in an old house without air conditioning and we've been in the 90's for what seems like a month or so with a few breaks.

I spend a lot of time on the treadmill in the summer because it's in our cool basement (sounds like yours is upstairs). Otherwise, I work out early with lots of water as suggested by Sarah-lara, and just plan to be drenched in sweat by the end.

Hope you can keep cool until the new A/C arrives!
Old 06-27-10, 07:53 PM  
videofit

I've never had air conditioning and I know there will always be a few weeks every year when it'll be really hot. When it's just normal hot, I put the fan on and exercise in front of it. Then when I'm done I take a cool shower. At least things cool down at night in a desert climate.
Old 06-27-10, 09:11 PM  
pbnj

Sometimes gyms like 24-hour fitness offer a free trial period of about a week, if you can tolerate working out at the gym.
pbnj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning, ventilation