Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-12, 09:31 AM  
lorajc

Fluidity - Results? Different from other Barre?

I watched the HSN presentation of Fluidity last night (mighty good price, I might add at $329 - but I already have it...paid more on Ebay for a used one!!). Anyway the befores and afters were absouletely STUNNING!!! The most impressive I've ever seen. Is this only because we've never seen another barre infomercial or is their specific magic to Fluidity.

I'm getting my barre out as soon as I'm done typing and trying my Fluidity 3 in 1 dvd for the first time.

Would love to talk about this!

ETA: oh, and one thing in particular, is Fluidity's upper body better, as one of the before and after's had her arms appear as though she lifted weights high reps and were super defined, just awesome!!! That's the look I'm going for small, compact, defined and lean!!!! and then more definition!!! can never have enough!! LOL
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 01:25 PM  
slysam

I don't have fluidity, but am curious even though I don't have the space for one. I am taking a live class right now that is a mix of pilates and ballet barre (not necessarily like the barre type workouts but using a barre). The barres in the class are wall mounted ones and we do some exercises that involve hanging from the barres or looping resistance bands around the barre for different upper body and full body exercises. I would imagine the fuidity barre looks quite stable so there is the potential for these types of exercises. For my barre dvd's, I use my sofa and they suggest a chair, obviously this limits exercise choice as it looks like they do similar exercises in pictures I've seen of studio barre classes. I have a bit of fluidity barre envy at the moment! Do the dvd's include any upper body exercises that make use of the extra gravity or resistance you can get using the barre?

Saying that, I do think some barre workouts can provide a very challenging upper body workout and the instructors of these look very defined. I am thinking of Squeeze Stronger and Ballet Body Upper dvd. Both are challenging in different ways to me--more so than moderately heavy weights. And both Tracy E and Leah S have very defined upper bodies. I am not sure about trusting before and after's though, especially since it could likely be that the success stories are also doing something else or just have a different body type.

I am curious though, but it might just reinforce my fluidity barre envy (which is currently confined to the equipment not the workouts).
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 01:30 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
...Is this only because we've never seen another barre infomercial or is their specific magic to Fluidity.
I don't feel that Fluidity offers much more than any of the other barre dvds out there. I think if there was an infomercial for Bar Method or Pure Barre or Ballet Body, you'd be able to pull together folks with equally impressive "results".

The one plus that Fluidity has is that awesome barre, but one generally can find that quite reasonably priced on craigslist. (I bought my 2nd one for $15. )
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 09:24 PM  
lorajc

anyone else care to comment? Anyone have great results from Fluidity or barre in general. They were actually showing one before and after of a girl that was a "gym rat" and then did Fluidity and I was floored with how great she looked.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 11:00 PM  
princess76

I hated the videos, and the bar was huge and heavy. I donated them to a secondhand store a few years ago. FWIW, I prefer circuit training and yoga over Pilates or barre work.
princess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 11:44 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Well the difference in Fluidity upper body work is that they use resistance bands, right? So you can feel the work on both the concentric and essentric movements. Whereas with other barre workouts you use light dumbbells. You may be advised to feel as though you're lifting heavier weights, but I don't think you can really feel the same intense squeeze when you're lowering only 2-5 lbs.

ETA - I just checked on HSN and it looks like they're selling it for $240, not $329... (am I missing something?)
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, fluidity, pilates band