Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-20, 10:12 AM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions--I appreciate it!
I think I will be revisiting Classical Stretch this weekend.

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 12:13 PM  
TracyQ

Gale—I feel your pain. I had surgery for a massive rotator cuff tear in November and am still recovering and unable to do a lot of things.

I did want to mention that I started doing some of my favorite Cathe lower body workouts without using weights and was pleasantly surprised to find that I could still get a decent workout.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-20, 02:17 PM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
Gale—I feel your pain. I had surgery for a massive rotator cuff tear in November and am still recovering and unable to do a lot of things.

I did want to mention that I started doing some of my favorite Cathe lower body workouts without using weights and was pleasantly surprised to find that I could still get a decent workout.
Tracy, I had missed your post. Thank you for the good suggestion! I hope you are still on the road to recovery!

I thought I would follow up on this post, in case anyone else ever does a search for frozen shoulder for suggestions.

I sent my physical therapist a link to the Classical Stretch frozen shoulder workout on youtube, and she actually did it . For where I am at the time, she did not recommend these sorts of workouts, due to extending my arm without supporting it. She also didn't see how I would even be able to do them, and truthfully, I couldn't on the affected side. I'm recommended against any sort of strengthening until I get some mobility back in the joint, which makes sense. I stopped PT for a month due to the pandemic, but am restarting tomorrow. I have been religious with my home PT exercises and have made some flexibility progress.

Fitness-wise, I have to be content with cardio-based workouts, and do mostly AngieFitnessTV walking/rebounding, modify as needed, and sub PT stretches during strength segments. I'm also getting other rebounding workouts with Bellicon Live, as well as walking outside several days per week. I do my own yoga-based stretching and also experimenting with Viniyoga (Gary Kraftsow) Yoga for Neck and Shoulders (an old DVD), and some Kundalini yoga for some stress management. I've also been able to do some mobility/stretching on the reformer. It is going to be a long road so I am I trying to cultivate some patience

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
Old 05-10-20, 03:05 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale K. View Post
Tracy, I had missed your post. Thank you for the good suggestion! I hope you are still on the road to recovery!

I thought I would follow up on this post, in case anyone else ever does a search for frozen shoulder for suggestions.

I sent my physical therapist a link to the Classical Stretch frozen shoulder workout on youtube, and she actually did it . For where I am at the time, she did not recommend these sorts of workouts, due to extending my arm without supporting it. She also didn't see how I would even be able to do them, and truthfully, I couldn't on the affected side. I'm recommended against any sort of strengthening until I get some mobility back in the joint, which makes sense. I stopped PT for a month due to the pandemic, but am restarting tomorrow. I have been religious with my home PT exercises and have made some flexibility progress.

Fitness-wise, I have to be content with cardio-based workouts, and do mostly AngieFitnessTV walking/rebounding, modify as needed, and sub PT stretches during strength segments. I'm also getting other rebounding workouts with Bellicon Live, as well as walking outside several days per week. I do my own yoga-based stretching and also experimenting with Viniyoga (Gary Kraftsow) Yoga for Neck and Shoulders (an old DVD), and some Kundalini yoga for some stress management. I've also been able to do some mobility/stretching on the reformer. It is going to be a long road so I am I trying to cultivate some patience
Gale—This is so timely. Like you, my PT came to an abrupt end due to the office closing because of the pandemic. I’m also recommended not to do any strengthening exercises until I get my mobility back. A few people here recommended CS to me and I thought I would give it a try. Being totally new to it I decided I would try a short shoulder one that was on YouTube. I did the CS YouTube class 2x and hurt my normally healthy back. I think it was because I was trying to extend my arm without support and was probably putting my lower back in an awkward position. So for now, I will have to be satisfied doing Peleton Spin classes, Cathe lower body workouts (without weights), some very gentle yoga stretches and Pilates.

By the way, I think it’s wonderful that your PT took the time to actually try the workout herself. I’m disappointed in my PT because even though she said she would check in with me while the office is closed, I have not heard a word from her since my last visit in mid-March.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-20, 03:24 PM  
ADoll

I had frozen shoulder on my right side. The cortisone shot helped and is much better. It took a few months for it to not be painful but now I can raise my arm and even fasten my bra from behind. I do notice, though, that when I’m using my Peleton bike, my right hand gets numb. Maybe from stretching out my arm to reach for the handlebar? I hope it gets better soon!
ADoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-20, 09:18 PM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

Thank you, Adoll! I hope that numbness goes away. I'm glad your cortisone shot helped. Mine did too, but it is wearing off.

TracyQ--it sounds like we are on a similar path! My situation with my PT is a bit unique; I work on a hospital campus and am using the hospital's outpatient PT. The PT works in my area once a week so she has checked in with me weekly about my home progress. I'm a bit nervous about restarting, but our state is unfortunately starting to open up so I might as well go. We will both be masked and they are constantly sanitizing the areas. I just don't want to lose ground in getting my mobility back so that I can start working on strength (which means I will be able to use the reformer more ). I hope you will keep updating on your progress!

Tags
bobandbrad, frozen shoulder, shoulder injury, shoulder pain