Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-20, 04:24 PM  
Softshoe
VF Supporter

The Novel Coronavirus is in my town already.
Old 03-08-20, 05:01 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I'm not sure where you got your info about 9 days on surfaces. This is what the CDC website says:

In general, because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, there is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures. Coronaviruses are generally thought to be spread most often by respiratory droplets.
IIRC a person may not test positive for up to 9 days and still be infected and a carrier. Hence the lengthy isolation of people on the cruise ships? Maybe that's where the 9 day reference came from?
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-20, 05:04 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I also agree that being prepared is a good idea, being overly fearful is not. Stress from overreaching fear can actually affect the immune system and make one more susceptible to illness.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-20, 05:07 PM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
I agree, it’s good to be prepared in advance. People can get ugly when they are afraid. Last year, two men got in a fight over bottled water at Walmart when word got out that a hurricane was on the way. It gets crazy.
I saw an online news story this afternoon, with an included a video, of three women in Australia getting into a brawl in a store over toilet paper. One woman had an entire cart full of just toilet paper, nothing else. Apparently there wasn't any left on the shelf and one of the other two women was trying o take a package out of the cart. The woman with the cart wouldn't give up a single package and a tussle ensued.

I really despair about the human race some days.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-20, 05:15 PM  
Gams

And we thought it was bad when people were fighting over Cabbage Patch dolls.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-20, 06:21 PM  
Leonana

My local store had absolutely no toilet paper on the shelves. I have to admit, that one stumps me. I can see stockpiling food and water, but toilet paper? They were also out of wipes for the carts. Fortunately, I always have wipes in my purse. I guess it pays to be anal sometimes.

I like Dr. Mike's video. He has a lot of helpful information.

https://youtu.be/5CRxyHU9Oxo

His slogan is "Alert, not anxious."
Old 03-08-20, 06:59 PM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I'm not sure where you got your info about 9 days on surfaces. This is what the CDC website says:

In general, because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, there is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures. Coronaviruses are generally thought to be spread most often by respiratory droplets.
It was on several different news outlets that the virus can survive up to 9 days on hard surfaces. My internet searches provide the same 9 day survival rate.

https://medicalnewsbulletin.com/how-...e-on-surfaces/
Old 03-08-20, 07:03 PM  
LAC

Regarding there being no toilet paper on store shelves...

Earlier in this thread or another thread, it was mentioned that newspapers and Sears catalog pages used to be used in place of toilet paper in outhouses. I can't imagine this happening, but if worst came to worst and you are using newspaper because you can't find toilet paper, don't flush it! It will clog up the septic lines. You also shouldn't flush kleenex or wet wipes. They don't dissolve the same way toilet paper does.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-20, 07:43 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Let me tell you ...

That is a HUGE pet peeve of mine - having worked at Walmart part time for almost 11 years. . . . The bathroom hand washing technique is HORRIFIC. I don't think it's gotten much better either.

I had heard the wash and sing "Happy Birthday" a long time ago and use it. (I also work in the healthcare industry). So hand washing is mega important. I am absolutely appalled by the MAJORITY of people who do a "fake wash" and don't even use soap. Or worse yet, the ones who don't even wash.

I just went to a seminar 2 weeks ago Friday and while waiting for my boss, had to leave the restroom. I can't watch. I just can't. When we were in the hall I informed her that I just canNOT stand to see the horrific hand washing technique or lack there of when I am in a restroom. (and I am by no means a germaphobe. AT ALL) ....

I am, however, always prepared. I have always been a coupon shopper and I have always stocked up (Comes from years ago, married young, little kids, one car, blah, blah, blah). Our power goes out frequently and during Sandy our power was out for almost 2 weeks. My husband laughs at me ... but I feel better that way.

Anyway ... back to your thread. I will just continue to use proper/good hygiene and that's about all I can do. I am not (yet) freaked out. My fear is more the toll it will take on our economy and the ripple effect.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-20, 07:49 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleda View Post
I am absolutely appalled by the MAJORITY of people who do a "fake wash" and don't even use soap. Or worse yet, the ones who don't even wash.
Cleda
The fake wash is even worse because now they've touched the faucet and infected themselves and others without even washing!

I am also appalled by the lack of hand washing in public restrooms. I can't even imagine not washing after using one. I've even gone into the men's room when the women's restroom was out of soap because I couldn't handle not being able to wash my hands.

I'm prepared, but not panicked. I always buy stuff in bulk during sales so the only thing I bought that I normally wouldn't was extra cat food. I'm low-risk so I'm not concerned about myself, but I have an adult son with asthma and I worry about him. I also plan to self-quarantine if I get ill so I don't infect others. Slowing the spread is really important, IMO. I also worry about my dd who is finishing up her senior year in high school and going far away to college soon. She might be leaving right after graduation for a summer program. Lots of uncertainty over what will happen.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, introverts, price gouging, social distancing