Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-22-16, 06:51 PM  
lorajc

I've been in a rut since my rash of injuries over the past several years. Not sure if I'll ever snap out of it. I am so bummed cuz I can't work out like I want to. I've been sticking with My Reformer...TA...very light weights and Barre 3...walking and lots of Kundalini Yoga while I'm going off my pain meds.... hopefully...once I get off them in a month or so....my pain may stabilize and I can get back to better workouts...but if not...oh well.....I'm going to the Neurosurgeon tomorrow since the last appointment...i waited so long to see him that I totally forgot to ask him everything.

Good luck with Fe fit and dream body...refit is my go to when I don't fee like doing anything and I love dream body...however I go slower than them.... let u know how you like them!!!
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-16, 08:22 PM  
edensmom

Well..my take on your goals is if you want to get strong at pushups, you just need to do pushups. Same with pullups. I did many rounds of BBG and I did get very strong at pushups. She has you doing them a LOT. Doing Dream Body is most likely to increase your cardio endurance. I've used the first two series quite a bit and I like them a lot, and I did get stronger doing them..at doing fast-paced moves with light weights and jumps, etc. Fe Fit is much much easier than Dream Body and I don't really see it helping you gain tons of strength for those particular exercises. I know many have had good results with both programs but the best way to get strong at an exercise is just to start doing it.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-16, 09:05 PM  
bubbles76

Tugger, I was doing the hundred pushup challenge. I got to a certain point and my shoulder started hurting. I think the program progressed too fast for me.

Good luck with the neurosurgeon tomorrow Lora and thanks for your input

Edensmom, what is BBG? And you're probably right about the pushups and pullups. I was just using those as examples of getting stronger at bodyweight type exercises and functionally fit --more about being able to do certain things than being able to lift X amount of weight X amount of times. Previously, it has been about that, but I'm looking to switch focus to get out of my rut. Being able to do something I wasn't able to do before, like inverted pushups. Hope I'm explaining this right.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-16, 09:17 PM  
Tugger31

BBG is the Bikini Body Guide is a paper program by Kayla Itsines. There is BBG1 and BBG2 each is 12 weeks and consist of circuit workouts. They are both 12 weeks. I have both but prefer BBG2 much more. BBG1 to me seemed a bit too basic and BBG2 though is "tougher" and incorporates weights, it can also be done without weights, so I feel it is more more versatile. BBG2 is one of the best programs I've done.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-16, 09:30 PM  
angie_nrs

I've got both programs. I have such dread now with Dreambody that I can't bring myself to recommend it. If I remember correctly those workouts clock in at around an hour and are VERY fast paced with a huge cardio emphasis. You will get a workout in for sure! But, they are very draining.... I can't remember if I got results with this or not.....if I can't remember, then probably not much.

I have no dread with FeFit but I never did a full rotation of it either, so no results to report. If I remember correctly on those, there is much more variety than with DB and they are also much easier and shorter....somewhere between 30-45 minutes I think. I do like these workouts but I don't reach for them often and I really don't know why. For me, these are much easier on the brain.

Now you got me thinking I should grab both of these sets and do a few workouts from each to refresh my memory.
Old 06-22-16, 10:01 PM  
edensmom

BBG started as a 12 week paper program, and she did release a second one. These are still available but the BBG is now an app (Sweat with Kayla) and so far it goes up to BBG 4.0. The meat of the program is 3-4 resistance workouts per week that take 28 mins. These workouts are a mix of weighted and body weight moves like squats, squats jumps, burpees, weighted burpees, pushup variations, mtn climbers, various ab exercises, lunges, jump lunges,step ups, walking lunges etc. You get the idea. Each workout is comprised of 2 circuits which are each repeated twice. You do circuit 1, repeating the exercises in order for as many rounds as possible for 7 mins (this is for bbg 1 and 2. In bbg 3 she changes the circuit length to 14 mins!! x 2) Rest a minute, Move on to circuit 2, rest, circuit 1, rest circuit 2. It is TOUGH. I LOVE bbg, especially the first guide. I didn't find it simple or easy at all. Like any workout you get out of it what you put into it - using heavier weights or moving faster works for me! At any rate, the arms workouts are pretty deathly. As in so, so, so freaking hard.So. Many. Pushups. and jumps in plank etc. I highly recommend it for anyone who likes using an app for their workouts.
If I am understanding what you mean, you are leaning more towards performance goals right now (as in getting better at something new)? Dream Body will definitely offer you that if you stick with it. They are unique in my collection and I really do like them but they can be pretty tough - other than the kickbox ones, which I also like. Just don't get discouraged! And go at YOUR pace, not theirs. Unless these are the newest, 30 min ones. Those are supposed to be slower.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-16, 10:59 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
If I am understanding what you mean, you are leaning more towards performance goals right now (as in getting better at something new)? Dream Body will definitely offer you that if you stick with it. They are unique in my collection and I really do like them but they can be pretty tough - other than the kickbox ones, which I also like. Just don't get discouraged! And go at YOUR pace, not theirs. Unless these are the newest, 30 min ones. Those are supposed to be slower.
Yes, this is exactly what I mean, thank you! I think if I concentrate on that, strength and definition will come, you know? When I was doing the 100 pushup challenge, I said, "well, I just want to be able to do 30 pushups in a row without stopping." Low and behold, I also got stronger and awesome arm definition. I had to stop because I tweaked my shoulder, but at the time, getting close to my performance goal was an awesome feeling

Yes Angie, get out Dreambody Do you think I should start with Fe Fit first? Dreambody may be out of my league right now. I have the Original 5 DVD set that is more toning focused, or so I heard.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 06-23-16, 07:23 AM  
marki64

I don't really find myself ever in a rut, maybe because I don't have much time to exercise and when I do, I try to cherish it. I have taken out a lot of oldies lately. I just did Body Max 2, some old Christi's and found a couple of Amy Bento's first workouts on You Tube. You Tube has been great for checking out different stuff. So is my library. I wonder if some of you get a little bored because you do sets/programs. I couldn't do the same instructor for a month. Do a loose rotation of different instructors. I am fortunate that my workout room is in my basement where it stays at about 62 degress in the summer. So heat isn't too much of a factor. Strange, but sometimes my workouts are better in the summer.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-16, 10:10 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
VVFer, I'm so glad to hear you say you are doing something different and enjoying it. What were you doing before? I'm another that will skip the "failure sets". I'm like, if I seriously go "to failure" then I probably won't be able to do another set ...
Mostly just a random rotation with different Cathe, Leslie and Margaret Richard workouts. Mainly for maintenance. Just recently, I decided to add the structure of a "real" rotation. And push the weights harder. I don't really care for "body weight only" work. It doesn't do anything for me. Plus, I'm battling bone loss, so it's weights for me.

Also, with STS, I like to do two leg workouts per week, so I do the leg one two times during the week.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-16, 10:42 AM  
bubbles76

Marki64, I haven't been doing the same instructor these past few weeks. In fact, I've sorta been all over the map with instructors, going through my virgins. I DO get bored sometimes if doing the same instructor over and over. This is why my rotations typically don't go over six weeks. Usually four weeks. I haven't had that issue with Cathe workouts. I even surprised myself by completing a 90 day STS rotation. Gotta admit though, by the time I got to Meso 3, I was ready to move on to something else. A shame really, as Meso 3 was the one I was looking forward to doing the most.

VVFer, which leg workouts from Meso 3 were you doing each week? The Squat Rack Legs or the other ones? I can't imagine doing Squat Rack Legs twice a week. You are hardcore lol! As for bodyweight, it does wonders for my upper body. I'm experimenting with lower body. I noticed during Xtrain that my legs looked better than they ever have. I thought it must be because of all the plyo work. We'll see.

Tags
bodyweight, dream body, dreambody, fe fit