Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-10, 07:20 PM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

I did MMA Kickbox for the first time yesterday and just loved it! I was expecting just to think it was a good workout, but I really did have fun with it. True, the 3rd combo could have been longer, but I thought the combos were fresh and fun. I did add some intensity here and there by changing her knee moves to kicks where it worked (like the crescent knee in the first combo and the knee up in that last one). I'm going to see if there's a way to add a jump kick or more as I get more familiar with it.

I didn't sweat like I did with Step Moves, but my HR was up and I did notice I was sweatier than I realized after it was over.

Also, even though Cathe has been short on the cool-downs in these workouts, I'm impressed at how thorough her stretches are -- she doesn't just hold one for a few counts, then hurry on to the next one. She really spends time on each stretch. Love that.

"I know you're tired, but jump higher!"
-- Cathe

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with Beachbody. For details, take a look at my profile or see my blog www.foodplusfitness.net .
LovingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 08:01 AM  
boakley
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
I have mixed feelings about the cardio section. I haven't done the core work, so I can't comment on it.

But, like Anita, I just liked it. There was absolutely nothing "wow" about this workout. My big disappoinment is with round #3. It just didn't feel complete to me.
...Snip
Ditto what Debbie said. I didn't do the core section. There was no wow factor for me. Cathe seemed flat, for lack of a better word, and I couldn't believe the cardio was over at the end of combo 3. Actually, I couldn't believe that's all there was to combo 3! The music was OK, but nothing that made me wanna kick or punch harder. I did like Combo 1, and Combo 2 was OK. This is the only one of these workouts I've tried. I also have the MMA Boxing and MMA Fusion workouts, but haven't tried them yet. I think I will do this again, before making any final decisions on keeping it or trading it.

The other thing I have to say is where is the MMA in this workout? Sorry, but as a HUGE fan of the sport, there is nothing that reminds me of MMA in this workout. I had wondered from the beginning how she would incorporate other martial arts into these workouts. Can someone tell me what they see that pertains to MMA and not just kickboxing? Thanks,

Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 08:55 AM  
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by boakley View Post
Ditto what Debbie said. I didn't do the core section. There was no wow factor for me. Cathe seemed flat, for lack of a better word, and I couldn't believe the cardio was over at the end of combo 3. Actually, I couldn't believe that's all there was to combo 3! The music was OK, but nothing that made me wanna kick or punch harder. I did like Combo 1, and Combo 2 was OK. This is the only one of these workouts I've tried. I also have the MMA Boxing and MMA Fusion workouts, but haven't tried them yet. I think I will do this again, before making any final decisions on keeping it or trading it.

The other thing I have to say is where is the MMA in this workout? Sorry, but as a HUGE fan of the sport, there is nothing that reminds me of MMA in this workout. I had wondered from the beginning how she would incorporate other martial arts into these workouts. Can someone tell me what they see that pertains to MMA and not just kickboxing? Thanks,

Beth
MMA Kickbox has some MMA moves in the core section. MMA Fusion incorporates MMA moves in the cardio and core sections. Can't remember whether MMA Boxing does or not...
Old 01-18-10, 09:17 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
MMA Kickbox has some MMA moves in the core section. MMA Fusion incorporates MMA moves in the cardio and core sections. Can't remember whether MMA Boxing does or not...
I'm wondering if Cathe is calling the whole series MMA. Then one DVD is boxing, another is kickboxing, and the one that has the most MMA moves is Fusion. This is why the Fusion title seemed confusing since it's already called MMA.
Old 01-18-10, 11:54 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
I'm wondering if Cathe is calling the whole series MMA. Then one DVD is boxing, another is kickboxing, and the one that has the most MMA moves is Fusion. This is why the Fusion title seemed confusing since it's already called MMA.
Yep, that's it.
It's like an 'MMA series.'

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 12:37 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I did MMA Kickbox and the heavy bag section (just upper body) of the Boxing wo today. I used my weighted gloves for the Kickbox wo. I like the combos. They are similar to white belt sports combinations. So there isn't any hi/lo moves in them which I like. I'm thinking that Cathe must have consulted with somebody that is in martial arts for this series or she has observed classes. Mostly because it would be difficult for her to come up with the moves in the Fusion wo on her own. This wo is not intense but it was fun and time did go by fast. I don't like the hopping type drills so I just did kb swings and jump-roping with my Airopes instead. Unfortunately, even though Cathe's form is getting better, I think her hooks are getting worse. They almost look like elbow strikes.

The heavy bag section was not intense but it was good.
Old 01-18-10, 01:21 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Unfortunately, even though Cathe's form is getting better, I think her hooks are getting worse. They almost look like elbow strikes.
She does a lot of elbow strikes in Fusion. Maybe she was getting them confused.
ddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 01:39 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
She does a lot of elbow strikes in Fusion. Maybe she was getting them confused.
Kickbox also has elbow strikes. She does call out hooks and elbow strikes and they look a little bit different when she does them.
Old 01-18-10, 05:49 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
I'm thinking that Cathe must have consulted with somebody that is in martial arts for this series or she has observed classes.
Way, way back when she first announced an MMA series (before STS Strength was even announced) she said she's been taking lessons with a boxing (?) instructor. But that was over two years ago!

Her 'too-wide' (hit-yourself-in-the-face) hooks are another thing that makes me wonder if she hasn't been doing a lot of KB lately.

On the other hand, her "icebreakers" now actually look more like a hit (a downward elbow strike, rather than the previous 'hit with the fist or side of the forearm).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 06:38 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Kickbox also has elbow strikes. She does call out hooks and elbow strikes and they look a little bit different when she does them.
Actually, she's off on a few things you would only notice during preview. For example, she does a jab jab in the first combo of kickbox? not exactly sure they run together. But sometimes she does one jab, sometimes she does two, although she cues it as jab jab. Not just one time, but all over the place. Plus she does look confused in a few places. Didn't notice it while doing the workout.

MMA Fusion was good and what i expect from Cathe.

I agree on the hooks, some of them didn't look right. However, I've never taken Martial Arts.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe friedrich, kickboxing, mma, shock cardio, sts cardio