Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-16, 09:07 PM  
Aurora C.

What got you the ab results you were after?

Forgive me if this has been asked before. I searched and searched but did not find answers on previous threads. What got you the ab results you were after? ...and how have you maintained them?
Aurora C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-16, 10:27 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Pilates, hands down. Consistency is the key to maintaining it for me, I do a short Pilates ab focused segment at least 4 or 5 days a week.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-16, 11:07 PM  
Stephanie_B

Pilates. I do it 3-5 times a week.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-16, 06:19 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Another vote for Pilates. Earlier this year I was doing short pilates segments - consistently, about 4 times per week, and I had nicely pulled in abs and waist. Then I've stopped doing pilates for whatever reason, and my "results" have pretty much disappeared. I'm starting new rotation today and once again I'll be including pilates workouts. With these, consistency is the key.
Old 08-15-16, 06:23 AM  
wendy2

Consistency over time, working core 3-4 times a week for 8-10 minutes each, with a combination of moves that hit the core muscles from many angles. I happen to use Cathe pretty much exclusively for core, but I really think that results come from consistent, moderate to hard work.

The results I aim for are a strong core to help me in daily life and my job. I think planks have helped a lot with that, as well as working the low back and general strength training for upper and lower body. It all seems connected.

If you're talking about visible results, for most people that involves diet and keeping their body fat low--not really much to do with the actual workouts. Some people carry very little body fat in their mid section, so their abs might be flat and lovely even though they don't have the strongest core...
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-16, 06:46 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Good question. I do finally have very flat abs, and I do Pilates frequently, sometime more than other times. For me, it is just consistency. I work my abs a lot. Not every day, but probably at least 5 days a week. All kinds of different exercises. Standing abs, traditional abs, Pilates etc. I do a lot of cardio too, and of course you need cardio to burn the fat off of the abs! Just wanted to add, you have to work the entire core, planks are good for that!
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-16, 07:42 AM  
Aunt Famous

All this (especially Pilates) -- and as my friend the trainer once said, "Good abs are made in the kitchen."

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-16, 07:51 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Pilates, hands down. Consistency is the key to maintaining it for me, I do a short Pilates ab focused segment at least 4 or 5 days a week.
This.
Old 08-15-16, 08:10 AM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Famous View Post
All this (especially Pilates) -- and as my friend the trainer once said, "Good abs are made in the kitchen."

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
I agree! I do need to get a couple pilates dvds. I am hoping that will also help my back.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-16, 09:40 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Well, I had really great abs when I went to Pilates class 1x/week and belly dance class 1x/week. I wasn't trying for great abs - just health and wellness (my back injury was just 1 year out from acute, but I still struggled. This proved to be a winning combo.) I did this for about a year and a half until I moved.

At the time, I was overweight but you could still tell I had good abs. I never quite appreciate it until stopped due to moving, fell off the exercise wagon, and lost the gains.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ab results, flat abs, pilates, short ab workouts