Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-16, 08:58 AM  
MathTeacher

I'll be 50 in January. My goal was to lose 50 pounds before my 50th birthday. I lost 42 and hit a plateau. Instead of hanging in there I gave up. In July I had officially gained half of the 42 pounds back. It was a turning point for me.

I started with Barre3 28 to Great. I was really pleased with the results. Right now I am addicted to barre workouts. The Bar Method Change Your Body and Barre3 Total Body Lift are my favorites.
Old 09-05-16, 09:01 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I remember you Carla, welcome back to VF! I'm so glad you will dust off your Maya DVDs and join us in the Kundalini check-in - that's a great way to motivate you "from the ground up."

Whenever I've been in a slump (and sometimes it doesn't take a lot - even being sick for a few days gets me back in the abyss) - my go-to practice is to get outside and walk and breath the fresh air. That always changes my mind frame, then I'm ready to observe what my body needs and how to make a restart plan.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 09:29 AM  
Fitstick

I would say try Cathe Live! It's made working out a lot more exciting for me, I love it!
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 10:01 AM  
alisoncooks

I'm currently a re-beginner (with a sizable weight gain). The dvds that I reach the most for:

Leslie Sansone Walk it Off in 30 Days (has a 30 minute walk and a 30 minute weighs/strength segment -- really like the weights part)

Jane Adams Gentle Yoga (the heavier I am, the more aches and pains I have -- this dvd really helps)....as well as her new dvd, Strength & Balance

And now that it's cooling up outside, I take walks.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 10:31 AM  
andtckrtoo

I'm 52 and just had a mastectomy, so I need to come back slowly, too. I just ordered Jessica Smith Walk Strong as I thought it would be perfect to ease back into workouts. I'm used to doing Cathe caliber workouts. I'm happy to hear that these are not beginner or easier.
Old 09-05-16, 10:36 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Hi Carla, welcome home!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 11:00 AM  
Rhonda

Welcome back Carla. I turned 50 last month and just enjoying workouts. I did Jessica's walk rotation and loved it. Very doable
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 01:11 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Welcome back!
I remember you.
There are also a lot of fun youtube workouts.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 03:36 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Welcome back!

My No.1 go-to workouts are Leslie walks (and sometimes Jessica's, too), hands down!
I find myself in a slump quickly if I've overdone it with harder workouts for a while and then really feel like not wanting to work out for weeks!
In general I keep coming back to Leslie as I just love her walks, the music, the crew and I give myself 'permission' to "only do 1 mile" if I'm not really feeling it! (Many times it results in actually doing 2 miles or even 3, but even if not, I'm happy to do 15-20 min cardio and it keeps me consistent!)

Other than that I love doing yoga, it helps me connect more with my body & mind and makes me feel more happy about myself, inside & out!

My suggestion would be to do something that you truly enjoy without dread! That's the only way to stick with it IMO!

Good luck!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 04:15 PM  
MARIKA

Christine- Glad you came home! Do you have internet access daily? Also I just turned 51 and I always have major **** flung my way too

Christine- Wow, I had no idea. we are here for you. Hang in you are one tough cookie.

Tags
over 50, restarting