Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-02, 11:32 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

anyone with flat feet (low arches)?

Hi folks,

I went to a great running store last weekend and they recommended a pair of Adidas running shoes to me after assessing the way I walk, the bunions on my feet and the kinds of activities I do (I told them I was contemplating doing interval run-walks in the spring once the snow is gone but that for the most part, I would use them for speed walking, floor aerobics, some spinning and weight training). When I tried them own, they had great lateral motion support which is exactly what I wanted because my last pair of Nike cross-trainers was lacking in that and I think, might have contributed to some of my knee problems (my right foot was always rolling outwards when I was lunging and squatting).

Anyhow, I tried the Adidas shoes, did FIRM Strength in them, walked around the apartment in them, and felt that they had too much arch support, especially in my right foot. So, I called the store and they said no problem, they can re-fit for a different pair of shoes. In the meantime, I went to City Sports and picked up a pair of New Balance 1003 cross-trainers (kind of optional but I am in need of two pairs of shoes sooner or later). I used these with Charlene Prickett's Low Impact, High Intensity and they felt better, i.e. I didn't feel as much pressure on my right foot's arch. But then again, they didn't seem to provide as much lateral support as the Adidas shoes. Sigh.

And the saga continues, I explained to my boyfriend's father (an avid runner... he's completed the Boston Marathon five times) that the arch of right foot was feeling uncomfortable in general, yes, even when walking in regular boots or shoes, he took one look at my feet and told me I have flat feet - my arches are pretty much touching the ground. So, he recommended I get arch supports from the local pharmacy and try those. I tried a pair of his arch supports and it felt like there was so much stuff in my shoe, in fact, a bit like when I was wearing my Adidas running shoes! So, now, I'm all confused. Has anyone dealt with flat feet, arch supports and the ordeal of buying the right workout shoes given these circumstances? Thanks in advance for any advice!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inserts, insoles, orthotics