Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-11, 07:22 AM  
sherry7899

I could not follow Kelly's step boxing workouts at all. I was very frustrated with those and did not keep the one I tried. I also had a LOT of trouble with 30MTF kickboxing, even after watching the tutorial. I don't think a kickboxing workout should even need a separate tutorial! However, I think her cuing has improved a lot since 30MTF kickboxing. I haven't had trouble with any of her cardio workouts after that one, and I can be a choreography klutz.

I really appreciate that she listened to responses about her instructions, and in Circuit Burn instead of saying "punch" she named each type of punch and previewed/broke down each combo first. That was my major problem with 30MTF kickboxing was that she did not name which punch she was doing.

I guess I also have a soft spot for Kelly since she went to college near me, and taught at a gym at the mall near me (well, I was in middle school at that time and found out about it later, but still!)

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 07:25 AM  
kauaigirl

Location: Wisconsin. But I'll always be a Michigan girl at heart!
Katie,

I definitely agree that you should give her 30MTF DVDs a try. I had the same frustrations with her earlier workouts (not just Step-Boxing, but Step-Boxing 2 , Cardio/Sculpt AND NYC). I thought her cuing was terrible and really wrote her off as someone who wasn't for me. I couldn't get rid of those workouts fast enough.

Then I traded for 30MTF Weights and she was like a totally different instructor. I have since acquired all of her 30MTF offerings and pre-ordered a workout for the first time EVER. (Well, technically, I had pre-ordered Shock Cardio, but cancelled that one. This is the first pre-order I intend to keep.) I see the 30MTF DVDs on the exchange all the time, so you could probably trade for one quite easily and give her another try. She may still not be for you, but her new DVDs are nothing like her old ones, IMO.
Old 02-24-11, 07:57 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydogfan View Post
I want to pre-order now just to be a part of your joyous love of Kelly and hopeful innocence about DVDs yet to be...

Katie
Katie - True enough! Actually it is like that with every DVD workout, pre-order or not, you know? We all hope for the best based on descriptions, back cover text, clips, etc., but if it doesn't click with a person, it just doesn't click. No harm, no foul, no big deal. What's right for one person isn't right for another. We wouldn't be individuals if it weren't that way. I think we would be pretty boring as human beings if we were all the same.

Something else will appeal to you, I'm sure. We've all been bitten by the vidiot bug to some extent.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 08:36 AM  
cherimac

I don't have problems with Kelly's cuing (and I think I have all of her workouts) and think her form is fine for the type of lifting she does. I do have problems with people like Tracy Anderson who don't cue, IMO. We each have different likes and dislikes and I think that's why there are so many types of workouts out there.
Old 02-24-11, 08:36 AM  
JP44

I thought Kelly's stepkickboxing workouts were terribly cued and I gave up on both. Her kickboxing takes time to learn BUT it's one of my favorites now. I love her combinations as they flow really well IMO. Plus, once you know them, there's nothing more to learn as you just repeat a combo over and over for 1-2 min. then throw it away.

(I have learned that in KCM-speak, punch = cross.)

I'll pass on TLC as I too prefer the kicking in kickboxing to the boxing (shoulder overkill for me). FWIW, I thought Kelly's boxing combos in Circuit Burn were way more fun than I expected. I had no problems following along. (But 15 min of boxing is my max tolerance level, vs. 30 or 60 min).

I do like the look of her Split Sessions.

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 09:34 AM  
pharma_gal

TLC definitely looks upper body focused..It will be great to rotate with lower body intensive cardio like Cathe's LowMax and spinning. Im looking forward to this one!
R.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 01:10 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
TLC definitely looks upper body focused..It will be great to rotate with lower body intensive cardio like Cathe's LowMax and spinning. Im looking forward to this one!
R.
Great combo idea!

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-11, 06:17 PM  
tltinatl

I really only got into KCM after I bought 30 MtF Weights. I bought NYC a few years before but I didn't do it much because the leg work seemed too easy. Then I started just doing the uppper body premix, which I liked a lot more.

I liked those two so much that I decided to get some of her other workouts from Netflix. One was one of the Stepboxing workouts and another step/strength circuit. Whoa, what a difference. Kelly's cueing is so much better since the 30 MtF series than it was back in the Shape of Things to Come and Stepboxing days that you almost wouldn't know she's the same instructor. She's SO much easier to follow now than back then.

The low circular punch she's doing in the preview probably isn't a hook, but what Kimberly Spreen calls a "rib shot" (I can't remember what Kelly calls it), where the punch is supposed to land on the side of the imaginary opponent's abdomen. She also does them in one of the boxing segments in 30 MtF Circuit Burn.

Kelly said in her comment that she edited the breakdown/teaching of the combos out of the preview. She tends to only repeat the "real" cues the first two or three times through a boxing combo, which is plenty if it's only 8 or 16 counts long and you're repeating it 8 times.
tltinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-11, 09:25 PM  
Diana3271

Did she say when this workout will be available?

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-11, 10:23 PM  
mtnmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
Did she say when this workout will be available?
To quote Kelly on her forum:

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:16 pm Post subject:
Definitely getting these out by April....if i can get people to move quicker, I want them shipped by late march.

Tags
kcm, kelly coffey meyer, kelly coffey-meyer, tlc, train like a contender