Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-03-17, 01:52 PM  
TinaT

Quote:
I joked w/ my co-worker the other day that I know that as soon as my DD is off to college and I have an "empty nest" and more time to myself my parents health will begin to fail and I'll be in caregiver mode. Hope that doesn't happen, but.....chance are........
Too funny you posted this. My mom has been living with us for 3 years now. Just when our daughters became independent. I have struggled finding time for myself for sure. At the beginning of this year something changed in me and I knew if I didn't do something now, I just might never do it. Taking care of myself means I will take better care of my mom.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 06:12 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale K. View Post
Debra Atkinson of Flipping Fifty promotes short (20 mins or less) interval cardio workouts for menopausal women. I like her approach to both fitness and nutrition for menopause, and she seems to base it on solid research. She has a lot of info on youtube, etc.
I second the Flipping 50. Lots of good You Tube video's and her FLippng 50 TV episodes are worth a watch. I am just starting with her Ideas of rotations, weights and cardio and rest as what has worked in the past is no longer working. She really stress rest. Not doing more. And talks a lot about Coritsol and keeping that in check. I also appreciate that it is not a one size fits all approach. She makes suggestions and you need to figure out what works for you. She also has a book that has a lot of the same content.
Old 04-03-17, 06:13 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Menopause

https://www.flippingfifty.com/24-thi...ou-should-too/

Hopefully this links to her page
Old 04-03-17, 06:14 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Menopause

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsr...m3JoZdHQ2yvWPA
Old 04-03-17, 06:58 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
thank you!

OK, so I pre-ordered the original blitz when it became available and then basically forgot about it. I was doing PBL religiously and exclusively for about 2 months. On February 2 I did the original blitz. Wow, I was sore. My glutes/hamstrings were having serious DOMs. The next day I did PBL and HDM cardio. The next I did PBL and HDM Blitz. I did this pattern for most of February. February 9th I did the Blitz toning from the series. I am pretty diligent about doing the foam rolling after the toning sessions, and I tend to do more toning than cardio. I do like the blitz cardio but I hate and avoid impact. I'm trying to incorporate more cardio because even Hamelin says to.

March has been more of the same. I do B3 once/week, PBL about 2-3 times and then the rest is HDM blitz. I do have the series as well as the original. In my opinion they are all different
Original Blitz - incorporates upper body work that I don't really see in the series blitz
http://hamelindabellmethod.tictail.c...ct/blitzmatics

Here is the series that he just finished releasing:
http://hamelindabellmethod.tictail.c...nths-pre-order

and there is one more blitz series coming that hasn't been released yet.

The blitz series has 3 toning workouts and 3 cardio workouts and 3 foam rolling. I am addicted to the 2nd toning release in that series. It uses the magic circle and is so lower body intense. It was during this release that I increased my ankle weights from 2 lb to 4 lb. What a difference. It's funny though, the original blitz and the 1st toning from the series is reallllly hard with the heavier ankle weights and I have to take a few breaks. I can do the 2nd release no issue with the heavier weights. He just released the 3rd series on Friday of last week and I've only doing the toning once and I haven't looked at the cardio yet.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but as I'm in perimenopause and dealing with thyroid issues and being beyond frustrated, I'm so excited something has me feeling good and not wiped out.
Congratulations Sue! I don't like cardio either but I can tolerate the short Kettlebell workouts. I also like rebounding and am glad to see SBF is creating workouts for the rebounder. I will definitely check out the blitz workouts.

~Beth
ealakey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 07:00 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
Too funny you posted this. My mom has been living with us for 3 years now. Just when our daughters became independent. I have struggled finding time for myself for sure. At the beginning of this year something changed in me and I knew if I didn't do something now, I just might never do it. Taking care of myself means I will take better care of my mom.
So true, Tina - if you don't take care of yourself you can't take care of others.
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 07:57 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

For those of you who follow Debra Atkinson on Flipping 50, she posted this weekend that she was filming DVD's! Her post said this was at customer request.

If you haven't checked out her Flipping 50 resources, visit https://www.flippingfifty.com/ She has also written two books available at Amazon: You've Still Got It Girl and Navigating Fitness After 50.

I am currently a participant in a small test group of a new program she has developed called Fit U. You had to meet a minimum criteria (over 50, over 20lbs to lose, modify some of your eating habits and change up your exercise). Yes, I did pay to join. It's an 8 week program and we are in week 3 already. I am enjoying it. The workouts we do are filmed at her home with no music so you can play your own although I don't. The cardio workouts are boxing/kickboxing intervals and, so far, the weight workouts are supersets. Tomorrow will be Day 1 of Week 3 strength workouts, so not sure what is in that one yet.

I found Debra through Facebook - someone I met on a Cathe trip a couple of years ago had liked her page so I checked it out. I'm still not through all of Debra's resources but there are plenty. She recently rolled out a "TV" channel and has some good podcasts as well. I'm still digesting the stuff from the program I am in so I haven't had a lot of extra time to keep up with everything else she releases. It's worth it to check out her information.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 07:57 PM  
ncl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethlakey View Post
Congratulations Sue! I don't like cardio either but I can tolerate the short Kettlebell workouts. I also like rebounding and am glad to see SBF is creating workouts for the rebounder. I will definitely check out the blitz workouts.

~Beth
Who is SBF? And is PBL Pilates by Lisa?
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 08:06 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Suzanne Bowen Fitness
Pilates by Lisa

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-17, 04:38 AM  
donnamp

Thanks, Chaplyn for mentioning Flipping Fifty - I subscribed to her You Tube channel and her "TV" service. She looks like she provides some nice down to earth advice.

I may see if our library carries any of her books.

Thanks again - I will be 50 this year - so very timely!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debra atkinson, flipping 50, menopause, my fitness pal, over 50