Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-10-17, 09:35 PM  
Titus2woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Sandi, Yoga as Medicine is a great book but certainly not one I've read cover to cover! I've found 30 Essential Poses to be a really nice reference manual; I really need to go back to read more of the "For the Teacher" segments now that I am a teacher.
I have really enjoyed these books!!! I think that they are must-haves for a personal library, as I could see me reading several of them as I do my herbal/homeopathic/natural medicine guides. They just need to be on-hand!!!!!

More people fail from a lack of encouragement than anything else!
Titus2woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 09:39 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandi, it's true--I just feel good having a lot of my yoga books on-hand for reference. Plus, I bought the majority of them at used book sales, so I don't have to feel too bad.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-17, 12:21 AM  
BunnyHop

Me again. After reading Lion I went back to the Robin Hobb series I've been reading. Currently mired in the beginnings of the last Tawny Man book. I can't remember if it gets better, but for now I'm stuck and spending time online in the middle of the night instead of cozily reading. At least this time I remembered to wear my robe and slippers, deeply grateful that I'm not way up north in the blizzard. Brrr.

I tried a few more current/fiction books, Truly Madly Guilty (can see why it's being made into a movie, but I couldn't get in to the story) and Five Quarters of the Orange. Made the mistake of flipping to the end and lost interest in going back.

On to more familiar turf.

When my Robin Hobb obsession wanes, or at least while I'm wasting time waiting for her newest Fitz and Fool book to be released, I guess I'll pick up with V E Schwab's Shades of Magic series. I'd read the first, but I never got started on the second. Now that the third is here I have no excuses, and plenty to read. I may well begin again, it's been a while.
Old 03-15-17, 08:43 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I just finished an interesting novel called The Marriage Pact. For any other Stephen King fans out there, it was somewhat reminiscent of his story "Quitters Inc." from Night Shift, which was about unconventional means to help smokers quit.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 03-15-17, 08:53 AM  
PhyllisG

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox byMaggie O'Farrell. I really liked this book.
Esme is a willful child who is suddenly gone at age 16. Years later a young relative is contacted to come get Esme who,is being released from a hospital. No one left in the family ever heard of Esme. She is a family secret.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 06:29 PM  
BunnyHop

Finally wandered away from Robin Hobb.

Buddhism: A Concise Introduction by Huston Smith was interesting, and a fairly quick read, though I took a few months off to read a bunch of Robin Hobb, which slowed me down.

Along those same lines I've got The Wisdom of No Escape: And the Path of Loving-Kindness by Pema Chödrön up next.

For general rereading I've finally picked up The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss again. I don't think I've reread it since his most recent book came out some years back.

Also got The Blood Card by Elly Griffiths, for when I'm in the mood for a straight up mystery.
Old 03-29-17, 06:57 PM  
Titus2woman

Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. While there is some good information to be had, I'm not necessarily a fan of the tone and judgments of others. Just my opinion.

Because of y'all I have the Lion book ready to go next. I'm also reading lots of picture books on kindness and immigration and social justice, etc. with my littlest ones and am enjoying them!

I was given If God is Good: Faith in the Midst of Suffering and Evil by Randy Alcorn. I'm interested, but it's BIG and long, and it will probably be something I read here-and-there for eons....

More people fail from a lack of encouragement than anything else!
Titus2woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 07:04 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Anna, interested to hear what you think of Chodron's Loving Kindness book; I loved the one by Sharon Salzberg! Also, I've been trying to finish Chodron's When Things Fall Apart for awhile now (I like it, I just keep putting it down for other things).

I just finished an interesting novel, The Night She Won Miss America. It's inspired by a true story, one my parents told me as a kid of the only Miss New Jersey to win Miss America (at that time; I grew up in South Jersey) who disappeared that same night.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 03-29-17, 09:21 PM  
upperwside

Reading the confessions of young Nero.. cannot put it down. Also reading my friends new book Mitzy Bytes.. another cannot put down. I need a day time read and an evening read..
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 10:30 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Anna, interested to hear what you think of Chodron's Loving Kindness book ...
Sure, but I'm reasonably certain it will take me a while. Started the little book on Buddhism in early February and only just finished it. Mostly because I got side tracked with mass amounts of fiction, but still.

I do like thoughtful stuff like this for bedtime though.

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, spring reading