Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-02-17, 09:59 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

No, Bluebelle, you didn't spoil it. #8 is the one I read out of order, and I forgot about the end--even though I just read it! Like I said, I kind of dismissed it, thinking it just set things up to get better in the next book. But I agree with you about not liking cozy mysteries to be depressing; I read a few of the Diana Mott Davidson books, but those weren't lighthearted enough for me.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 02:57 PM  
BunnyHop

I've really been enjoying 'Touch' by Claire North. It's a bit creepy, about a body jumper, but so far engrossing. (This same author wrote The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, which I also enjoyed.)

Since nobody's responded since I last posted, I'll just add this here:
I pretty much inhaled Touch. Not sure why, but I guess it is kind of slight. I had no trouble imagining this as a movie. Kind of violent/dark/homicidal, which is not my usual thing these days, but I did enjoy it. Reminded me of an old Denzel Washington movie, Fallen, but I think I preferred the way this one's set up.

What else am I reading?
Just started Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly. Haven't seen the movie yet, and thought I'd give the book a try first, since I generally prefer to do that.

Also reading The Creative Tarot: A Modern Guide to an Inspired Life by Jessa Crispin. It's another 'use tarot cards to inspire your creative efforts' sort of book, and so far I find it very readable and entertaining. I'm actually reading this one all the way through, so far, and am really enjoying the way she does the card descriptions. Unless I'm wrong the book is mostly card descriptions, but she does them well. She links the images/ideas to people and events, historical and modern, which makes it all seem so much less remote and esoteric. (a good thing, if you ask me.) Also, she gives suggestions for other things to read, movies to watch, artwork to study. I minored in art history, so I really enjoy that aspect of it. (And now my to-read list just keeps getting longer and longer, LOL!!) There are also both black and white and color pictures of tarot cards (some her own forthcoming deck, unless I'm wrong.
Old 01-28-17, 10:35 PM  
BunnyHop

Currently reading The White Magic Five and Dime (Tarot Mystery # 1) by Steve Hockensmith and Lisa Falco. It's an engrossing mystery that's just a touch too dark to qualify as a cozy, if you ask me. There's a lot of humor and genuine wit. (A con artist's daughter inherits her tarot shop, and tries to solve her murder.)

It really does seem there's a mystery series about pretty much every hobby, even tarot cards, LOL! This first book in the series seems quite good to me. I've already ordered a used copy of the sequel.

Did I mention that I read Smoke and Mirrors by Elly Griffith? It's the second in her Stevens and Mephisto series, set in the fifties in England. Not bad, but I do think her other series has better character development.

ETA: Our library finally got a copy of Fate of the Tearling, and I made the mistake of jumping to the end to see what happens. Wish I hadn't, and decided to just give up on the book. (i.e., knowing it ends like that ... ) Part of the trouble is just that the series is fairly complex and I'd totally forgotten much of what came before.
Old 01-28-17, 11:12 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I definitely haven't kept up on reporting my reading! Maybe we can get this thread going again; I always enjoy hearing what everyone else is reading too.

So, here's what I've finished recently:
~A Fatal Chapter, the 9th book in the Booktown Mystery series. And Bluebelle, was right, there was a sad development at the end (as well as a surprise revelation at the very beginning!).
~Cold Cold Heart by Tami Hoag. This was the first Hoag book I've read in a long time, and I definitely found it to be a page turner, although she left a few loose ends I would've liked to have seen resolved.
~Wicked, a non-Hannah Swenson mystery by Joanne Fluke. This was BAD. The writing was okay, but the plot was ridiculously stupid and the characters totally unbelievable.
~Overcoming Trauma Through Yoga, which was excellent. It's written for yoga teachers, clinicians, or trauma survivors.

And, I am currently reading my first Joe Hill book, NOS4A2. I'm finding his writing style very similar to his father's (Stephen King), although perhaps not quite as well-paced. I'm enjoying it so far though. DH & I had liked the movie Horns, which was based on a Joe Hill book, so I decided to give his work a try.

Hope to hear updates from others!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-17, 11:25 AM  
difit

February Releases

Here are a few new release's for February. Happy reading!

7th
Echoes in Death (In Death, book 44) - J D Robb
Devil Smoke (Beacon Falls, book 2) - C J Lyons
My Not So Perfect Life - Sophie Kinsella
Bookman Dead Style (Dangerous Type Mystery, book 2) - Paige Shelton
War and Peach (Georgia Peach Mystery, book 3) - Susan Furlong
A Wee Homicide in the Hotel (ScotShop Mystery, book 3) - Fran Stewart
Death in Advertising (Tobi Tobias Mystery, book 1) - Laura Bradford
The Cracked Spine (Scottish bookshop mystery, book 1) - Paige Shelton
Death, Taxes, and Sweet Potato Fries (Tara Holloway, book 11) - Diane Kelly
Every Dark Corner (Cincinnati, book 3) - Karen Rose
Mission Impawsible (Paws and Claws Mystery, book 4) - Krista Davis
A Darkness Absolute (Casey Duncan, book 2) Kelley Armstrong
The Garden of Lamentations (Duncan Kincaid / Gemma James, book 17) - Deborah Crombie
Always – Sarah Jio

14th
Wildfire (Fire, book 3) - Anne Stuart
Every Little Thing (Butler, Vermont, book 1) - Marie Force
Abby's Journey (Saving Abby, book 2) – Steena Holmes

21st
Humans Bow Down - James Patterson (YA Fantasy)
A Conjuring of Light (Darker Shade of Magic, book 3) - V E Schwab (YA Fantasy)
Twelve Angry Librarians (Cat in the Stacks Mystery, book 8) - Miranda James
I See You - Clare Mackintosh
Saved by Darkness (Darkness, book 6) - Katie Reus
Whisper of Love (The Bradens: Peaceful Harbor, MD, book 5) - Melissa Foster
The New Friend (Polly and the Puffin, book 3) - JennyColgan (Kindle) Childrens

28th
Starting Over on Blackberry Lane (Life in Icicle Falls, book 10) - Sheila Roberts
The Width of the World (Vega Jane, book 3) - David Baldacci (YA Fantasy)
Banana Cream Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, book 21) - Joanne Fluke
A Million Little Things - Susan Mallery
Dead in the Water (Mattie Winston, book 8) - Annelise Ryan
Death By Chocolate Lab (Lucky Paws Petsitting Mystery, book 1) - Bethany Blake
Kneaded to Death (Bread Shop Mystery, book 1) - Winnie Archer
Marriage, Monsters-in-Law, and Murder (Ellie Avery Mystery, book 9) - Sara Rosett
A Ghostly Mortality (Ghostly Southern Mystery, book 6) - Tonya Kappes
Expecting to Die (Selena Alvarez and Regan Pescoli / Montana To Die, book 7) - Lisa Jackson
No Darker Place (Shades of Death, book 1) - Debra Webb
Penric and the Shaman (World of the Five Gods : Penric & Desdemona, book 2) - Lois McMaster Bujold
Fatality by Firelight (Cat Latimer Mystery, book 2) – Lynn Cahoon
difit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 11:04 AM  
PhyllisG

Looking for some suggestions for my book club. It is my turn to offer 4 or 5 choices and then we vote.
So far I have Alice Hoffman The Museum of Extraordinary Things and
News of the World by Paulette Jiles.

Any suggestions? What is your book club reading?
Thanks.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 11:11 AM  
sherry7899

Book club suggestion Jodi Picoult "Small Great Things"

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 11:22 AM  
muggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Book club suggestion Jodi Picoult "Small Great Things"
I just finished this!! I had it as a book on cd. It was a pager turner for sure! The topic was hard to digest at times but a very good book that will definitely stay with me for a long time. I also just finished "Chill Factor" by Susan Brown....WOW!! Suspenseful and creepy. Kept me guessing all the way through.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 11:31 AM  
BunnyHop

I've recently finished Fool Me Once (A Tarot Mystery) by Steve Hockensmith and Lisa Falco, the second in the series. The third (Give the Devil His Due) comes out in a few months, and I'll definitely seek it out.

I'm also re-reading Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb. Hadn't revisited this world in a long time, and I'm enjoying it.
Old 02-07-17, 12:26 PM  
Titus2woman

I always love this topic! Y'all already know I'm reading _Younger Next Year_ and LOVING IT, but I started _The Four Agreements_ first and am almost done. I'm chomping at the bit to get to the third book in the Daughter of the Dragon Throne series by my acupuncturist! I have never been a fantasy reader, but I find I cannot put these down once I start.

More people fail from a lack of encouragement than anything else!
Titus2woman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, winter reading