Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-06-16, 07:53 PM  
Orlita

Ugh - totally suffering through this now, at 52. I know I have been spending too much time at work, sitting all day & stressing over deadlines. Not sleeping enough. But I do eat really cleanly (on the line between vegan & vegetarian). I don't exercise as much as I want to, and I have always been an apple shape, but I freaking hate this gut! I am hoping that I'm almost through the worst part, and I can start to get back to where I was(ish). I'm only up 5-10 lbs., but it's all at the waist. Blech.

I keep trying new things in terms of nutrition -- the latest is eating a good amount of fermented foods. And I enjoy it. But so far, no miracles. Sigh...

I guess I should just resign myself to doing the fitness pursuits that I enjoy, and also being grateful that my body is healthy and mobile. That's important to remember.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 08:45 PM  
BunnyHop

For me, quality of life is all about keeping an eye on every aspect of my life. Physical, mental, spiritual, nutritional, fitness-wise, etc

If one is out of balance, the others pay the price.

I've had trouble with insomnia, and have only recently switched medications, and am resting much better, waking up feeling good, and have better energy. I'm hoping that will help me keep going on my most recent efforts to maintain all the good habits that help me feel better.

All of that helps me make better food choices.

Food-wise, mostly what I need to do is plan ahead and keep healthy choices available at a moment's notice. If I have to stop and cook when hungry, it's all much harder.
Old 09-07-16, 05:28 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I had zero hot flashes. For me, the big menopause thing was insomnia. I still have some trouble sleeping but it is way better now at age 60 than it was during perimenopause.

Weight gain--well, here's the thing, for me at least. I am not overweight by any standard, but my weight has shifted a bit. I have a small menopot ... and you know, I've slowly come to embrace it. Catherine Deneuve has been credited as saying that after a certain age, you choose between your face or your a$$. Speaking for myself, if my body fat gets too low, my face looks haggard--truly awful. I've been there and I don't want to go back there. I eat very nutrititiously, exercise a lot, and DH assures me that he finds me "alluring" (direct quote) just.exactly.the.way.I.am.now.

I've decided to believe him.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 05:50 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckirkpat View Post
Weird how we are all so different. I've had once cycle over the past year and have not experienced one hot flash yet. My cousin said I was still young (47) and I will likely experience them in my 50's . My mother had a hysterectomy at the age of 45 so she didn't truly go through menopause so I have nothing to compare myself to. My sister is younger than me (45) and still gets her cycle regularly.
It is definitely true that we're all different. I never had the first hot flash. I stopped my cycles at about age 53. Never had any weight gain either. The only symptom I experienced was some insomnia. That went away pretty quickly. Now I can't stay awake! LOL! (I'll be 60 in a couple of months)

My mom also had a hysterectomy, so I wasn't able to compare myself with her. My sister is 4 years younger and she had a similar experience to me, but earlier in life. She was about 50.

Not sure what to advise on the weight gain. I continue to do high intensity workouts, twice, sometimes three times a day with no ill effects. My eating is definitely better now than it was 10 years ago... not sure if that is part of the reason for no weight gain... could be.
Old 09-07-16, 06:30 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I'll be 50 next week and have never had a hot flash, but I have the weight gain. I was always thin when I was younger and could eat whatever I wanted without gaining an ounce, but I've gained 15 pounds in the past few years, despite exercising. My diet is not the best though and I don't know if that is the sole cause or if this is just how things are at this age for me no matter what I do or eat, but after my birthday, I'm going to get serious about eating better and will see if that does anything. I also have a sedentary job and a lot of stress at the moment because my boss is retiring and we don't know what is going to happen when he leaves next month.

My cycle is definitely slowing down. I haven't had a period since June and I really don't miss it, lol.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 07:49 AM  
Demeris

Perienopause was an absolute hormonal nightmare for me.

I had horrible mood swings--24 hours before the onset of a period, I was depressed and in despair to the point of contemplating suicide. The first time it happened, it terrified me. The second month, I knew it was hormonal and accepted it as part of the process--not something I wanted but didn't like the alternatives my doctor offered me.

This went on for four years. I also had insomnia. I think that between the ages of 52 & 57, I had three hours of sleep each night, on average.

I didn't start having hot flashes until I was 54, then I had a year of almost non-stop hot flashes.

I had my last period the month before I turned 56. I'm 59, now, and I sleep like a baby through the night and have for two years. I have great emotional equilibrium, now. I still get hot flashes, but they come and go. I can go a month or more without a hot flash, then get five in one evening.

I know this thread is about menopausal weight gain, but that weight gain is tied to all the hormonal issues that plague us during perimenopause.

I retired early because of my perimenopause issues. The physical struggle of perimenopause makes me wonder whether or not our culture should have a retreat time, a time of escape from the public expectations placed on us, a time to regroup emotionally and spiritually while our bodies move through this rather traumatic (for some of us) change.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 07:59 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
I had zero hot flashes. For me, the big menopause thing was insomnia. I still have some trouble sleeping but it is way better now at age 60 than it was during perimenopause.

Weight gain--well, here's the thing, for me at least. I am not overweight by any standard, but my weight has shifted a bit. I have a small menopot ... and you know, I've slowly come to embrace it. Catherine Deneuve has been credited as saying that after a certain age, you choose between your face or your a$$. Speaking for myself, if my body fat gets too low, my face looks haggard--truly awful. I've been there and I don't want to go back there. I eat very nutrititiously, exercise a lot, and DH assures me that he finds me "alluring" (direct quote) just.exactly.the.way.I.am.now.

You.are.awesome.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 08:00 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post

Beautiful!

I want to say that my weight gain occurred while doing high intensity and eating "healthy". I changed how I ate a bit and I actually downshifted my workouts to more moderate intensity. I walked more, too. So truly one size doesn't fit all.
Old 09-07-16, 08:10 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

My menopause symptoms were relatively mild - night sweats, anxiety, crankiness - but I was also raging hungry and gained a lot of weight. A year or so after my periods ended, though, the hungries went away and I actually get full faster now and have way fewer cravings. I didn't have HRT so I'm guessing the hormones finally settled. Heavy lifting and "less is more" helped take off the weight. I lost 30 pounds in the last 10 months doing Strong - only 2 or 3 workouts a week, plus walking - and now fit into my premenopause clothing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
The physical struggle of perimenopause makes me wonder whether or not our culture should have a retreat time, a time of escape from the public expectations placed on us, a time to regroup emotionally and spiritually while our bodies move through this rather traumatic (for some of us) change.
It used to come near the end of life; now it tends to come right when women tend to be at the peak of careers, raising kids and caring for aging parents, causing a perfect storm. A lot of women get divorced around that time too, adding more stress. I've read symptoms can last as much as 10 years after the last period.

I'd like to see women stop being so hard on themselves and each other, insisting that we all stay thin and young right up to our funeral.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 08:16 AM  
marki64

This is a topic that I have wanted to question here, so it is timely for me. I am 52 and menopausal, since last Fall (when I went off the pill and took a blood test). I get the occasional hot flash, but have not experienced any other symptoms that people here complain about. I have no sleep changes and have maintained the same weight for the past 20 years (post pregnancy). I have never had a weight issue. I have lost some weight this past year, which could be because my dog keeps me even more active. I seem to have more energy and feel really good. Is the worst yet to come? It sounds like some here are sailing through menopause. My mother sailed through menopause also, so hopefully it's genetic. I have been waiting for all these awful things to happen to my body.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
menopause, perimenopause, weight gain