Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-03-16, 03:13 PM  
Chomper

Nice to see all the cool things people have accomplished!

My biggest accomplishment from a razzle dazzle standpoint was probably that I briefly managed to do unassisted pistol squats early in the spring.

Unfortunately, there was a lot of stress, travel and lack of opportunities for workouts this summer and by the fall I wasn't feeling well enough to workout at my usual level. I have a chronic illness and either I am not building in enough rest days (I love to do so many different fitness activities!), or it is just a cyclical thing that every year or two I need a couple months off of exercise altogether. It is also possible that there might be another undiagnosed health issue going on, so I am pursuing that too.

Anyway, my biggest fitness achievement this year has got to be a mindset one. I was feeling frustrated and bummed out about not being able to workout for a few months. Part of that was because some of my favorite activities had been taken away. But I was also concerned about losing my fitness level - cardiovascularly, muscle mass, strength, mobility, etc. So I was really pleased to find this article and realize that my consistency in working out puts me in the "athlete" category, and that my time off actually has the benefit of making me stronger and improve faster when I do start up again exercising. And I am feeling well enough to get back to a regular exercise schedule again. Yay!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/38...-not-training/
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-16, 03:25 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
Yes even short practices make a big difference and I do sleep better! I try to get in one longer practice a week. Udaya has spoiled me and I am also enjoying MyYogaWorks. There are a ton of short practices on these sites.

As you probably already know there is also a ton of free content on You Tube. I just discovered Leslie Fightmaster on MyYogaWorks and know she has a You Tube channel that I want to explore.
Thanks! That is good to hear! I love a lot of practices from you tube.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-16, 03:41 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I started doing The Firm (again) on March 16. It motivated me so much that I've continued doing it 6 days a week ever since - with a Cathe, Jessica or Jari here and there. I'm doing plyo moves and tall box work that I haven't done in years (at 62). I'm also in better shape than I've been in years and have paired that with what I consider to be a healthy, clean diet focused on health, rather than losing weight. In addition, hubby and I walk 3 miles 5 days a week.

For the previous several years I had been very inconsistent with working out, but The Firm really keeps me interested (not to mention all the DVDs I've repurchased for the second or third time!).
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-16, 04:06 PM  
donnamp

I think my greatest achievement for the year is that I had no major flare ups of back pain! I have been much more consistent with doing my "therapy" which consists of CS/Essentrics, stretching, and restorative yoga and I didn't have to take any time off from working out this year due to back pain flare ups. That isn't to say I didn't have twinges now and again, which I have finally learned to interpret as a signal that I needed to re-evaluate my program and make changes to it. But, I didn't lose any weeks off due to back pain flare ups this year - previously, I would have missed at least a few weeks throughout the year.

So, that is my achievement!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-16, 04:54 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

did this hike- not my article- but 16.5 miles and 4702 elevation gain. The hardest part was getting through the snow at the top, especially since we weren't expecting it. As there had been almost no snow the whole year. I won't lie, the top half mile or so, I had to count steps- I'd go 10, 20 or 100 and rest. The last hour at the bottom took a week (mentally). Oh and I'm 54.

http://socalhiker.net/hiking-san-bernardino-peak-trail/
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-16, 05:04 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Nice to see all the cool things people have accomplished!

My biggest accomplishment from a razzle dazzle standpoint was probably that I briefly managed to do unassisted pistol squats early in the spring.

Unfortunately, there was a lot of stress, travel and lack of opportunities for workouts this summer and by the fall I wasn't feeling well enough to workout at my usual level. I have a chronic illness and either I am not building in enough rest days (I love to do so many different fitness activities!), or it is just a cyclical thing that every year or two I need a couple months off of exercise altogether. It is also possible that there might be another undiagnosed health issue going on, so I am pursuing that too.

Anyway, my biggest fitness achievement this year has got to be a mindset one. I was feeling frustrated and bummed out about not being able to workout for a few months. Part of that was because some of my favorite activities had been taken away. But I was also concerned about losing my fitness level - cardiovascularly, muscle mass, strength, mobility, etc. So I was really pleased to find this article and realize that my consistency in working out puts me in the "athlete" category, and that my time off actually has the benefit of making me stronger and improve faster when I do start up again exercising. And I am feeling well enough to get back to a regular exercise schedule again. Yay!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/38...-not-training/
Yours is a great story!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-16, 06:10 PM  
gilberteswann

I did as much exercise as I could; worked a lot in my garden & other homeowner specialties and also rode my bicycle whenever I could. I started with a kettlebell and like it, and subscribed to EssentricsTV. I had surgery on 1 foot in Nov. so am limited for a few more months but can do floor stuff (pilates, barre, yoga) and am accepting that. But overall happy and enjoying the benefits of these floor-based, foot-sparing practices.
gilberteswann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-16, 07:07 PM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Thanks! That is good to hear! I love a lot of practices from you tube.

Sherry
Good luck!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accomplishments, dollar per workout, fitness achievements, fitness achivements