Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-15, 06:52 PM  
TinierTina

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriann View Post
I believe Rachael Cosgrove mentioned in one of the warm ups of D2S that stretching your hip flexors was a good way to keep your abs looking flatter? She had us stretching each side for at least a minute. I try to keep this up and then I get lazy again and neglect it.

Also Horizontal Conditioning had me with the best abs of my life, but I find myself drifting back to other workouts because I enjoy them more.

Lori
Um, please translate that into terminology one who hardly speaks vidiotese, such as myself ... is the Rachel Cosgrove thing sort of like yin yoga where you do seated hip openers held for several minutes apiece?

Is the second, Horizontal Conditioning, just a fancy way of saying aerobic floor mat pilates?
That way, all I might think of is to download something yin yoga-ish ... save a little money not getting a bunch of stuff ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-15, 07:12 PM  
lorajc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
I agree with Sue. VFers are always trying to be helpful. When they say to watch your diet, they usually mean to cut out processed food, chocolate (also my weakness), and junk food. That's it. They don't go into specifics because diet discussion is not allowed.

However, I was also going to comment that you're not eating enough food. That's all I say since I don't know your whole diet. I agree with Sue that you should talk to a professional nutritionist.

Also, I have seen threads where a VFer has mentioned that they think you're not eating enough. Maybe, you didn't see this advice. I only remembered because I was going to mention the same thing.
And, yes, maybe once or twice I remember someone saying that maybe I wasn't eating enough....but more often...it was just it's all about diet....you have to watch your diet and I took it that I was eating too much. I haven't eaten chocolate since I was having periods....at least those cravings left me!! Junk food is not a habit of mine either...just the popsicles! Which I'm working on right now. And when people were saying watch your diet, I did not take it like don't eat chocolate or junk food, I thought...don't eat SO much. Everyone has a different mind set.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-15, 08:42 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecififi View Post
I am the same - increased belly fat during menopause. This is what has worked for me to lose about 6 or 7 pounds and really help flatten my abs more:

Also, look up insulin resistance. It's very common. Those darn carbs!!!!!

I am 48 (49 this month) and have been in menopause since I was 45.
BINGO!!!!

You win the prize. To this day, I think I am barely controlling wasting syndrome.

MY DOCTOR DISAGREES, but his diet (semi) recommendations had been woefully inadequate going in.

A month after having been diagnosed diabetic, I figured out that the carbs had to go to a severely low level. And keep the calories just a smidge higher, about 5% to 10% higher than I'd thought necessary ... in a d&&t that had kept a good 80 pounds off (to at most, barely in the 'overweight' BMI range; and drifting down to the high end of the 'normal' range a majority of the time) for TEN YEARS' near-continuously, PREVIOUSLY.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-15, 08:55 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
Um, please translate that into terminology one who hardly speaks vidiotese, such as myself ... is the Rachel Cosgrove thing sort of like yin yoga where you do seated hip openers held for several minutes apiece?

Is the second, Horizontal Conditioning, just a fancy way of saying aerobic floor mat pilates?
That way, all I might think of is to download something yin yoga-ish ... save a little money not getting a bunch of stuff ...
I'm not familiar with Rachel Cosgrove's Drop 2 Sizes program except that it had an extended "RAMP" warm-up (Ramp=Range of motion, activation and movement preparation). I don't know if the stretches were anything special or unique to the program.

More about the Horizontal Conditioning dvds can be found here: http://www.horizontalconditioning.com/index2.php

Horizontal Conditioning Volume 1 youtube clip
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-15, 09:01 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriann View Post
I believe Rachael Cosgrove mentioned in one of the warm ups of D2S that stretching your hip flexors was a good way to keep your abs looking flatter? She had us stretching each side for at least a minute. I try to keep this up and then I get lazy again and neglect it.

Lori
I have been doing a lot of Kettlebell Kickboxing workouts lately and Dasha has us stretching the hip flexors before doing ab work to make sure we really work our abs and not our hip flexors, so.... that's two that have mentioned a relationship there.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 09:57 AM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
This is exactly why diet shouldn't be allowed to be discussed here......I kept starting threads about what programs are good for weight loss and everyone kept answering me with its all about your diet...not your workouts.....nobody really knew what I was eating or cared to PM me so they shouldn't have kept telling me that. I have a rather extreme personality....so here I am hardly eating nothing ......and now that i look back on this I think its probably been longer than the period I said.

Then recently, I started conversing with my dear friend....the one that looks like a fitness model in her early 60s and she know all about my injuries and such and i ran down every morsel of food I'm eating...Popsicles and everything and she said I'm not eating nearly. enough calories to support my injuries and showed me articles on the subject. Here I'm thinking its due to my age.
Wait... what? Are you saying that a few people on this forum mentioned "hey ya gotta watch your diet to see results" and you took that to mean that you should skip breakfast and lunch every day for 6+ months??

(If I am wrong in my deduction I apologize!)

In any case, I 100% agree that an appointment with a nutritionist and/or Registered Dietician would be super-duper beneficial for you. And NO not because you are eating too much!!! But because some very basic nutrition education counseling will definitely be to your advantage.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 10:00 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

This article just came through my Twitter feed, might be interesting on the subject of not eating enough. (I just skimmed it and I don't think it would violate diet guidelines. The author is a paleo/ancestral health practitioner, but the article just deals with symptoms of undereating.) I actually don't believe that skipping meals is necessarily so terrible, but it depends on how it's done.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 10:39 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
I didn't say I was upset...nor did I say I'm looking for a magic bullet. I understand it's about diet and exercise.....I was only stating a fact about PAST threads I've started, not this one. And I was eating hardly anything because of all the PAST threads and responses to those about watching my diet.
Gentle hugs. The internet is such a crazy place to try to communicate with people. Diet and exercise are hugely controversial subjects that implore an almost cult-like, religious following. We're all wrapped up in emotions and often times read between the lines that aren't there.

Sometimes it's best (and I mean this in the kindest way) to not ask for personal or health related advice on the internet. I've witnessed it, and been down that road. People don't get the whole picture and are drawing from their own perspective and personal experience.

Everyone is offering advice with the best of intentions.

I know you're frustrated; I'd encourage you to consult with a dietician, nutritionist, or personal trainer face to face. IMHO, it would be well worth the investment to have some face to face, uninterrupted communication.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 02:33 PM  
lorajc

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh1673 View Post
Wait... what? Are you saying that a few people on this forum mentioned "hey ya gotta watch your diet to see results" and you took that to mean that you should skip breakfast and lunch every day for 6+ months??

(If I am wrong in my deduction I apologize!)

In any case, I 100% agree that an appointment with a nutritionist and/or Registered Dietician would be super-duper beneficial for you. And NO not because you are eating too much!!! But because some very basic nutrition education counseling will definitely be to your advantage.
I did not SKIP them.... icut them way back like everyone kept saying until the point they became snacks...let's drop this subject since diet is not supposed to be discussed here...my sister is a licensed dietician....I don't need an appt. Thanks for the advice but can we just drop this.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 02:37 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abdominals, aging, belly fat, diet, menopause, menopot, muffin top, over 50, pooch, post-menopause