Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-15, 02:49 PM  
lorajc

Secrets for Busting Thru Post Menopausal Belly Fat?

I've been on a weight loss mission and in studying my recent "small" weight loss...only 4 pounds....for an awful lot of effort, I was noticing the backs of my legs slimming out a bit, but my belly still sticking out as proudly as ever in all of it's post-menopausal glory as it has been for the past 4 years since I've gained this weight and been post-menopausal - both were not totally related - so I'm not whining about getting old - I caused my weight gain, I know, but I've NEVER had fat like this in my abdominal region....low abdominal region like this in my life. My middle was always slender until recently.

I know I hear on DVDs a lot abs are made in the kitchen and I know diet is important, and I am VERY aware of that right now....and since we are not allowed to discuss diet here, this thread is geared more towards, ab exercises that help hold you in? or I just read an article the other day that had tips on Belly Fat and said that taking a brief 15 minute directly after you eat can help belly fat. It also said that chewing gum does and the Reservatrol in wine does.

It's about those sorts of things. Does anyone have Rev Abs? Did you do it and did it help? Did you do TA abcentric? or if it is about food....to avoid talking about diet, maybe we are allowed to say eating a specific food is good for belly fat? I'm not sure if that is allowed or now.....but you get the jest of it....tips please

I am currently doing the Kettlebell Kickboxing Bikini Challenge. I think I'm going to add some extra abs to the rotation this week. While my core is feeling stronger and I'm noticing a lot more strength in my Kundalini core moves, I think I could use more ab work to pull it in.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-15, 02:59 PM  
videofit

Perhaps improve your posture or try pilates. I've always had poor posture, even as a kid. Went to a physical therapist who said I have lordosis or swayback and to consciously tuck my pelvis at every opportunity. So when I go out walking I try to do that and find I really feel it in my abs which are working to hold that position. I will be taking a pilates class for six weeks very soon.
Old 06-01-15, 10:04 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

The abdominal area has historically been my problem area and Exhale Core Fusion has always cinched in my waist/abs even before I lost weight. Any of the dvds will work as I think they all involve the core area even when focused on butt, thighs etc. Also circuit type workouts, like Pink Firms or Jillian's 30 Day Shred, always improved that area for me. Once I lost my weight, then the cinching in became even more evident. I think I've read that calcium in the diet helps with losing belly fat and I do eat greek yogurt every day. HTH
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 10:16 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

circuit training and non-jumping kickboxing (Chris Freytag, Keli Roberts).

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 10:41 AM  
cherimac

What I eat; barre and pilates; HIIT with a bit of impact, nothing crazy. That's what's worked FOR ME. But you have to work within your body's limitations and I don't think you can jump. Honestly, for me, it's not 80% diet at my age~it's 90 or 95%. I have other friends my age who work out a lot more and far more intensely than I do and weigh more than they want to and that was true for me until I changed my diet.
Old 06-01-15, 10:44 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Honestly, for me, it's not 80% diet at my age~it's 90 or 95%. I have other friends my age who work out a lot more and far more intensely than I do and weigh more than they want to and that was true for me until I changed my diet.
This.

I watch the what not the how much.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 10:45 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I am officially menopausal in 20 days. . . as of June 21st I will be 12 full months period-free (not holding my breath; I have made it to 11 months before and got my period and had to restart my countdown all over again; SUCH A DISAPPOINTMENT!!)

Anyway, I have not gained an OUNCE, but things are definitely shifting and yes, more to the belly. So I don't think it is necessarily just about weight. I weigh about 5 pounds less than I did two years ago and yet what weight I have has SHIFTED to places it didn't used to be! --And just in the last year since I have been period-free; this didn't happen during perimenopause, at least to me.

SO. . . I am not sure what i am going to do, feeling a little aimless at the moment, but I'm thinking about working in some T-Tapp (because that was magic for me a few years ago). The T-Tapp basic and instructional really worked for my midsection a few years back.

P.S. --you know, I have seen this same thing happen to my female CATS. They get a hanging swingy belly at a certain age even though they are not overweight cats. So I guess what that has taught me is that I'm glad I'm vertical. HAHA.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 10:47 AM  
DejaDeb

As an avid exerciser at age 54, I am tone and trim all over ... but I still have a pooch that just won't quit. Sometimes it just sucks getting old.
Old 06-01-15, 02:54 PM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
This.

I watch the what not the how much.
This.

I had a flat stomach and small waist naturally up until age 35. Now, at 40, I seem to be taking after my mother. *big sigh* I must eat foods that are as whole and natural and unprocessed as possible or I see minimal to zero results.

As far as exercise, the 2 things that made a difference in my lower belly were doing jog/walk intervals on the treadmill AND pilates classes at least 2x/week.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 03:14 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Menopausal belly pooch is a tough one. What you eat (or don't eat) is huge, but I also believe the shift in hormones is what starts it. I see so many women in my age bracket, I am 57, who are otherwise slim except for the dreaded pooch.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abdominals, aging, belly fat, diet, menopause, menopot, muffin top, over 50, pooch, post-menopause