Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-14, 02:05 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I saw a DO when I was in my late 20's. I can't find one in my area. There used to be one who didn't do manipulations so he was pretty much worthless.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-14, 01:20 AM  
suzannaerin

I had a very bad experience with a chiro, so I'm not a fan. Conversely, I had a fairly good experience with a DO, who did manipulations, but like a lot of providers in my area, he no longer accepts insurance.

I've found that going to a good massage therapist, being mindful about posture/moving properly, and stretching have helped me more than having anything, though. Highly recommend Barbara Benagh's Yoga for Stress Relief.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-14, 02:16 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

The chiropractor I see--and I haven't seen him in over a year because I've been doing so well, he still sees me when I need it--is strictly zero pressure. His mom is a nurse and he has a soft spot for all of us who work in the field. He is also very pro health practices including vaccinations. I recommend him to people monthly, it seems.

Agree that DOs who do manipulations are a great alternative if you can't find a chiropractor or don't like those available.

Spoken as a very science based RN who is also a Reiki practitioner. YMMV

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-14, 10:20 PM  
Chris T.
VF Supporter

I'm a huge believer

In chiro practices. My oldest son has also gone to one since he was 1, for chronic ear infections. I have one now who also does accupuncture, too, and I'm a big believer in that. My current chiro also is a big believer in massage therapy and stretching/yoga, too. I've had shoulder/neck issues and seeing a chiro regularly has helped it.

Don't apologize if it works for you and you feel better!
Chris T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-14, 11:02 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I've been to three different chiropracters in three different towns, all of whom have adjusted my neck over the last 21 years and I have to say, not one of them has EVER jerked my head around or cracked my neck in ANY WAY!

I have gotten tremendous relief from spasming muscles in my upper back/shoulder/neck area over the years with nary a jerk or crack in sight. No strokes yet, either.

My current chiropractor, who I've seen for 12 years, has an AWESOME massage therapist. I love her. I often see them in tandem.

(and he's not anti-vaccination.)
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-14, 07:59 AM  
donnamp

SusanP, I have had my neck adjusted, also, and never, "jerked" either. I feel that the technique my chiro uses is safe for me. I imagine people who crack their own necks (I have watched people do this) probably risk more injuries than having a well trained/experienced chiropractor do it. I don't tend to need as much work on my neck though as I do on my lower back/hip/SI joint.

I think it all goes back to the general truth about every profession - there are good ones and bad ones out there.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-14, 09:03 AM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
I've been to three different chiropracters in three different towns, all of whom have adjusted my neck over the last 21 years and I have to say, not one of them has EVER jerked my head around or cracked my neck in ANY WAY!

I have gotten tremendous relief from spasming muscles in my upper back/shoulder/neck area over the years with nary a jerk or crack in sight. No strokes yet, either.
I'm glad to hear stories like yours about chiropractors who don't jerk patients' heads. I have a friend who is looking for a new chiropractor now and interviewing prospective practitioners as she doesn't want to see just anyone. Part of traditional chiropractic training includes this type of neck manipulation so a good number of well-meaning practitioners still do it.

People are free to make up their own minds about any risks they're willing to take of course. The same goes for most health-related decisions in general. Following is a link to more information, feedback from MDs (including a former chiropractor), and various case studies. Neurologists worldwide seem more aware of this issue than many in the medical community, judging by various articles I've read.

Chiropractic's Dirty Secret: Neck Manipulation and Strokes by Stephen Barrett, M.D.
http://www.quackwatch.com/01Quackery...irostroke.html
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-14, 10:19 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

My my chiro has jerked my head, but in the most gentle way possible. It has helped my chronic neck and upper back problems. I'm not sure now that I've seen that article.

Tags
chiropractic, chiropractor