Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-15-14, 09:14 AM  
cristinalatina

It's strange Nora, I've read the articles you linked to. I don't agree with the theory but the actual experience was helpful to me. It's hard to explain how it feels if you haven't tried it. It feels extremely relieving. feels like you're bound in some places and can't move much and someone sets those places free. hard to describe. Even though I wouldn't have had my son adjusted in any way (and we are very much pro-vaccination, OMG I didn't know they oppose vaccination!) I'm going for my follow up visit in an hour, can't wait!
Old 10-15-14, 09:18 AM  
spotted zebra

People have been talking about certain risks for years in some circles and chiropractors are aware there are risks. For the most part patients still don't know. As with anything else that comes down to health, rather than waiting to be told people need to educate themselves.

Here's another link:
http://www.webmd.com/stroke/news/201...igger-a-stroke

"Getting your neck adjusted by a chiropractor or osteopathic doctor may be associated with an increased risk of stroke, according to a scientific statement released Thursday by the American Heart Association.

The energetic thrusts and rotations sometimes used in neck manipulation may cause a small tear in the artery walls in the neck, a condition called cervical artery dissection, the statement noted.

A tear in the artery wall can result in a stroke if a blood clot forms at the site and later breaks free to block a blood vessel in the brain..."

Of course there's no shortage of people who will say their neck felt better immediately after their chiropractor jerked their head and cracked their neck. I had the same procedure done on me as a teenager. Nowadays I'd personally seek neck pain relief in other ways.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 09:45 AM  
donnamp

Christina - I understand exactly what you're describing! That has been my experience. I personally think Chiropractic care can be beneficial if used properly - I don't believe my chiropractor is going to cure my allergies, digestive issues, or anything like that - but if my SI joint is out - he can put it back in and I can get some immediate (and even long term) relief. I also have found, that since I have been going over a number of years the adjustments are easier, the flare ups are less frequent, and when I do have a flare up it takes far fewer treatments to fix it - and sometimes, even just one treatment will do the trick so long as I am careful w/ my activity for a few days afterwards and don't do anything to aggravate it again.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 10:03 AM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I've had nausea cured instantly but only because a vertebra was very close to if not pressing on my stomach. Since my issues are from the waist down, I knew the upper back pain and nausea were related but I went to the chiropractor with the intention of getting rid of the pain. Getting rid of the nausea was a bonus.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-14, 10:20 AM  
donnamp

Interesting, Linda - I never would have thought of that.
Old 10-15-14, 11:47 AM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

my husband has had great temporary pain relied from adjustments.

and I have little doubt that it's an utterly fantastic uber massage.

but once they start claiming to be able to cure this that and the other thing and start siting subluxation

yeah... no

After the insurance was up DH was pressured to go to this guy's private office and the "woo" started

He is, believe it or not, less tolerant of this sort of thing than I am. And he was out of there like a shot

(the anti vax thing really threw me for a loop)
Old 10-15-14, 12:24 PM  
donnamp

Hi,

NoraKate - I'm sorry your DH's experience wasn't entirely good. I don't necessarily think all chiro's are anti-vaccine or anti-traditional medicine. The chiro I see has kids who are vaccinated and I know he sees a regular M.D. and dentist. He and I talk about health stuff in general, but he has never told me not to get vaccines or not to go to a traditional medical doctor -if we talk about things like that is is more in the theoretical sense - just talking about health news/recent treads, etc. He treats my back pain, pure and simple and any other discussions about health are just chatty informal things about an article we read, etc. We often chat about non-health related stuff too like dogs and kids.

I think the key is that not every chiro is good, but not every one is bad either - same for any medical doctor or other professional.

Donna
Old 10-15-14, 12:33 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Another alternative is an Osteopathic Physician, a DO, since they are trained in both manual manipulation and traditional medicine. They can do anything an MD can do, perform operations, prescribe drugs etc. They have the same intern and residency requirements. They can also do anything a chiro can do.

I'm not connected with them in any way, but it may be the best of both worlds. However, some DO's have gotten away from the manipulation part of their training.
Old 10-15-14, 01:01 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Another alternative is an Osteopathic Physician, a DO, since they are trained in both manual manipulation and traditional medicine. They can do anything an MD can do, perform operations, prescribe drugs etc. They have the same intern and residency requirements. They can also do anything a chiro can do.

I'm not connected with them in any way, but it may be the best of both worlds. However, some DO's have gotten away from the manipulation part of their training.
my mom loooooves her ostepath dr
Old 10-15-14, 01:18 PM  
donnamp

I just stared seeing a DO as well! I really enjoyed my first visit w/ her she really took a lot of time getting to know me and discuss things.

Donna

Tags
chiropractic, chiropractor