Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-14-14, 10:43 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i wanted to add - don't rule out being seen by an orthopedic surgeon. i didn't need surgery, but my primary doc referred me.

i took a "before" picture for fun when i was doing P90x years ago. the picture revealed that my shoulders were obviously uneven. fast forward later - surgeon ordered an x-ray, and i have a very unusual s-curve in my spine. it's like if you face me, you'd see the letter "S".

he said it would not require surgery unless it started to impede on the function of my lungs, kidneys, etc. so far, no issues. i could have pushed for physical therapy based on this diagnosis, coupled with pain in my left hip every so often, but i didn't.

given that i have this curve, had i gone to a chiropractor, i would ask specifically for his/her opinion on those shoe plates, but not an adjustment.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 10:55 AM  
katmom

I experienced whiplash of the neck in 2010 due to a dog-walking accident (cat people need to be trained to walk dogs). Orthopedist sent me to physical therapy and I also continued to see a massage therapist for treatment. It would be better for a time, but the improvements were only marginal.

Early summer, I missed many of my massage appointments due to frequent trips to the veterinarian with a sick cat. I happened to mention my neck pain to one of the vet techs and she recommended a chiropractor just down the street. As Spotted Zebra mentioned, I was concerned about letting him adjust my neck, but I was desperate. I am happy to report that after a rather intensive 6 week regimen of 2-3 visits weekly (adjustments, spinal decompression, and e-stim), I am down to one visit every 4 weeks. My improvements have been phenomenal. I credit his expertise with sports injuries, he also credits me with my fitness regimen. He does a lot of work with a karate team and power lifters while his wife (also a chiropractor) works with a local ballet company. Since 2011, he has been voted best chiropractor in the local area.
Old 10-14-14, 01:41 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

this might be a dumb question, but is it rare to find a woman chiropractor?

EDITED TO SAY:
thanks for answering the question - in our little town, i know more men than women who are chiro's.

no more replies needed. back on topic to Cristina's question.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 10-14-14, 01:46 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I go to a woman chiro and she is in practice with another woman.

As far as chiropractic is concerned, I'm for whatever works. The adjustments seem to help a lot of people. My Mother's regular physician told her to go to "old Doc So & So, the bone cracker". He told her "that's where I go when my back bothers me."
Old 10-14-14, 01:48 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
I don't think so - I know of at least 2 in my area that are women.

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 04:13 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
My mother's chiropractor, in the 60s & 70s, was a woman (I still remember her name: Dr. Poole).

The chiro I saw a few years ago was a woman (her name, I can't remember, but she was in practice with her husband, also a chiro).
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 06:26 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

There are two women chiros in the little town I live in. Several in surrounding towns, too. I don't think it's unusual at all.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 06:37 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:

EDITED TO SAY:
thanks for answering the question - in our little town, i know more men than women who are chiro's.

no more replies needed. back on topic to Cristina's question.
thanks everyone.

Old 10-15-14, 05:39 AM  
SquishyMommy

My ex-father in law is a chiropractor and so is his brother. Both have very different methods and style when it comes to treatment. All chiropractors are different just as all doctors are different and you should choose one that fits your wants and needs.

As for them being bashed by the AMA, my ex-FIL was always going on about the animosity between MDs and Chiropractors. He claimed it all boiled down to the fact that MDs like to just prescribe drugs and treat symptoms while chiropractors are more concerned with getting to the root of the problem and treating the problem itself, not just the symptoms. He said MDs don't like that they lose patients when symptoms disappear so they hold a grudge against any alternative forms of treatment that pull patients away from them.

As for my personal experience with chiro treatment, it's done nothing but help me. I don't do it on a regular basis at all, but there have been times I've had neck problems that chiropractic care has solved for me without my having to take drugs. I hate taking any medication so that is a big plus for me.
Old 10-15-14, 07:30 AM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiropr..._and_criticism

huh!!
interesting

Tags
chiropractic, chiropractor