Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-14, 03:03 AM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
My advice? Educate yourself, draw your own well-informed conclusions, and proceed with great caution.....

(Some of my own skepticism is rooted in my distrust of the way they've managed to gain the right to bill insurance companies, and have managed to prevent the membership of the AMA from criticizing them. I've also heard some sad stories about unethical billing practices, and how seeking chiropractic help delayed someone from receiving actual medical treatment.)
They were able to gain insurance billing because they graduate accredited schools and are licensed by all 50 states. And there are plenty of sad stories on unethical billing practices in all branches of medicine (just looking at Medicare fraud statistics, MDs get the biggest slice of unethical pie in terms of actual dollars, but of course they have a larger representation).

I know someone personally who was told he would need surgery to correct back pain. His pain resolved completely with chiropractic and massage so the surgeon who gave the recommendation actually delayed the treatment that was ultimately effective. He had a financial incentive to do so. Most of my friends (lot of athletes) use chiropractic care as part of their regular maintenance program.

It makes good sense to approach all health care professionals cautiously. But I'm glad that there are options outside the "traditional" setting. I'm sure there are strong feelings when it comes to preferences and I really appreciate that we can pursue treatment that matches our goals.
Old 10-13-14, 06:33 AM  
Demeris

My mother saw a chiropractor regularly from the mid-60s until her death in 1980.

One of my mother's legs was about 1/2 shorter than the other, and she suffered from crippling back pain, even though she had shoe inserts to even out the legs.

She had to drive or be driven 60 miles for her chiropractor visits, but I can testify that she would transform from a blob of pain into an upright, pain free woman in less than an hour.

When I injured my back with yoga, I immediately found a chiropractor (and am thankful that my insurance paid for the treatment). She treated me manually, with some kind of rolling machine (my gosh, I loved that thing), and with some electrical stimulation. She also recommended some stretching that eerily resembled both Classical Stretch and T-tapp. I have been able to keep my back in good shape without going back to the chiro, but I would return in a thrice if I had a problem.

To reiterate Susan P's comment, it sounds as if you found your answer when you could lift your little boy and carry him up stairs.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 08:37 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I visited a chiro for lower back pain. He was great and he had that wonderful rolling machine that Demeris mentioned. Nirvana!

He gave me exercises to do, which I still do, and I haven't needed to go back.

I liked him because he was a good medical practitioner with excellent bedside manner and did not try to rope me in to endless weekly treatments. He was quite athletic and understood how important movement and working out were to his patients.

However, I would never let any chiro, even the doctor I visited, lay a hand on my neck and snap my head around. I think that neck adjustment is very risky.

My experience was good, but I was careful and chose a chiro that was well-regarded.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 09:03 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Cristina, I am so sorry that you have to deal with ongoing pain. I too have had chronic lower back issues (compressed vertabrae) for several years, had mild relief from physio and, like you, turned to a chiropractor out of desperation when the pain became crippling about a year ago. I was very skeptical but I have to say that working with my chiropractor changed my life! I am now pain-free and have recovered amazing range of movement in my spine.

This chiropractor was recommended by a good friend, has excellent credentials, and he takes the time to answer my (numerous) questions in a thoughtful manner. I think it is so important to find someone you trust. Good luck!
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 10:57 AM  
donnamp

I recommend it - I have been seeing a chiropractor since 2008, he has worked wonders on my back. I rarely have any flare ups and my range of motion is so improved.

If I have a flare up, a few visits later, I'm fixed. Sort of as SusanP mentioned - 3 visits - cured!

Edited to add - like everything else, there are good and bad practitioners. Like others have said, I don't think Chiropractors can solve all your health problems, but I think they can work on your spine and other joints and increase mobility/decrease pain. My body actually has learned correct alignment as a result of chiro care and I can tell when I'm out of alignment. Thanks to my increased flexibility and range of motion, I can often "correct" myself to put myself back into proper alignment with certain exercises and postures and if I can't, then I simply go in for an adjustment and I'm back to normal and correct alignment.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 11:41 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I am not a fan of long terms chiro care or these big, expensive plans that seem to be the trend. I like "old school" chiros that might see you for a few visits and suggest what might be a fit for your particular issues.

I have seen good and bad chiros. I see a good one right now occasionally along with a massage therapist. I think it's up to you to judge if it is helping you or not.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 11:52 AM  
donnamp

I agree, Jackie. I think it is reasonable to expect that you will have to go in regularly for tune ups as it is easy to get out of alignment, but I don't think "regularly" means the same thing for every body. For me, I like to go a few times a month for some tune ups. I'm lucky b/c my insurance does pay for it.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 01:16 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I am a bit skeptical about chiro as have had a couple of bad experiences, although it has helped me many times as well. I have had good luck with therapeutic massage for general back issues and with Thai yoga massage to deal with hip alignment issues.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 01:39 PM  
Season

Talking

I starting going to a chiropractor after my son was born in 1975, so have had almost 40 years of experience with them. I still go occasionally for lower back adjustments, and just lately for a pinched nerve in my neck. Desk jobs are terrible for the body and my chiropractor and I work together as a team. He also loves Beachbody workouts! I have Kaiser medical insurance and chiropractic services are included so I only pay a $10 copay. I swear by my chiropractor and really appreciate the immediate pain relief. I would not ever give him up.
Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 01:46 PM  
mspina

My sister and I (different chiro's as we are in different states) have both had GREAT GREAT GREAT experiences with them. In my particular case, I'd been seeing PT's on and off for reoccurring issues for years, but the issue would always return. It wasn't until I saw a good, sports focused chiro that figured out the CAUSE of the issue, that it was finally fixed for good. Big thumbs up.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chiropractic, chiropractor