Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-25-13, 11:53 AM  
rosepetals

Barre Amped DVDs

I haven't seen much written about the actual workouts review wise. My workouts went by the wayside for a bit, so I am working on getting back on track. My muscles are sore today from the workouts I have done this week which include, indoor recumbent bike work, doing T.A.'s 9th month pregnancy workout and Ellen Barrett's Floor workout.

Today I did the first DVD in the set called Basics. The Barre workout ran 20 minutes. Suzanne Bowen offered lots of helpful workout tips at a slow pace, kind of like an introduction. The first 15 minutes was barre work for the quads and hamstrings, glutes. The number of reps were enough that me being out of shape was able to complete easily. It wasn't so many that you are exhausted and shaking like other workouts.

It was very beginner like. It was followed by a 5 min. stretch. I think for most people here the basic workout is probably too easy. For me I kind of enjoyed it knowing I can add on a yoga workout, classical stretch, or other type of workout of more intensity. The first workout is definitely for waking up the muscles gently on a lighter workout day. Even though my muscles have been really sore, this workout did not affect them in a negative way. It made them feel looser, relaxed. In comparison to Barre3, the first DVD was much easier.

I will try to post on the other DVDs in the set as I get to them.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-13, 12:41 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Which DVDs are these?

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-13, 12:49 PM  
rosepetals

I received them in trade. I was told that they were sold on one of the home shopping channels. It is a set of 7 Barre DVDs by Suzanne Bowen. I haven't found it for sale anywhere, maybe it went out of print already?
Old 07-25-13, 01:51 PM  
Susan

HSN sold the DVD set for a very short time. I believe it was priced at $99.95, and it came with an odd-looking little portable barre. I'm pretty sure it was sold under the Body By Jake label, but it disappeared off the face of the planet almost as quickly as it was released, so maybe there was a problem with it -- it's a fairly new set, yet it's already not available for sale anywhere, so maybe the barre had a fatal flaw or something. I remember that I thought it looked pretty tippy when I saw it.

If I recall correctly, it sounded like several of the DVDs were very short -- like having one 10 minute workout or one 20 minute workout on a DVD, and people thought all 7 DVDs-worth of workouts could have easily fit on one or two DVDs.
Old 07-25-13, 05:08 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
HSN sold the DVD set for a very short time. I believe it was priced at $99.95, and it came with an odd-looking little portable barre. I'm pretty sure it was sold under the Body By Jake label, but it disappeared off the face of the planet almost as quickly as it was released, so maybe there was a problem with it -- it's a fairly new set, yet it's already not available for sale anywhere, so maybe the barre had a fatal flaw or something. I remember that I thought it looked pretty tippy when I saw it.

If I recall correctly, it sounded like several of the DVDs were very short -- like having one 10 minute workout or one 20 minute workout on a DVD, and people thought all 7 DVDs-worth of workouts could have easily fit on one or two DVDs.
Thanks for the info ~

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-13, 05:57 PM  
hotncmom

Barre Amped was one of those things I had on my watch list for a year or more. I was really disappointed at how they were released and packaged. I hope she will consider re-releasing the material someday on DVD without the rinky dink barre. Her BarreAmped promo on the website is so awesome, I was hoping the DVD's would be similar to a live class.

http://studiobarreamped.com/
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-13, 09:06 PM  
rosepetals

I did the second workout in the series tonight. The workout was 15 min. long with maybe 3-5 min. devoted to stretching. It is a beginner workout with each move having about 8 to 16 reps. She did work that hit all the muscle groups. Ex. quads, glute foldover, front of the thigh, inner thighs. While it was a short workout it did leave my beginner barre muscles feeling it a little bit.

A regular healthy person probably would not feel anything from the workout. I do have MS which affects my abilities and strength. Just saying for a person of normal abilities it probably wouldn't do much for them. I felt disappointed that it was so short. Why put one 15 min. workout on a DVD? The first workout was 20 min. They easily could of been put on one DVD.
Old 06-30-18, 10:17 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

OLD THREAD ALERT!

Did any of segments from the Body By Jake series wind up on Suzanne's Barre Amped releases?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 07:36 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Ha! Thanks! I was reading this and wondering what was going on, since I was sure Barre Amped is around today.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre amped, body by jake, suzanne bowen