Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-12-11, 01:11 PM  
bfit

OT: opinions of chiropractic treatment?

Hello again. I'm the same person who wrote a few days ago about neck and ear pain after visiting the dentist. Well, the initial pain went away in about a day or so, but then it spread to my shoulder blade area and finally up to my neck. I think it was the entire trapezius on the left side that ended up hurting. I couldn't turn my head or get up and down out of bed without extreme pain, and even just sitting still it would throb and cramp up. Finally, yesterday morning (almost a week after this all started) I saw the doctor. She prescribed an anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxant plus one of those foam collars to support my neck. All of that has helped a lot, but the drugs have completely wiped me out, and I'm doing nothing but moping around the house. And the collar really limits any activity.

The doctor also suggested seeing a chiropractor in case there was something "out of place". I've never seen a chiropractor for anything before, but I've heard that it can be painful and not helpful. The idea of someone moving my neck around right now makes me cringe. Does anyone have any experience with this? I've been thinking about trying it after it doesn't hurt as much but maybe by then it will be too late anyway. Opinions?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 01:48 PM  
Juli

DH and I both go to the Chiro periodically to get our neck adjusted. I prefer the sudden crunch (snap crackle pop) method where he prefers the more gentle rubbing massage type therapy. Luckily our husband/wife Chiro team use different approaches so we are both happy.

I find that it's more a fear of pain than actual pain. It's a loud cracking noise and after 2 seconds it feels like I can breathe better, see better, hear better. Strange I know.

Shop around and ask questions. Let the Dr. know your fears and don't be afraid to tell them what you're looking for. There are lots of different styles and you need to be comfortable with your choice.

Good Luck!!

"Que Shiraz Shiraz"
Juli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 02:09 PM  
muddjeansgal

Love love love chiropractic. I started treatment at age 14 for asthma, so this type of treatment has been in my life a long time.

Juli is right, each doctor has a different technique. If you are afraid definitely let them know.
I used to think I would never want a female chiropractor because I thought she would not be able to adjust my neck but she turned out to be one of the best I had and had a very gentle approach. So that might be something to consider, plus I think having her hands small she could properly reach the bad spots.

Another thing is that sometimes it takes a little while to get some relief depending on the injury.

Good luck.
muddjeansgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 02:14 PM  
SurferGirl

I worked for a chiropractor at one time. I believe in the benefits of getting chiropractic adjustments. Actually, I am a big believer in alternative medicine.

Here is a link to some information that my be helpful to you.

http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/chiropractic-pain-relief

I hope you feel better soon.
Old 04-12-11, 02:15 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

I love the chiropractic treatment too! DH started going regularly this year as well. I prefer the manual manipulation myself (as opposed to the 'adjuster gun'). I have a rib that constantly slips out of place and it can usually be rectified by manual manipulation coupled with massage therapy. It typically slips out at the back, but there was once when it started slipping out of place in the front as well and the chiropractor used the adjuster gun for that area...which I was thankful for because the chest area is much more sensitive than the back and it was uncomfortable. However, it didn't hurt.
Old 04-12-11, 02:38 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

A bad chiropracter can be a bad thing but in general, a good chiropracter is worth their weight in gold. My right trap seizes up on me so badly that it hurts to BREATHE and swallow, so I feel your pain, literally. When I get like that (which isn't often because I've learned to recognize the signs and get to the chiro preemptively), my chiropracter starts with massage and it helps SO much, then he adjusts me gently. When I'm completely seized up it takes about 4 visits to get completely loosened up and pain free again. The first visit, though, gets me functional.

I definitely recommend chiropractic. While I started with "a bad chiropracter can be a bad thing" it was only because I've heard stories. I've never actually seen a bad chiropracter but I know they must be out there or there wouldn't be the stories that there are.

Look for someone who graduated from Palmer College of Chiropractic. That's pretty much the gold standard for chiros.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 02:42 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
A bad chiropracter can be a bad thing but in general, a good chiropracter is worth their weight in gold.
ITA!

There are definitely different skill levels as well as different techniques that they use. I've had experience with both types of chiropractors (good and bad).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 03:10 PM  
Tan

I went to see a chiropractor for back and foot pains after the birth of my first child. As I recall he practised the McTimoney method, I'm not sure of the spelling. It was amazing, one session cured both problems. If I had more money it is definitely something I would invest in as a general well-
being thing periodically.
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 03:16 PM  
Indy

Limited experience with chiropractors - and felt it was a rip off. I went to see one for my back - they set up a regular schedule of visits (each visit taking more $$$ - very expensive) seemed to do very little in my opinion. I was sort of expecting for them to crack my back or to get a massage or something and to feel some relief. I got none of that. In the meantime, I was supposed to ice my back and do some stretches. These 2 things worked wonders!! I now ice my back when there is pain and stretch every single day. I don't need to pay anybody to do that.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 03:22 PM  
Gayleski

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
A bad chiropracter can be a bad thing but in general, a good chiropracter is worth their weight in gold.
Absolutely!! I love my chiropractors. They also have massage therapists on staff, and hold regular core classes.

Tags
chiropractic, chiropractor, chiropractors