Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-09, 03:21 PM  
Stevie W
VF Supporter

[QUOTE=christinan]I love the BE Buxom glosses....smells like chocolate mint or vanilla mint...very nice. I can't use the powders though as my skin feels itchy after. And the shadows don't stay on me and I'm afraid to use a primer due to eye sensitivity and being a contact lens wearer. Things usually go in my eye and then irritation sets in and rubbing all day.

QUOTE]
with all the chat about BE stuff -- particulary rare minerals-- I don't understand the point of the RM product. I had it. I tried it. I used it till I had to dig out the sponge and it did "zero" for me. nothing. I am picky about mineral texture, talc, bismuth and all that stuff and use mineral makeup carefully and cautiously (PX is a good one, Colorescience and even some l'oreal stuff is good) I hear MAC has some great ones.

Just my 2 cents. I don't get into that product.. however there are plenty of others and philosophy has some great stuff.

LA-Story.com (blog)

Facebook.com

Twitter.com/LAStory

Pinterest.com
Stevie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 03:24 PM  
MelissaR

Renova is great stuff, but very very expensive! They d/c'd the higher % (can't remember, .05% maybe). I used Renova for a few years & liked it alot. It took a while to get past the peeling. Also, you have to adapt application frequency to your own skin's tolerance. Normally I used it every other day, but in the winter, I had to cut back even more. According to my dermatologist, the active ingredient in Renova is the same as Retin A (tretinoin), but it's the "vehicle" that it is in that makes the difference (less peeling). Due to the increase in price for Renova & the d/c of the 0.05% that I was using, I decided to try generic Retin A 0.025%. Fortunately, I got good results, can use it every day (usually, have to skip a day now & then), & my insurance covers it (I pay a $10 copay) because it's not for "cosmetic purposes" like Renova is. My advice is give the cheaper versions (I'm talking about prescription version) a good try (give them at least 3 mos or more). Worst case scenerio, your skin won't love them &you will have to use a more expensive version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneM
I got an Rx from my doctor for melasma (brown patches/spots) on my face. She had me try Tri-Luma, and in my case, insurance covered it. You are supposed to use it for 3 months and then take a break from it.

YOU WILL PEEL. I had to scale back to using it literally once a week. I put on the cream and literally, in 2 days, MAJOR skin peeling. I thought my skin would "get used" to it, but it hasn't happened. It did help with the spots, BUT if you don't use a high SPF during the day, they will come right back.

My next venture is Renova...maybe it's less irritating.
MelissaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 03:28 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

What is the bismuthstuff in mineral make up? Not good?

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 03:32 PM  
MelissaR

The very BEST eyelash curler I found is at: http://www.hotlashes.com/
It's heated, but since I have stubborn straight lashes & this gets them curled & they stay curled (after I set them with mascara). It works on 3,D, atteries or you can buy an AC adapter. Personally, I think the unit heats up quicker & hotter with the AC adapter. I learned from personal experience that you should NOT use your own adapter even if it fits & the unit works. Mine worked a while then one day started smoking from the heated part!

Since this device is a must have in my beauty book (I LOVE IT) I broke down & invested in another unit with that came with the AC adapter ($50, but worth it & you did indicate that you "don't even care how much. . ."). If you decide to get it, let me know how you like it.
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O
Can anyone recommend a good eyelash curler? I always used a regular curler, but they don't seem to work anymore. I bought a cheap little heated curler, but that doesn't work either. My lashes have gone stick straight as I've gotten older.

I don't even care how much I have to pay. I need to find something to put a little curl into them!

Thanks
MelissaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 03:51 PM  
Stevie W
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzette
Avon Anew Perfect Eye Care Cream - day

Avon Anew Retroactive Serum - night
Avon's great,
Osmotics,
Dr. Pickart's products
ILA-- a new natural line
Timeless Secret has a great eye cream.
B Kamins (LOVE this!)
and also there are a few drugstore products 40 carrots is a great one. I happen to like it very much
Stevie

LA-Story.com (blog)

Facebook.com

Twitter.com/LAStory

Pinterest.com
Old 01-03-09, 04:56 PM  
Stevie W
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaR
Renova is great stuff, but very very expensive! They d/c'd the higher % (can't remember, .05% maybe). I used Renova for a few years & liked it alot. It took a while to get past the peeling. Also, you have to adapt application frequency to your own skin's tolerance. Normally I used it every other day, but in the winter, I had to cut back even more. According to my dermatologist, the active ingredient in Renova is the same as Retin A (tretinoin), but it's the "vehicle" that it is in that makes the difference (less peeling). Due to the increase in price for Renova & the d/c of the 0.05% that I was using, I decided to try generic Retin A 0.025%. Fortunately, I got good results, can use it every day (usually, have to skip a day now & then), & my insurance covers it (I pay a $10 copay) because it's not for "cosmetic purposes" like Renova is. My advice is give the cheaper versions (I'm talking about prescription version) a good try (give them at least 3 mos or more). Worst case scenerio, your skin won't love them &you will have to use a more expensive version.

I use retin-a generic as well. I wish I could get Triluma but my insurer says it's cosmetic (right.. I want to have dark spots from different things all over my face. --rosacea break outs, allergic acneic breakouts. sun damage).
anyway.. I have to talk to my doc on about the retin A thing.

Stevie

LA-Story.com (blog)

Facebook.com

Twitter.com/LAStory

Pinterest.com
Old 01-03-09, 04:58 PM  
Stevie W
VF Supporter

that's a fabulous deal. wow.
Stevie

LA-Story.com (blog)

Facebook.com

Twitter.com/LAStory

Pinterest.com
Old 01-03-09, 04:59 PM  
Stevie W
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody
What is the bismuthstuff in mineral make up? Not good?
bismuth is the ingredient that makes your face reflective. a physical substance that will cause you to have that ghostly pallor if you take a picture you will show up as white faced (or whiter. )-- also it increases the glow factor.. (which I don't want shine or glow in mineral makeup. ) here's a link to a site that talks about mineral makeup

http://www.mineral-makeup-reviews.co...al-Makeup.html

LA-Story.com (blog)

Facebook.com

Twitter.com/LAStory

Pinterest.com
Old 01-03-09, 06:36 PM  
Diavolobella
VF Supporter

I still am, and always will be a faithful Bare Minerals user. I also love the Rare Minerals, which I use at night over Differin gel. I also love their Buxom plumping lip glosses. They plump effectively, come in pretty colors and aren't gooey or sticky. Smashbox lip glosses are also outstanding, and they make gorgeous eye shadows that apply and wear beautifully. Their pigments are just plain good.

As far as skincare, I love Purity Made Simple cleanser by Philosophy. It cleans off every bit of makeup including mascara, never dries my skin, smells good and is just all around perfect. I also use their undereye cream.

I also swear by prescription Differin. I use it nightly and never EVER break out. As a side benefit, it eliminates/prevents wrinkles. You do have to have it prescribed for acne though, because while it is prescribed for cosmetic purposes as well, your insurance usually won't cover it for that reason alone. I'm 45 and thanks to good genes and Differin, no one believes I'm not in my thirties.

Oh, and my new favorite perfume is Ralph Lauren Notorious.

One thing I've ex-ed off my list permanently though are Estee Lauder lipsticks. They stink and I mean literally. I used to use them and they never had that nasty sour/sweet smell until about 5 years ago. The first couple of times I thought I got a defective product, but I now realize they are INTENTIONALLY putting whatever that stench is in their lipsticks. P.U.

"We all want the looooove...without the handles!" Tracy Effinger

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Diavolobella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 09:15 PM  
Stevie W
VF Supporter

differin for acne (got that intermittently.. hmmm good thought there). and then use for lines/wrinkles. will it do anything for pigmentation issues?
(dark spots left from breakouts?)

LA-Story.com (blog)

Facebook.com

Twitter.com/LAStory

Pinterest.com

Tags
beauty, beauty thread, beauty tips