Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-01-09, 01:12 PM  
Susan

Official 2009 Beauty Tips Thread

Well, it's a brand new year, so I thought someone had better get the annual Beauty Tips thread started!

I just bought the new Smashbox Ultimate Beauty Collection, and I think it was an incredible bargain at only 59.99. I bought it directly from Smashbox.com, but it's the same holiday Rapture kit that's sold out at Ulta -- the box I received even says it's an Ulta Exclusive.

Happy and Healthy New Year to All VFers!!!

Susan
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-09, 05:24 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

I used to love Smashbox lip gloss. Then got frugal and stopped. Now I'd like to know if mineral make up really does moisturize or is it still in our own skin, hydration that gives you a creamy look? I bught some el-cheapo stuff at Stop and Shop, but it's not the right color and I want back to minerals or what was it,?? Models Prefer. Is that still out there?

Also more questions: Anyone use the air brush make up thingy? also a deep pocket item.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-09, 06:39 PM  
Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody
Models Prefer. Is that still out there?
If you're thinking of the Models Prefer brand that was sold on QVC by Stacy Schieffelin, that brand is no longer in business (mainly due to a lawsuit between Stacy and QVC.) Stacy now markets a new brand of makeup on HSN called ybf, which stands for "your best friend." I don't think ybf has a mineral makeup, though.

About the airbrush thing -- I've never tried it, but it looks too messy for everyday use, and cleaning it out must be a nuisance. I can picture myself using the stuff and ending up with frightening flesh-colored eyebrows, hair, and clothing.... not to mention a similar problem on my bathroom walls, mirror, the cat...

Susan
Old 01-01-09, 06:47 PM  
hypnomoon

Susan, I got that Ulta Smashbox kit and oooohhhhweee! Yea, it's a deal (if you don't have any makeup to begin with...lol!). But I had to have it.

So what's the lawsuit between Stacey and QVC? Funny there would be a lawsuit and then she'd be on HSN, since QVC and HSN are owned by the same corporation/person.

Kimberly
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-09, 07:24 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

lol. on both accounts. so is the new stuff dial up also?
of course I want to know what the law suit is also. man. I've also seen people go to hsn from qvc. I didn't know they were by the same corporation/person. but they sell totally different.

~~~Cheryl

Old 01-01-09, 09:30 PM  
Susan

I read about the lawsuit on the QVC forum, but you can also Google to find more info. Here's the link to the QVC forums thread -- I don't know if I should be posting it here, so if there's any problem with that, I hope the mods will delete the link.

http://community.qvc.com/topic/Beaut...ave/5700044452

I've also read elsewhere that Stacy wanted to expand the Models Prefer line to include other merchandise (skin care, maybe? I can't remember.) and QVC wouldn't go for it. She also wanted to sell her stuff at other places than just QVC.

As I understand it, Models Prefer is still sold on QVC-UK, but isn't available in the US anymore -- I know the Models Prefer website was having a big clearance sale a while back, but I don't know if it's still going on.

So basically, I know the rumors, but am pretty light on the facts!

Susan
Old 01-01-09, 10:04 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

thank you for finding that. Wow. That's all I can say. I liked that stuff too. Just because you could get any shade you needed. Can't do that with minerals.

~~~Cheryl

Old 01-01-09, 10:38 PM  
*pet*art*girl*
VF Supporter

I'm still nuts over Bare Minerals (past 4 years or so). I think that if you are a 'woman of a certain age' though, you really need a base moisturizer layer to help it cling to your skin. I also use a (gasp) NON- Bare Minerals under-eye concealer because I find that the Bare Minerals concealers tend to make my fine wrinkles more noticeable.

Want to mention that Bare Minerals makes great lip gloss - not sticky/tacky (the bane of my lip gloss existence) and it looks/feels nice. Smells good, too.

I started using Rare Minerals, the Bare Minerals company's nighttime anti-aging-type treatment, about a month or so ago, and I am liking the results. My skin looks more rosy and fresh in the morning, and my pores do look smaller. I think it has helped with under-eye darkness, too.

I have used Pro Activ scrub for years and find it continues to be effective for me.

“Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must first set yourself on fire.”
- Reggie Leach

“A big shot is a little shot that kept shooting” - Unknown
"I caught myself cheating! Shame on me!" - Cathe
*pet*art*girl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 12:39 AM  
christinan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *pet*art*girl*
Want to mention that Bare Minerals makes great lip gloss - not sticky/tacky (the bane of my lip gloss existence) and it looks/feels nice. Smells good, too.
I love the BE Buxom glosses....smells like chocolate mint or vanilla mint...very nice. I can't use the powders though as my skin feels itchy after. And the shadows don't stay on me and I'm afraid to use a primer due to eye sensitivity and being a contact lens wearer. Things usually go in my eye and then irritation sets in and rubbing all day.

My new fave stuff is Philosophy shower gels....the baked goods / foody ones. YUM! My fave is Belgian Waffles Their glosses are yummy and amazing also. I use them at night and during the day and wow my skin is so soft all the time now. The flavours are super yummy too and not sticky at all, and super shiny. So far I'm loving root beer, cherry cola, s'mores, egg nog latte and coconut frosting isn't bad either. I have a few more on the way and some others that are so so flavours so I didn't list them as they aren't faves....

...Come to Me all ye who are weary & heavy-ladened and I will give you Rest...
Matthew 11:28 / KJV ~ "The Holy Bible"

°~°*~*°~° Tina °~°*~*°~°
christinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 09:49 AM  
patrice
VF Supporter

Eye creams

I'd like to know what are your favorite eye creams. It seems everytime I get an anti-aging one, I look worse!

TIA
Patrice
patrice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beauty, beauty thread, beauty tips