Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-14-08, 04:34 PM  
Hazel Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmoes
Thanks alot - that really makes sense. Is this what I am looking for in the specs of the bike: SRAM PowerGlide 850, 8-speed, 12-26?

Does it matter how much tension you have set between the back wheel and the trainer?
Yes, and yes.

The 12-26 is your smallest to largest cog on the back. My guess is that you've got the following cogs: 26-24-22-20-18-16-14-12, although I can't be 100% sure of that. It's no biggie -- you do know that Troy's gear ratios are just guidelines, right? Much more important to try to match the suggested cadences and HR targets/perceived exertion levels. Many of his suggested gear ratios are targeted to very VERY advanced cyclists (and even a lot of those folks often think he's crazy when he gives those targets!)

The tension on the back wheel does make a lot of difference. I'd check the instructions that came with your trainer -- they often specify a recommended number of turns of the dial (after the wheel and the canister of the trainer touch) that will give the most realistic ride. (This assumes that you have a fluid trainer, though -- in some of the older Spinervals, you hear Troy talk about having your trainer tension set on medium, but it's my understanding that that's for the older style trainers that had light, medium, and high tension settings.)
Old 11-17-08, 07:02 AM  
slmoes

Thanks for all your help - this should help with all the miles my bike and I need to get done this winter (training for a 1/2 ironman triathlon).
Old 11-17-08, 08:55 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

It's interesting to see that he has 15 second rests during the ABB workouts. Anyone know the rational behind this? I've always done endurance workouts like this completely steady state.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-08, 09:39 PM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP
It's interesting to see that he has 15 second rests during the ABB workouts. Anyone know the rational behind this? I've always done endurance workouts like this completely steady state.
Probably to keep them from being totally boring! ABB IV doesn't have any rests at all, and I couldn't stand that one. But I can tolerate the other ones because of the little rests. Not because it was a chance for a "rest", just a mental break. You are really only letting up a little during the rests, so mostly you are steady state through these workouts.
Old 11-17-08, 10:44 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa C
Probably to keep them from being totally boring! ABB IV doesn't have any rests at all, and I couldn't stand that one. But I can tolerate the other ones because of the little rests. Not because it was a chance for a "rest", just a mental break. You are really only letting up a little during the rests, so mostly you are steady state through these workouts.
Thanks Lisa. That makes total sense. And since the music is bad, it would be hard to do it any other way.

I actually like doing one long interval, varying the cadence only sightly, as long as I have great music. If all is going right, I can manage to get into that zen-y state like you can riding outdoors. But the music must be good. I'm constantly on the lookout for songs in that 85 to 100 BPM range.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
Old 02-13-09, 11:54 AM  
caligurl

i realized i never did a breakdown for myself for the newer "101-the starting line" dvd... so here it is:

Workout A
All levels
Cycling skill & aerobic fitness development
Total run time: 32:57

1) One leg drills 3 minutes (30 sec per leg) (SR/15)
2) Cadence: 3 X 30 sec @ 30 sec rest. (SR/15) Start at 90 RPM and Bump cadence up every 10 sec.
3) Standing: 3 X 1 min @ 1 min rest (10 sec seated/10 sec standing at race pace) (BR/15)
4) Build Gearing: 3 X 30 sec @ 30 sec rest (BR/15, BR/13, BR/12 shift every 10 sec)

Workout B
All levels
Threshold & speed development.
Total run time: 41:21

1) Tempo: 3 X 40 sec @ 20 sec rest (SR/15 cadence 120+, BR/11 or 12, SR/15 cadence 120)
2) Power: 3 X 15 sec @ 45 sec rest (build 5 sec, 100% 10 sec)
3) Steady State Tempo: 3 min Race Pace (BR/any)
4) Build Sets: 3 X 1 min @ 30 sec rest (change gear every 20 sec BR/15, BR/13, BR/12)

his evilness seems really funny in this one (or is it because i was only watching it and not doing it????) this one will make a nice recovery day workout!
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 04:21 AM  
schoolgirl-01

this is great, thank you.

does anyone have the breakdown for the On The Road workouts
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 07:25 AM  
caligurl

i never did breakdowns for the couple that i have cuz they are so different from the actual spinervals... there's no sets, reps, etc.... so i was never sure how to write them up???? (plus i never really clicked with them so i've done them once or twice and never pick them anymore and never bothered buying anymore)
-----
- WWWendy

-----
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
Old 02-14-09, 07:39 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurl
Threshold & speed development.

this one will make a nice recovery day workout!
Developing your threshold and speed is your idea of a recovery workout??? HA!

Thanks for the breakdown.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
Old 02-14-09, 08:03 AM  
caligurl

uhmmmmmm compared to the intensity and length of the rest of the spinervals... and having actually watched the video...... yep..... sure do......
-----
- WWWendy

-----

Tags
coach troy, faq, spinervals