Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-12-19, 06:06 AM  
CHAPLYN61

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
I used to enjoy tuck jumps and flying lunges. My muscles are still strong enough to do them, but my joints are not -- advanced osteoarthritis in my knee. I have worked with videos since the 1980's and know how to modify. It's one of the reasons I prefer working out in privacy vs. gym classes.

One of the things I appreciated about HIIT4 on beachbody on demand was the modifier for every workout. No, it's not as intense as the unmodified moves but it's good enough. I did the whole program without any injury.
Same here. it was the one program that I could even do shoulder work without pain and injury. Love the modifications!
Old 03-16-19, 11:59 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlepants View Post
I have a long torso with short legs in relation, so a lot of yoga poses are truly inaccessible for me. I can't do anything like mermaid or king pigeon-- my legs are too short. Forget compass.

I once wrote about this at r/yoga and the board know-it-all told me I was making excuses. Whatever.
I have similar proportions. Although I won't guess that I'll never be able to do them, I've been similarly unable to do things like bow without using something like a strap. Forward bends, though, are in a way "easier" than I might've guessed.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-19, 07:54 AM  
marki64

Core work using discs. Forget anymore attempts at knee-ins with discs or bear crawls back and forth. Not even going to try anymore. I strained my back once, and don't want to screw up my back. These look fun when Cathe does it, but when I try, it doesn't feel right and I can never keep discs in place.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-19, 04:22 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
Thank you for this. I’ve always had the tendency to over do it, get injured and as soon as I heal I over do it again. At 55 it’s no longer working for me.
I hear you girl! I'm a slow learner, but I am starting to slow down a little. Still do the same workouts I like, but not at a killer pace. Slow but sure wins the race.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-19, 07:31 AM  
aspidistra

I'm 70 and have not been able to fully bend my knees for about 13 years. Tests showed torn meniscus and osteoarthritis. Although they healed with weight loss and exercise, I can never do a lotus, or sit on my heels, ever again. However, I modify exercise programs so they include everything I can possibly do and I managed to get fit and stay fit for long periods of time. Sometimes I go off the wagon and then my joints get stiff again. The key is to do what you are able and never force it!!! All instructors I ever used have said this too.
aspidistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-19, 01:26 PM  
ChelePA

I was thinking of this thread as I was trying to do monster walks on Cathe’s Fit Split Metabolic workout I just can’t get those especially at the pace she does them.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-19, 12:52 PM  
fanofladyvols

Old thread alert!

Yes... can't seem to get past what I would call low intermediate in pilates.

So instead of trying to push myself and feeling defeated, I just hang tight here and focus on enjoying the movement I am performing.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
osteoarthritis, plica