Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-13-19, 03:03 PM  
michl43

Question Mobility- Chiro and Massage

Ive noticed limited range of motion issues within past several years. I am 58. Chiropractor said it could be scar tissue from car accident in my teens, which at that time I had a concussion but felt no injury or pain.. so today was the first appointment and he did many adjustments in my neck and back, and I feel much looser. He wants to see me two times a week and eventually it should taper off to once a week, and then on a maintenance basis. My insurance covers only 20 visits a year. So probably the first year will be expensive. Does anyone have advice on the # visits and with regular exercise (I do mainly CS, Ellen, Pilates, Stretches) that eventually with less Chiro visits I can maintain the better mobility? Also I get so tight I have to get frequent deep tissue massages. I’m hoping too that I could also go longer between massages.

Michelle
michl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-19, 04:53 PM  
karenl

I wonder if a foam roller would help. Lately my legs have been so sore I'm thinking of getting one.

Karen
karenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-19, 05:18 PM  
BunnyHop

What sort of range of motion issues are you having?

For what it's worth, I absolutely do not trust chiropractors.

I'd say you're far better off consulting with your physician to find a physical therapist who can design a treatment plan for you.

If all you really need is massage, then find a good masseuse. I'm willing to bet they'll charge less than a chiropractor.

On the other hand, if you want to try the do it yourself approach, I'm a fan of Melt Method. The books have been out a while, so check the library to see if it's something you might want to consider.

For myself, I've found that regular practice of gentle yoga postures has made a HUGE difference in my flexibility, range of motion and strength.

In terms of Classical Stretch, for me, less is more. For a long time I'd been working out more intensely with it than I do now, and it wasn't doing me any favors. Making smaller, softer, gentler movements is apparently what my body needs. I sometimes work at a slower tempo than Miranda.

I do hope you find some good solutions for your difficulties. Figuring out both what to do and how to do it without hurting yourself or going broke isn't easy.
Old 09-13-19, 06:31 PM  
michl43

I foam roll frequently and do melt, but it isn’t enough for me. I have no problem with the $15 copay, but I’ll need to reassess after the 20 visits.
Old 09-13-19, 07:56 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I would do the CS Connective Tissue or Forever Painless workouts. All that gentle, slow, loosening up connective tissue will do your body good.

Some chiros are good, some are crooks. I have a guy I trust who doesn't want me to sign a contract or plan. I love him. I only go about 1-2X/month.

I really like my massage therapist. He's great....understands chronic pain. He does cost a lot more than my chiro.

ETA---sometimes I foam roll. It can be intense, though. I like Jill Miller's On Demand Pain Therapy....I need to use the bigger Alpha balls.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-19, 08:20 PM  
michl43

I really like those CS and need to do them more often. Today I did CS and yin yoga. I feel a lot more relaxed and mobile after the adjustments. I had a deep tissue massage yesterday, and today the Chiro still found a lot of tightness, hence, a lot of adjustments . I’m new to the Chiro thing, he is really good and close by. By January I hope to be able to go 1-2x a month, which would mostly be covered by ins.

Tags
chiropractor, massage, massage therapy, mobility, range of motion