Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-06-19, 05:57 AM  
ellaenchanted

Smile My Fitbit conspiracy theory

So, I have been using Fitbit for years and always had great luck. I currently have two Altas (I bought another when i thought I lost the one i always wear but found again a couple of weeks later).

My usual Alta just died a few days ago and nothing g would charge. My backup wouldn't charge so i bought 2 new chargers from Fitbit since they quite cheap. My backup won't charge so I figure it is just done. I charge the backup and it works just fine. So, I decide to sync my back up with my phone but I needed to update the software in order to change settings such as the clock face. Fine. Well, now my backup is acting out. After being fully charged yesterday, it wouldn't light up when tapped. I put it on the charger and it was at 25% already. My charge always lasted a solid 5 days. Then, 10 minutes later it was at 80% and working normally again. But, I wonder if this one is going to crap out soon, too.

I noticed the Alta is actually discontinued and replaced with the Inspire. My conspiracy is that Fitbit software is rendering the Alta useless so people have to replace with the new product. Allegedly. It just seems like too much of a coincidence that both of my Altas started acting up at the same time.

I will go sit in the corner with my tinfoil hat now.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 06:06 AM  
bubbles76

I wouldn't doubt it. Didn't Apple admit to doing something similar with their iPhones? That their new software would degrade the performance of the older iPhones? I know I'm going to hate shopping for a new phone when the time comes. I don't have an iPhone, I'm Android, but my phone is 9 years old.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 06:26 AM  
Sweetsal

Don’t even get me started on the demise of the One and the fact that there is no longer any clip-on model at all. I’m happy to say that mine is still working for now. I detest wearing a watch or anything like one and when my One bites the dust I probably just won’t track my steps anymore.
Sweetsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 06:58 AM  
red1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetsal View Post
Don’t even get me started on the demise of the One and the fact that there is no longer any clip-on model at all. I’m happy to say that mine is still working for now. I detest wearing a watch or anything like one and when my One bites the dust I probably just won’t track my steps anymore.
Ditto!
Old 09-06-19, 07:25 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

My One just died back in March (after many years of service) and yes, there was nothing to replace it with that would also count stairs and that wasn't worn on the wrist. I have 4 floors in my house so that feature was important to me.

I have since purchased Apple Watch and I'm happy with it and all the other features it has, even though AW counts "flights" differently that doesn't correspond to the actual floors climbed. Maybe one of these days I'll look into how the "flights" are calculated. I love my AW though.
Old 09-06-19, 07:50 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I agree with you 100%. When my Alta HR dies I'm going to try to break the addiction. Customer service used to be great - my last experiences were dismal.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 09:43 AM  
SuzieC

There was a software update that ruined some devices, but I think that was limited to the Charge 2:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/fit...tery-1.5258511

My Charge 2 mysteriously died mid-August and I wonder if it was this update.
I didn't want to deal with CS so I got the Versa Lite as it was on special.
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 10:03 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetsal View Post
My One just died. I am learning to live without a tracker! I would have bought a new one, but since they have discontinued this model, I will simply do without. Their loss of a customer!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 10:07 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
So, I have been using Fitbit for years and always had great luck. I currently have two Altas (I bought another when i thought I lost the one i always wear but found again a couple of weeks later).

My usual Alta just died a few days ago and nothing g would charge. My backup wouldn't charge so i bought 2 new chargers from Fitbit since they quite cheap. My backup won't charge so I figure it is just done. I charge the backup and it works just fine. So, I decide to sync my back up with my phone but I needed to update the software in order to change settings such as the clock face. Fine. Well, now my backup is acting out. After being fully charged yesterday, it wouldn't light up when tapped. I put it on the charger and it was at 25% already. My charge always lasted a solid 5 days. Then, 10 minutes later it was at 80% and working normally again. But, I wonder if this one is going to crap out soon, too.

I noticed the Alta is actually discontinued and replaced with the Inspire. My conspiracy is that Fitbit software is rendering the Alta useless so people have to replace with the new product. Allegedly. It just seems like too much of a coincidence that both of my Altas started acting up at the same time.

I will go sit in the corner with my tinfoil hat now.
You said, "tinfoil hat!"

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fit bit, fitbit