Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-13-11, 01:10 PM  
SAF

Denise Austin's Sculpt & Burn -vs- Osteoarthritis

Denise's new dvd is rated Beg/Int, but is considered High Impact.

If you have done this dvd, do you think these exercises would be too much impact and move to quickly for someone with osteoarthritis/bone spurs in the spine.

I am trying to convert to more gentle, lower impact exercises, because I am in pain daily, but I have all of Denise's dvd's and tend to like most of her newer ones.

I just need to draw the line somewhere, stop making excuses to myself and take it easier on my body, so this is probably not a good choice, right?

Her newest one coming out with the low impact workouts may be the way to go!
SAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 02:35 PM  
cherimac

I have this workout and like it a lot but don't consider it beginner/int. It is higher impact, although the two sections using weights (kettlebell inspired and cardio sculpt) are lower impact.

I was just browsing at Collage and noticed most of the reviews there comment on the difficulty rating being too low.
Old 10-13-11, 05:53 PM  
SAF

Yes, from the clip it looks like maybe it should be labeled intermediate.

I was thinking I could try it without weights for the 2 toning sections or wear my 1 or 2 lb gloves. It's the overhead movements with the weights I can't do, or I pay for it dearly ,later. Looks like the last section has alot of overhead movements. Not supposed to do jumping jacks either, such a bummer. My mind want to work out harder than my body wants to.
Old 10-13-11, 06:09 PM  
cherimac

I have been experimenting doing all low impact for the last month. (Flat feet, slight scoliosis for me). Today I did Jessica Smith's 10 Pounds Down Cardio workout, adding in most of the impact. I find that I work just as hard keeping things low because I concentrate on range of motion and use my lower body much more than when I add the hopping movements in. Maybe as you get more used to doing lower impact you'll find the same thing.

Good Luck!
Old 10-13-11, 07:42 PM  
SAF

Thank you, Cheri, you may be right. I really don't have a choice at this point, other than to do lower impact, who wants to be in pain. I have all Stephanie Huckabee's workouts and other low impact workout, plus I can modify alot of other ones. So, thank you for your words of encouragement! Upward & onward

Tags
denise austin, impact, osteoarthritis, sculpt and burn