Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-15, 11:40 AM  
JulieIL

Hmm, I have a feeling they'll end up donated... unless DVD players are even tougher to come by than VCR players. My sons tease me (nicely) about exercise DVDs- they are solely into competitive athletics at this point. I have tried to convert my sister, with on and off success.

Maybe I should leave detailed instructions with how to will them to VFers?

Julie
JulieIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-15, 11:42 AM  
cowfishpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Yes, the thought does enter my mind! My guess is that my family will be saying "You'd think she would've been fitter/thinner/stronger with all these DVDs she owned."
That one made me laugh.

Glad to know I'm not alone in my thoughts. I think some of you really hit the heart of what I'm thinking. I have so many DVDs, I reaaly should purge, especially if buying more.

Great ideas about spreadsheets, etc.

And now you've reminded me that my DIL is also a videofit. She will probably know better than to just toss the DVDs.

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-19-15, 01:46 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowfishpro View Post
Do you ever think about what will happen with all your fitness DVDs when you are no longer on this earth?

I know that this is a strange thought, but now that I am 50, I have this silly worry about buying too many fitness DVDs. These thoughts don't consume me, but I hate to think about the burden it will leave on my family of what to do with them when I am gone, and wonder if there is some way to bequeth them to VFers.

I know this sounds crazy, but does anyone else have similar thoughts?
Given away or thrown away. I turned 50 a couple of weeks ago so I know what you mean about thinking about things differently.
Old 04-19-15, 02:38 PM  
TinierTina

Intellectual Property Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I actually wrote out an easy to follow list for my DS to follow. I have it tucked away, with a back-up, with a list of all my passwords to accounts and who to contact at work re: life insurance, where my will is, etc. Basically donating my small collection of yoga props to the yoga studio, my yogi and yogini nephews and nieces and take what they wish of yoga and Qigong DVDs, yoga books to the yoga studio lending library and leftovers to Goodwill or Parks & Rec.
I am actually a possible intellectual threat to local yoga teachers. I have ceased to be an economic one, since there are always new suckers in the upscale neighborhoods in which they set up studio-shop. Just kidding.

Don't laugh. Although the feeling is nowhere near as strong as it had been about a year and a half ago: I've continued to record entire original, self-sequenced instructional vinyasa flow modules complete with cues, affirmations, instructor patter, created in mp3, which I uploaded; and have, offline as well in an mp3 digital voice recorder, and in print form; and with accompanying philosophy in print form (half-baked at this point).

Intellectual property being a thing.

Also creative commons sort of copyrights.

And the "poor man's copyright" - did not do that one (yet
)

Video (or audio)-record dance you teach yourself. (and hopefully others/your heirs: to commercialize) Dance, pilates, and other movement modalities, no matter how "derivative" you may think they are.

Well, not if it's Pharrell Williams/Robin Thicke-level-derivative !
Oh, I may totally be in the wrong forum for this .... GEESH!

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-15, 06:32 PM  
Breezy Trousers

My family will, no doubt, toss all my DVDs into a landfill within 24 hours of my passing. I've already witnessed my family in action after two deaths. They don't waste time and have no problem tossing anything they can't relate to or have no sentimental attachment to. That would be my DVD collection. I can already see my husband happily holding the garbage bag open as my sisters toss the DVDs in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
I think you may over estimate the "burden" Lol They'll likely get dropped at the nearest donation center without pause. Ideally a star truck vidiot will then purchase for a steal and post about their find

The circle of (vidiot) life

Seriously, purchase and have fun today. Death is a free pass on worrying
Too funny.... and true!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Yes, the thought does enter my mind! My guess is that my family will be saying "You'd think she would've been fitter/thinner/stronger with all these DVDs she owned."
This made me laugh, too. I know one sister says that about me now, in fact.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-15, 07:07 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

In case I go before my DH, he already knows to pack up all my "treasures" and donate them to my local library. My library has a fantastic selection of fitness DVDs, second only to mine, so I know they'll appreciate the donation. Someone there knows and appreciates fitness dvds!

As far as the "thinner/fitter" comment goes, when I've complained occassionally about not being fitter from all the workouts I've done, I was told - think how you would look if you didn't do all that exercise! Implication being, caloric input staying the same with zero exercise = results. Frankly, I still don't know how I feel about that comment. It did make me pause and think, though!
Old 04-19-15, 07:08 PM  
Stephanie_B

I've told my husband to contact my best friend (a fellow VFer) and the rest go to Roleez.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-15, 09:01 PM  
angie_nrs

Well, if my boys outlive me, they KNOW my collection is worth a pretty penny. My oldest would sell them on ebay, I am sure. He'll probably wind up on Strange Inheritance. Hopefully by the time that happens, DVD's and some of the VHS I still have will be obsolete.....but it never fails.....what is old almost always becomes new again. I have 3 DVD/VHS players and am always on the lookout at garage sales to add more if the price is right.

Who knows....maybe someday I'll be blessed with a DIL who is a vidiot. C'mon boys.....make mama proud!!
angie_nrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-15, 10:04 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

T., I've actually thought about that too! My family will probably donate my exercise DVDs. No one else in my family has any interest in them. I should probably tell them that some of my DVDs are out of print and valuable (so they could sell them on Ebay if they wanted to).
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-15, 11:35 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

My DH has definitely thought about it and once said to me that our daughters are going to have fun dealing with "all this" after you go. In other words DH is abdicating and it's up to the daughters to take care of it. I'm glad he has a plan.

For myself, I haven't mentally gone there yet but it sounds right to make and leave a written plan for donation.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote