Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-15, 03:11 PM  
Michefit

Wink My diappointment with TA year 2

Hi everyone,
Just finished trying week four (year 2 Hipcentric) and I am frustrated. I wanted to post this on the TA discussion boards - but they no longer exist - I know there are many here who may have some insight, experience or hey - even empathy! I have been loving TA for the most part and the results it has given me in this past year. I am not sure if I have plateaued but I have to give some credit to the design of these workouts in year 2 I know it's a little early to pass judgement - but I HATE the chair! TA often has weird positions and moves and I try each one in good faith that this is a new move that will work my muscles in a new way. But this chair thing is just weird.

There is so much switching the chair from to side to side - I forget which leg I actually supposed to be working - and I have to pause the workout so many times to configure the chair on its side - my leg halfway under - over - in between. By the time I have figure out each move - I am really annoyed and in a bad mood. I really feel that some of the moves are just gimmicky for the sake of looking creative - moves that don't really work anything. So I am going to SKIP this level because I just don't think I can do it again - let alone 10 X. I am also bummed ( - no pun intended) that there are often no ab work -

In short I am feeling thick, mushy in the middle and generally frustrated. I didn't think I would go back to Cathe - but maybe my body needs some traditional workouts again.

Just thought I'd share to an audience I knew would understand. If anyone has had a similar experienced and over come this TA level I would love to know. And if you have other workout suggestions that would be awesome too. BTW I have been doing some Tonique - which is super efficient and leaves not doubt in my body that I HAVE worked it good - so I may do more of this. I am just afraid of bulking - and I can't do Tonique everyday - it is just too tiring. I can only do it 2-3X per week and even then I find myself really sore and a little tired. I would really like to be lean and less bulky for summer.
Thanks in advance
Michefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-15, 03:27 PM  
SuzieC

I was really frustrated with the chair, too. I found it really awkward. I hope someone can chime in to let us know how long the awkwardness lasts. I had stopped working out around then (for personal reasons), and I just made it 5 weeks into year 2. I then switched to streaming and the TA love is back!
Sorry I don't have any advice for you, but I'd love to hear what others have to say, too.
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-15, 03:35 PM  
MARIKA

I don't like the chair either. For me though I do love TA I still have to do other forms of weight training. I love TA, barre and other floor work but it's not enough for me.
Old 04-18-15, 09:18 PM  
mizvespa

Try Ballet Beautiful! The two methods produce similar results (for me, anyway) except I prefer TA arms and Ballet Beautiful everything else.

As far as the chair goes, I've noticed that I really have to engage my center with those moves. The challenge is in the ability to stabilize yourself while performing the angles. I just don't like the stress in my back or the butt results I get with TA (except for the her Post Preg 2 DVD, which is oddly great for the butt). BB seems to target my glutes and hamstrings more directly. In fact, they are fried every time I do a BB workout

Try mixing BB with TA! Seriously! You can still do TA Cardio for the fat burning. BB is seriously cinching, contouring and tightening!
mizvespa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-15, 06:01 AM  
LaCatrina

I only dabbled a bit into year 2,but I totally understand your frustration. For me, the issue is the chair itself. She's using a sturdy chair that's also quite light and without any obstacle between the legs, that's also crazy expensive. I once tried one of the workouts using my regular dinning room chair, and it was beyond annoying to try to figure out how to maneuver it. Then months later I found a knock-off of that same chair in a local discount store, it costed like 70 dollars or so. Needless to say I bought it and I tried another workout again. Zero frustration!!! Seriously. I mean I don't think I got crazy strong in a few weeks all of the sudden. It was the darn chair!!!
Old 04-19-15, 08:43 AM  
Michefit

SuzieC, MARIKA- thanks for empathizing- it's just that exercise time is at a premium and I hate feeling that I am wasting my efforts. I still love TA - but I think I will have to skip this level to "help our relationship" lol

mizvespa - I have read lots about BB on this site - so I may try a workout soon. Are the ones on youtube as good as her full workout DVDs? What do you recommend - I would prefer something more advanced I think (I say this now...

La Catrina - Your post made me laugh I wanted to throw my chair against the wall halfway through the workout yesterday I really did look around for a chair I could buy locally - but I am small town in Canada - and there just wasn't anything. I don't know if I could justify an expensive chair purchase through the mail to DH - do you know if the chair goes beyond the first three months of year 2?
Michefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-15, 09:46 AM  
LaCatrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michefit View Post
La Catrina - Your post made me laugh I wanted to throw my chair against the wall halfway through the workout yesterday I really did look around for a chair I could buy locally - but I am small town in Canada - and there just wasn't anything. I don't know if I could justify an expensive chair purchase through the mail to DH - do you know if the chair goes beyond the first three months of year 2?
True story!!! Maybe if you try Amazon.ca... because in the US site there are several options that are affordable, not the $500 that you have to shell to buy the exact one she uses

From memory... I think you use the chair longer than just three months. I recall seeing it when both Stacy and Maria took over the workouts.

ETA - I found this one. It's the exact same one I have and it works perfect, you can even buy it used http://www.amazon.ca/LexMod-Philippe...is+ghost+chair
Old 04-19-15, 11:54 AM  
SuzieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCatrina View Post
True story!!! Maybe if you try Amazon.ca..

ETA - I found this one. It's the exact same one I have and it works perfect, you can even buy it used http://www.amazon.ca/LexMod-Philippe...is+ghost+chair
That chair appears to be 6 inches tall. I think that would be a little small.
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-15, 12:03 PM  
lorajc

When I got annoyed with moves I couldn't do with the Chair - the Chair is REALLY only their as a support at times - or like you say as a gimmick - so I just left the chair out of the move and do the move without the chair.

Simply do the move without it. This may take a tiny bit of thinking on your part...but not much. It probably is already a move you've done before or something that will come natural. Rather than placing your hand on the chair - it may be the floor - or maybe a nearby wall or couch even? Approximate the move however you are comfortable. That's what I did. I was comfortable, it worked for me, got the job done .....no irritation with that stupid chair. However, I used the chair in the ones that were easy and it didn't bug me.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-15, 02:55 PM  
Becky

This is perfect timing! I just finished Year 2 yesterday.

From memory, you use the chair the first six months, and then it comes back in for a couple of levels in month 12. I too got completely frustrated, especially in month 12. I completely agree that I feel some of the moves are gimmicky and make no sense. I wish they would show you Maria and Stacy actually getting into the positions they're in on the chair because I would have to freeze the TV and work over a minute just trying to get in some of those crazy side planks etc. I finally figured out that if I use my step bench, I could fake a lot of the moves with it. Plus, sometimes just trying to hold the positions on the chair left my form lacking. Once I felt more stable on the bench, I could focus better on correct form.

I have to say, as much as you hate the chair, you will hate the hoop even more. I was cursing that stupid stinking hoop by the end of year 2. I looked ahead into year 3 and thankfully I don't see it anymore. How I HATED that hoop!

I'm actually getting ready to go do Year 3, Day 1 and I'm really nervous. I'm excited that Tracy is back in these but previewing, it's almost an hour and there are 13 moves per leg in the muscular structure.

I agree that you should do what you can and move on. As much as I find myself cursing Tracy, I have to admit there is some magic in her insane method.

The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows . ~ Buddha
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote