Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-15, 02:46 PM  
clerkin11

Does anyone use a sit-stand desk?

With all of the talk about how bad it is to sit all day at a desk (which I do), I am wondering about the sit-stand desks.

I am moving my home office and I need a new desk. I'm debating if it would be worth it to invest in a sit-stand desk. The more modest models run around $800,which is a lot. But for the health benefits, I wonder if it might be a worthwhile investment.

Does anyone here use one of these desks and do you like it? Is it worth it? What kind do you have?
Thanks
clerkin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 02:49 PM  
momofcha

I use one at the office. It's nice to be able to have the option, but there's no way I'd shell out $800 for one.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 03:26 PM  
andtckrtoo

A simple option is to get a desk at the height you can stand, and get a tall chair for it. There are also a lot of other options from using a box to raise your monitor and keyboard, to extenders that will do it for you, to other desks that move up and down. Do your research - there are a lot of options.
Old 03-04-15, 03:37 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I sometimes stand at one of my kitchen counters to do paperwork. Works great if you have the room.
Old 03-04-15, 04:12 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I sometimes stand at one of my kitchen counters to do paperwork. Works great if you have the room.
We have a giant island in our kitchen and I always stand at it with my laptop -- I always stand for working (we work at home). My husband is next to me sitting on a barstool at the island. I like standing. (also doubles as a great place to do standing barre work that I stream!)
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 04:23 PM  
TracyQ

The one I use at work sits on top of my desk. It's adjusts to standing or seated. I like standing so much that I hardly ever use it seated. Prior to purchasing it, I rigged one up using boxes and reams of paper just to see if I would like it. Once I realized how much better I feel standing I ordered this desk http://www.varidesk.com

Now that I stand most of the day I find I don't get the late afternoon energy drain that I used to. I just feel more energized.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 04:46 PM  
clerkin11

I like the looks of the varidesk options.
I have a big apple desktop, so unfortunately, it's not portable and I can't bring it down to the kitchen to try it. Someday I may get a laptop, but I like having a big screen and even more importantly, a big keyboard with a number pad. I work with numbers all day and I hate little keyboards.
I appreciate the ideas and feedback.
Thanks!
Eileen
clerkin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 05:53 PM  
Kellie

I'm a court reporter so I don't have much choice in the courtroom, but in my office transcribing hearings that I take, I've often thought of standing while doing that. For you ladies that do this, what footwear do you wear? If you're in a professional office, can you still wear your heels to stand or would that be bad for your back?
Kellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 06:34 PM  
Footballnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
The one I use at work sits on top of my desk. It's adjusts to standing or seated. I like standing so much that I hardly ever use it seated. Prior to purchasing it, I rigged one up using boxes and reams of paper just to see if I would like it. Once I realized how much better I feel standing I ordered this desk http://www.varidesk.com

Now that I stand most of the day I find I don't get the late afternoon energy drain that I used to. I just feel more energized.
This thread is very timely. I have also been playing around with the idea of a sit stand desk. I purchased this one to test it for a while.

http://www.amazon.com/Workez-Standin...=standing+desk

I was wanting to purchase the Varidesk as well. I just didn't want to spend that much until I knew I would like it. What I hate about the one I purchased is that it is a pain to adjust and I do find I like to sit part of the time. I am a medical transcriptionist, so I have a foot pedal to deal with too, so sometimes I do need a break from standing.
Old 03-04-15, 07:41 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellie View Post
I'm a court reporter so I don't have much choice in the courtroom, but in my office transcribing hearings that I take, I've often thought of standing while doing that. For you ladies that do this, what footwear do you wear? If you're in a professional office, can you still wear your heels to stand or would that be bad for your back?
Good question. I've suffered from Plantar Fasciitis in the past so I gave up wearing heels years ago but I think it would be painful to stand in heels all day. I'm fortunate to work in a low traffic office and have my own private office so I usually work in bare feet and have my shoes next to me which I can quickly stuff my feet into should somone come in.

When I first started standing I found my feet would hurt at the end of the day but that is no longer the case.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desk, stand up desk, standing desks