Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-15, 11:22 PM  
kali

Pear Shape, Cellulite, or Lipedema?

For those who are pear-shaped, regardless if you're at a healthy weight or not, this health issue is something to consider if diet & exercise hasn't been helping. Manual lymph drainage appears to help early stages of lipedema.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipedema

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncvw-SwWk5Q
Old 04-21-15, 06:13 AM  
Sara1000

I had never heard of that condition. Very disturbing.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-15, 07:28 AM  
Demeris

This accords with what Teresa Tapp teaches about cellulite and lymphatic drainage. She's a big advocate of dry brushing, and she designed her workouts to move the lymph.

I'm not pear shape, but some time in my early 40s, my poor thighs got all cellulite-y. At 58, I no longer worry about the cellulite but about maintaining muscle density.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-15, 10:35 PM  
kali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
This accords with what Teresa Tapp teaches about cellulite and lymphatic drainage. She's a big advocate of dry brushing, and she designed her workouts to move the lymph.

I'm not pear shape, but some time in my early 40s, my poor thighs got all cellulite-y. At 58, I no longer worry about the cellulite but about maintaining muscle density.
Yes, I was actually seeing Teresa Tapp in a new light in regards to lipedema. I have often wondered how exactly do so many women claim to lose so many inches in such a short time with T-Tapp; and perhaps understanding lipedema and how it is not the same as health issue obesity, and therefore can not be treated the same way as obesity.

Last edited by kali; 04-22-15 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Clarification
kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-15, 02:32 AM  
Cafelattee

I've seen the condition in patients but its usually diagnosed as lymphedema. I did some google research and found this article regarding the difference between lipedema/lymphedema. I've been a nurse for 23 years but still love learning something new. I've never seen a diagnosis for lipedema.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/...edema-lipedema
Cafelattee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-15, 01:33 PM  
mercedes

Interesting. thanks
mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-15, 01:56 PM  
blablubb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafelattee View Post
I've seen the condition in patients but its usually diagnosed as lymphedema. I did some google research and found this article regarding the difference between lipedema/lymphedema. I've been a nurse for 23 years but still love learning something new. I've never seen a diagnosis for lipedema.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/...edema-lipedema
I'm a german physiotherapist and I treat lip- and lymphedema (don't know the english spelling, sorry). They are in fact intertwined. Patients with lipedema usually already have or are developing lymph swelling. After a while and without treatment and weight loss it starts to get a steady lymphedema, too. The common treatment for lipedema - fat liposuction - is forbidden for lymphedema.

A lipedema doesn't hold the hole after forced touch. It's just wobbely and soft fat tissue that is sometimes hard regarding how much water is retained.
blablubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-15, 09:16 PM  
kali

Mld

Quote:
Originally Posted by blablubb View Post
I'm a german physiotherapist and I treat lip- and lymphedema (don't know the english spelling, sorry). They are in fact intertwined. Patients with lipedema usually already have or are developing lymph swelling. After a while and without treatment and weight loss it starts to get a steady lymphedema, too. The common treatment for lipedema - fat liposuction - is forbidden for lymphedema.

A lipedema doesn't hold the hole after forced touch. It's just wobbely and soft fat tissue that is sometimes hard regarding how much water is retained.
blablubb, what do you think of Manual Lymph Drainage such as that taught by Dr. Vodder for the treatment of lipedema? Is it most advantageous during the early stages? http://vodderschool.com/
Old 04-25-15, 02:38 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

As a nurse who has worked with people with cancer and heart disease for many years, I honestly had never heard the term lipedema until I encountered this thread.

I found this article very informative, although it is somewhat clinical in nature:
http://www.lymphnet.org/membersOnly/...19-1~UnLip.pdf

It seems as though there is a continuum of lymphedema that definitely starts with what I see in the illustrations here. I can't say how many people over the years I've encountered with the various stages of edema/obesity/lymphedema discussed in this article.

I have seen the use of compression and lymphatic drainage massage techniques of some use in many situations. I have a dear friend who has significant lymphedema secondary to surgery and radiation to two of her extremities, and compression and massage help. But it is definitely not just a cosmetic or "skin dimpling" problem.

I've also seen that many very obese people develop strange pockets of tissue that are lymphedema that can only be surgically removed. I'm curious how prevalent this in people who are generally healthy yet experience this phenomenon.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-15, 06:24 PM  
wendy2

My mom has lymphedema in her legs. Her ankles swell like crazy--really it's her entire lower leg. The swelling is always there, but gets much worse with heat and humidity. Over the years she's done compression and other stuff to help, but it's always temporary and she really doesn't do much anymore. She's also been diagnosed with lipedema, which is in her upper legs. It's nothing like as extreme as what I see in the linked pictures, but to her it is enough that she NEVER wears shorts or even capri pants.

I sometimes wonder if I might have inherited the lipedema because the backs of my upper legs and my butt look pretty cellulitey, no matter how much I work out or how thin I get. But I can cover it all with clothes and swim skirts, so I don't worry too much about it. It is nothing compared to actual health problems!
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cellulite, lipedema, pear shape