Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-15, 02:20 AM  
ElisaB

Wink Cracked the TA code? (that sounds cockier than it should)

I have been trying to get into TA for ages. It looked like something I would enjoy, but when it came down to it, I would get discouraged — she moved too fast, did too many reps, didn't give any pointers... and in addition to not getting through the workout, I also didn't feel like I had gotten a decent workout for what I did. Like I had worked hard but not in the right direction. Does that make sense? It was kind of like going through labour the first time, when they gave me oxytocin and the contractions were incredibly intense, but I wasn't dilating. What is the point of that? Who wouldn't get discouraged?? (sorry if this comparison is TMI)

Anyway, back to TA. So clearly it would turn me off, and after talking myself into doing a few more workouts, I would abandon it for a while... a long while. And then at some point I would pick it back up, because I liked it... in theory. Again, I am not sure if this makes sense, sorry

So... yesterday I did the first workout in her TA Method for Beginners DVD. And lo and behold, I could follow along and enjoyed myself so much that I was actually surprised when the workout was over! This is huge for me, because I am recovering from years of chronic fatigue and my energy levels are still a little spotty, so I hardly ever can get through more than 5-10 minutes of exercise.

But this was a completely different kind of video: she gives LOTS of pointers, she moves at a reasonable pace so you can keep up and see what you are doing and have the chance to actually figure out what the movement is supposed to be, where you are supposed to feel it, etc. Now, THAT I can get on board with. THAT doesn't feel pointless.

Now I feel like I might get to do my other TA workouts, and probably enjoy them more. But I am not in a hurry to get there, because I know that if I rush through it I will find myself at the same point again.

So I guess my point is: if you find yourself where I was, liking the idea of TA but not so much the "doingness", and wondering what's what, maybe give the beginner's video a try – even if you are not a beginner exerciser, you can be a beginner in TA, like you can be a beginner in kettlebell training, etc, until you learn proper form.

Now I'm off to do my workout... and I'm quite excited about it — boy, is that a long time coming!

“You don't have to be perfect to be AMAZING
ElisaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 06:01 AM  
twinkletoes

I like her pregnancy set & the post-partum DVD too. She goes slow enough, gives form pointers, and cues. Her other ones I don't think I could do because of the lack of cuing. But I'm keeping these for sure.
Old 07-21-15, 06:12 AM  
ElisaB

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletoes View Post
I like her pregnancy set & the post-partum DVD too. She goes slow enough, gives form pointers, and cues. Her other ones I don't think I could do because of the lack of cuing. But I'm keeping these for sure.
Yes, I am planning on moving on to the Pregnancy Project when I am ready, I watched it and saw that she gives pretty good cues there — but I guess I needed even more of an undercut for the arm portions. Maybe it's because I dislocated my shoulder two years ago and some of those moves never felt very good even before that happened... in the Method for beginners DVD I finally understood the angle and where the arm stops etc.

Old 07-21-15, 03:15 PM  
marya

Congratulations on "cracking the code", Elisa! I have TA's beginner workout but haven't actually done it yet, although I liked what I saw. Her mat workout might be a good one for you to follow with at some point. I checked it out from the library awhile ago--my very first attempt at TA--and I found it very doable, well-cued, not too fast-moving.

I know exactly what you mean about liking a workout in theory but dreading the doing. That's me vis-a-vis Classical Stretch. Perhaps one day I'll crack the CS code!
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 04:29 PM  
ElisaB

Thanks Marya!

I tried the Mat workout and didn't love it — got it twice and traded it both times! — but I plan on following the Beginner DVD (after I have mastered both workouts) with the Pregnancy Project, which looks more like my cup of tea, as it's also slower than many of her other workouts and has more pointers. Good luck on cracking the CS code!

Old 07-21-15, 04:41 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisaB View Post
Thanks Marya! Good luck on cracking the CS code!
Thanks, Elisa--I keep hoping! And I'll watch for TA's Pregnancy Project at my favorite thrift stores. (The Beginner Workout was a thrift store find.) Although I'm postmenopausal and have never been pregnant, I do like prenatal workouts--they're a good option for those of us who aren't into extremes!
Old 07-21-15, 06:43 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisaB View Post

... But this was a completely different kind of video: she gives LOTS of pointers, she moves at a reasonable pace so you can keep up and see what you are doing and have the chance to actually figure out what the movement is supposed to be, where you are supposed to feel it, etc. Now, THAT I can get on board with. THAT doesn't feel pointless.

Now I feel like I might get to do my other TA workouts, and probably enjoy them more. But I am not in a hurry to get there, because I know that if I rush through it I will find myself at the same point again.

So I guess my point is: if you find yourself where I was, liking the idea of TA but not so much the "doingness", and wondering what's what, maybe give the beginner's video a try – even if you are not a beginner exerciser, you can be a beginner in TA, like you can be a beginner in kettlebell training, etc, until you learn proper form.

Now I'm off to do my workout... and I'm quite excited about it — boy, is that a long time coming!
It seems that from what you describe, the workout (its beyond-beginner stages) requires a lot of coordination and possibly some technical practice to get the moves down right, of course; but mostly coordination. Coordination of that degree has to be painstakingly developed.

looks like ballet-based high impact aerobics to me ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?t=79&v=YA8IR04_b-8

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 06:55 PM  
pcramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marya View Post
Thanks, Elisa--I keep hoping! And I'll watch for TA's Pregnancy Project at my favorite thrift stores. (The Beginner Workout was a thrift store find.) Although I'm postmenopausal and have never been pregnant, I do like prenatal workouts--they're a good option for those of us who aren't into extremes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljczQxFuB7o you can try all 9 Pregnancy Project workouts here while you are trying to locate the DVDs. I love these workouts, she cues very well, the pace is just right, and they're tough enough for me
Old 07-21-15, 08:24 PM  
andtckrtoo

Good job! That's exciting! TA did wonders for me and I was faithful to her for a good 5 months. I dropped 20 pounds without even trying. Then I moved to something else and BOOM the weight came back, and I cannot seem to get back into the groove. I hope these help you!
Old 07-22-15, 01:56 AM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcramer View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljczQxFuB7o you can try all 9 Pregnancy Project workouts here while you are trying to locate the DVDs. I love these workouts, she cues very well, the pace is just right, and they're tough enough for me
Thanks for the link, Pamela!

Today there were two TA dance cardio workouts at my neighborhood thrift store--one of them a "beginner". I passed, though. I've read too many negatives about her dance workouts. I did check one out from the library and decided it indeed wasn't for me.

Tags
method for beginners, tam, tracy anderson