Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-13-21, 02:01 PM  
horsemom2

a new tv may be easier to move around than an older smaller tv.
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-21, 02:33 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
i was in costco the other day, and the huge TV on display as you walk in was, i swear, as thin as my phone! i kid you not.

my 32" TV is 9 years old. i bought it from my niece, used. it's a little under 4" thick, and weighs 19 # according to the specs.

i'm more interested in getting a newer screen up to a 24" because it would be easier to move around as we decide how to reconfigure the rooms in our house. the main family TV is in one room, and i prefer to station my workout TV in a separate location, even if my workout space is small, to work out.

i'm giving up my She Shed to DS18 who needs his own room and place to study. so far, we've moved his new desk into the sewing room after i had taken out an entertainment armoire (these are so outdated and unfunctional!).

meanwhile, i am massively purging clutter all over the house. i digress.

having a small, newer TV will allow me to move it as we define how we will use the space in the house.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-21, 02:34 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

A lot of it depends on how big the room is, and how far you'll be from the screen. My "yoga room" tv is fine for the distance. If/when I decide to replace the basement tv, I'll probably just move the 32" tv from the living room, and then get a better one for general tv watching.

BunnyHop makes a good point about seeing details when trying to follow along.
Old 01-13-21, 02:43 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

there is also a suggested ratio of screen size, resolution, and how far away you should be.

the minimum seems to be 3', even for a small 24" screen.

those who have converted an extra TV screen to a second computer monitor are noticing that 24" is the max you can use as a second monitor to your laptop. some people in my family are getting eye strain after relegating a former family TV (like 32") to a second monitor. assuming you're sitting at a standard desk, a 32" second monitor is questionable in terms of eye health.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 01-13-21, 03:51 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

We had 3 out of 4 tube tvs die in a storm a few years back. The biggest size was 20". When I went to get replacements, the biggest ones I could get to fit on our stands were only 28" & 32". I use the 32" in the living room for my workouts. It is fine for them, but the tv is really too small for the room; it might be the equivalent of the 20" tv, but that's about it.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-21, 06:15 PM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
This is true. I can easily lift the flat screens and turn them around and change cords and stuff.
Old 01-13-21, 07:45 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
When I needed a new workout TV (b/c the old one didn't have HDMI inputs), we decided to get a new living room TV and I got the old 65" one. It's immersive - I really feel like I'm in the room with the instructor.
When I workout in the family room, we have a 65" tv (very thin) and it is more "fun" as far as the immersive thing goes. The colors seem bolder and brighter and it just feels more cheerful when I'm walking along to Jessica Smith workouts. Problem is there's only enough open floorspace in the family room to do walking videos and even those I have to be careful when walking backwards or diagonally that I don't bump into something. Plus, I hate dragging anything out--even just tubing or a chair--because I have to put it back every time I'm done working out. But I do still do walking videos with my mom in the family room.

The tv in the workout/guest/knitting room is a 32" flat screen because I'm limited by the dimensions of the opening in the old fashioned tv armoire it sits in. Even if I got rid of the armoire, the workout room is kind of long and narrow and I find I get the most open floorspace by having the tv on the narrow wall. So I'm not sure how much bigger a tv I could get even if I got rid of the armoire. I guess I should measure sometime and see if it's worth it.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-21, 05:33 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
The tv in the workout/guest/knitting room is a 32" flat screen because I'm limited by the dimensions of the opening in the old fashioned tv armoire it sits in. Even if I got rid of the armoire, the workout room is kind of long and narrow and I find I get the most open floorspace by having the tv on the narrow wall. So I'm not sure how much bigger a tv I could get even if I got rid of the armoire. I guess I should measure sometime and see if it's worth it.
the old fashioned armoire - yes. when ours was in the sewing room, the 32" screen would not fit in the cavity where the former TV used to sit. the former outdated TV was this flat screen with literally a big-@55 where the cheapo cardboard at the rear of the cavity had to be cut to accommodate it. that thing weighed a ton, which we got free from my uncle. it was a state of the art TV at the time - hard to believe how far we've come.

anyhoo.... the 32" had to be placed on top of the armoire, so if i was doing any sort of floor, supine, and lord forbid, prone or table work, i couldn't see the instructor! i had to hope the cast member in the back was in sync since they would be visible to me.

getting a 24" would provide more options as far as setting it up.

Tags
monitor, television, workout rooms