Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-21, 01:30 PM  
kat999

I just got a Pony-O last year, and I am so discouraged with it. Did anyone else cave and get in on this trend? I love the look of a high ponytail, so I got sucked in by FB ads. I've tried manipulating the thing every which way, and it ALWAYS looks droopy and/or falls. Anybody have advice? My hair is very long and of medium thickness, naturally wavy, but I usually wear it blown out and smoothed slightly, then either flat ironed or in loose hot-roller curls. I thought it would hold really well, given that my hair takes to things like curls and whatnot very easily, I can usually keep hair accessories in quite well due to the level of grippiness of my hair. Not this one!
Old 01-09-21, 02:19 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sherry, thanks so much for the additional info! That makes sense about the cleansers. And I actually did just buy some of those makeup eraser things! I bought little pads that you can toss in the washer; they are going to arrive on Monday.

Is this the Noxzema that you have tried? I find it to be very gentle and the fragrance doesn't seem to bother me:
https://www.target.com/p/noxzema-ult...t/-/A-12819150

Maybe I'll try to be consistent with using my Alpha AHA in the a.m. (I like the product and it seems to have worked well for me in the past) and one of the 2 Dermedicine products in the p.m. After I use use that up I'll go back to the Differin.

I really appreciate the info!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-21, 03:07 PM  
Leonana

You’re welcome! I enjoy following skincare social media and these are things I’ve read. I know not everything applies, but I just post it all, lol.

No, I have never used that Noxzema. I can’t, my face would burn like fire lol. It doesn’t bother most people, I just thought I’d mention the possibility.

I have those makeup remover pads! I use them after cleanser, the black side for eyes, the white side for face. Then I use the cloth after that. I probably don’t need to use both, but I have them so I use them.

Your plan sounds great! I use AHA once a week and love how my face feels afterwards. I’d use it more often if I wasn’t using Retin A. But I’m 61 and need the big guns!
Old 01-09-21, 03:24 PM  
Leonana

I forgot about azelaic acid. It’s supposed to be more gentle than AHA and BHA’s. I don’t know a lot about it, so did a search. I have a tube of it, and after reading this article, I think I’m going to try it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/shopping/ski...-skin-n1236351
Old 01-09-21, 04:15 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks again Sherry! I have more follow-up questions (for you or anyone else who wants to chime in):
  1. If I was going to use the Azelaic Acid, where would I work that into the regimen I suggested?
  2. I realized that I am low on my AHA (Alpha brand) and don't have more (I thought I did). If I were going to try another AHA product, what would others suggest that is gentle, non-greasy, inexpensive, and easily available either in major stores or via Amazon?

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-21, 04:35 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I’m 61 and have sensitive, oily skin. My skin used to be very oily and is slightly oily now, but I still breakout if I use a heavy moisturizer. I also have a fragrance allergy.

In the morning, I just rinse my face with water in the shower, apply Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin to my damp face, then sunscreen. In the evening, I use Olay Cleanse Gentle Foaming Face Cleanser, then Cetaphil Redness Relieving Night Moisturizer to damp skin, and after it dries, .5% tretinoin cream. I use the tretinoin M-F, Saturday nothing but moisturizer, and Sunday I use Paula’s Choice 8% AHA.

I have to find that sweet spot between moisturizing enough but not too much. I can’t use moisturizing cleansers in the morning, they break me out too. I find some sunscreens break me out too, who knows why! Right now I’m using the Purito Unscented. I can also use the Eucerin Face Moisturizer for sensitive skin with SPF.
I think I'm going to try the Cetaphil Redness Relieving Night Moisturizer based on your recommendation. So far, after years of trial & error and money down the drain, the daily products my skin tolerates the best are similar or the same as your picks--the Olay gentle foaming face cleanser and I use the Target brand Up & Up version of Neutrogena's Oil Free Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin. Funny how the cheapest items ended up working the best for me. Not perfect, but better than some other (more expensive) roads I've been down in the past. (I'm 38 by the way.)
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-21, 05:24 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Love Rachel Maksy! And I don’t even sew lol.
I've had so much fun watching other people create stuff on Youtube! Another I love is Morgan Donner. I love the way they just build what they need. Some of it looks so complicated I'm not sure I'd be willing, but if you've got the equipment and the knowhow ... .

I also like watching the ones where people sew by hand a lot. Will I ever make my own shift, much less my own corset? Probably not, but I keep learning how from other people, too much fun!
Old 01-09-21, 06:31 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Thanks again Sherry! I have more follow-up questions (for you or anyone else who wants to chime in):
  1. If I was going to use the Azelaic Acid, where would I work that into the regimen I suggested?
  2. I realized that I am low on my AHA (Alpha brand) and don't have more (I thought I did). If I were going to try another AHA product, what would others suggest that is gentle, non-greasy, inexpensive, and easily available either in major stores or via Amazon?
I think you would use the Azelaic Acid instead of the AHA. I'm going to try it in the morning, before moisturizer, and see how my skin does with it. If you wanted to use both, you could alternate between the Azelaic Acid and the AHA.

Since I have to buy fragrance free, I like Paula's Choice or Alpha Hydrox. I know some people like the Pixi Glow tonic. I believe The Ordinary has an AHA that is really popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I think I'm going to try the Cetaphil Redness Relieving Night Moisturizer based on your recommendation. So far, after years of trial & error and money down the drain, the daily products my skin tolerates the best are similar or the same as your picks--the Olay gentle foaming face cleanser and I use the Target brand Up & Up version of Neutrogena's Oil Free Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin. Funny how the cheapest items ended up working the best for me. Not perfect, but better than some other (more expensive) roads I've been down in the past. (I'm 38 by the way.)
Same for me, drugstore seems to work better. Two of the derms I follow on social media have recommended the Cetaphil. It's also recommended for people with rosacea. My 20 year old daughter is able to use it without breaking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I've had so much fun watching other people create stuff on Youtube! Another I love is Morgan Donner. I love the way they just build what they need. Some of it looks so complicated I'm not sure I'd be willing, but if you've got the equipment and the knowhow ... .

I also like watching the ones where people sew by hand a lot. Will I ever make my own shift, much less my own corset? Probably not, but I keep learning how from other people, too much fun!
I have fun watching them too! Rachel Maksy is very entertaining. I love her dog. I'll have to check out Morgan Donner. I also watch Laci Fay The Vintage Girl Next Door. My mother was an excellent seamstress and I now wished I paid attention. I keep thinking I'll try it myself some day, but so far I just watch!
Old 01-09-21, 08:15 PM  
SpiritYogi

Question Hair Dye

I'm ready to change my hair. It's waist length and I'm not ready to chop it off, but would like to play with the color. It's between a dirty blonde / light brown right now and I'd like to either go a little lighter or a bit darker (maybe with a reddish tint if I go darker). I want to stay away from hair dyes with harmful chemicals. Does anyone have experience with Tints of Nature, Herbatint, Artic Fox, or any other 'safer' hair dyes?
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-21, 07:59 AM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
(snip)
Regarding makeup removal, I’ve heard wonderful recommendations for the makeup eraser cloth. Apparently it just takes off makeup with water. I do okay with getting all my makeup off with a double cleanse and a microfiber cloth. (snip)
I have some makeup remover cloths. I guess they are the microfiber ones. I bought them ages ago and don't remember the brand or where I bought them--but probably got them at TJMaxx or Ulta. Anyway, I love them! I just have to wet the cloth and wipe my face. It takes a little work to get mascara off with them, but if you don't want to use any other products, it can be done. I was really skeptical when I first bought them, thinking they would be a waste of money, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Donna

Tags
beauty, beauty thread, beauty thread 2021