Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-31-20, 04:02 PM  
kat999

This afternoon I did the Start Up limited edition workout, which is 25 minutes long, and I had to purchase it used on VHS (thank heavens I still have one working VCR!). I'd never done this one before, and it was great as an add-on. I would classify it as kind of a fusion/barre/pilates routine, very stretching focused, and I'm going to put it into my rotation as a quick stretch if I'm doing another workout, too. That said, it still burned some calories! I did a short 30-minute yoga routine right after it, and the combination was really nice. I will say, if you're trying to collect most JF workouts and are considering tracking this down, it's not an absolute must-have, in my opinion, since it covers a lot of what's already done in the Prime Time/Easy Going workout.
Old 12-31-20, 06:50 PM  
susand

i remember this one! i still have the vhs. i think it was offered for buying Special K cereal. not sure. i did Favorite Fat Burners yesterday. hooked up the old vhs. you would like that one kat.
susand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-20, 07:01 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by susand View Post
i remember this one! i still have the vhs. i think it was offered for buying Special K cereal. not sure. i did Favorite Fat Burners yesterday. hooked up the old vhs. you would like that one kat.
Oh, wow, that's funny that it was a Special K promotion. Cool! I didn't buy FFB but I think I found it on YouTube, so I'll give it a try sometime!
Old 01-03-21, 05:06 PM  
kat999

Today I did the Complete Workout, and this one is kind of wild. It's a great mix of upper and lower-body strength training with a long aerobics section in the middle that has high- and low-impact versions demonstrated throughout. However, there are some truly goofy aesthetic choices, from an extended claymation opening with very '80s touches like an animated Walkman to some weird cutaways with film backgrounds during some of the aerobics segments. Jeannie and Laurel lead modifications during the aerobics, and they do a good job, but the audio is mixed such that it's often hard to hear them. There is a confusing set of instructions before the first segment, too, about how to chop the 75-minute complete workout into different short ones that you alternate, but I think for me I'll just integrate the whole thing into my rotation as an aerobic weight training video. A lot of it reminds me of things that were perhaps inspired by the FIRM, which I like, but at a lower intensity. As always with JF, the aerobics moves are kind of dorky, so at times I felt self-conscious doing some of it and modified to something more basic. Still, this got my 75 exercise minute credits and 448 calories per my Apple Watch, so I'll take it!
Old 01-04-21, 10:37 AM  
susand

kat you starting this thread inspired me earlier to hook up the old vhs player and use some old jane fondas! did step n stretch the other day. vhs still going! i remember doing the complete workout all the time. love the one "reach pull walk" step!
Old 01-04-21, 10:48 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by susand View Post
kat you starting this thread inspired me earlier to hook up the old vhs player and use some old jane fondas! did step n stretch the other day. vhs still going! i remember doing the complete workout all the time. love the one "reach pull walk" step!
Woot! Good for you! I didn't get Step N Stretch with this set, but I think it's on YouTube and may give it a shot. The "reach pull walk" step is indeed fun. It's amusing how "themed" the songs in the aerobics segment are, like the Latin dance, the '60s dance, and the country dance.
Old 01-04-21, 11:33 AM  
susand

Smile

yes i think the themes were considered "cutting edge" at the time! thanks again for starting this fun thread.
Old 01-04-21, 02:30 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Today I did the Complete Workout, and this one is kind of wild. It's a great mix of upper and lower-body strength training with a long aerobics section in the middle that has high- and low-impact versions demonstrated throughout. However, there are some truly goofy aesthetic choices, from an extended claymation opening with very '80s touches like an animated Walkman to some weird cutaways with film backgrounds during some of the aerobics segments. Jeannie and Laurel lead modifications during the aerobics, and they do a good job, but the audio is mixed such that it's often hard to hear them. There is a confusing set of instructions before the first segment, too, about how to chop the 75-minute complete workout into different short ones that you alternate, but I think for me I'll just integrate the whole thing into my rotation as an aerobic weight training video. A lot of it reminds me of things that were perhaps inspired by the FIRM, which I like, but at a lower intensity. As always with JF, the aerobics moves are kind of dorky, so at times I felt self-conscious doing some of it and modified to something more basic. Still, this got my 75 exercise minute credits and 448 calories per my Apple Watch, so I'll take it!
I remember the random black & white film backgrounds! I also remember liking the upper body segment at the beginning of the workout. It's been more than a decade though since I did this one!
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 03:19 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I remember the random black & white film backgrounds! I also remember liking the upper body segment at the beginning of the workout. It's been more than a decade though since I did this one!
The upper body segment is fantastic. I really appreciate that a lot of it is done seated, as I feel like that really isolates the various muscle groups and allows for better form than compound workouts that try to cram a lot of muscle groups into a much shorter workout. I still do workouts like that, of course, but I miss the old school "heavy and slow" methodology sometimes, so this is great.
Old 01-06-21, 04:48 PM  
kat999

This afternoon I did Lean Machine, which I used to regularly check out of the library back in the late '90s and loved. I don't know why I never bought it (maybe I couldn't find it, and I do know I was without internet at home back then). I love everything about it, from Jane's outfit to the very energetic Laurel and Jeanne to the cute guy (Michael) who leaves after the first 20 minutes (to demonstrate how you break the workout up into three different versions). I also love the super cheesy cooldown where everybody puts on sunglasses.

The only thing I don't love about this DVD version is that, again, the sound is mixed very badly, with the music up higher than the cueing. I did this one so much that I actually remembered a lot of the actual things Jane, Laurel, and Jeanne said, but hearing it now, it was all so muffled. I wish they'd done a better job with that element of these newer releases.

The footwork is tough and will take some practice, as I'm very rusty, but for a long workout I appreciated how easy it was to switch to the low-impact group if I needed it. I still burned about 365 calories!

Tags
jane fonda, significant weight loss