Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-20, 04:57 PM  
laurajhawk

Sherry, it sounds like you just need to get some pets. Bonus points for more pets, and difficult pets. Like several others here, I get up and do pet-related chores -- let the dogs out, prep the three cats' different food/supplements/meds, let the dogs in, feed the dogs, clean the litterboxes. Somewhere in there I make the coffee, lol - then I sit down and drink a half-cup and write in my journal before I work out. But now that you mention it, I bet I would be too stiff to go straight into my workout without all that back-and-forth for the fur tribe first!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-20, 04:59 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Hubby and I go for a walk every morning. I work out when I get home. I’m 67.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-20, 05:01 PM  
Malinda

A chiropractor I used to go to advised me to do 10 gentle cat/cows before I get out of bed every morning. I've been doing that for over a year and it really does help loosen up my back.

I tend to cats and chickens in the morning before I work out -- walking and bending and reaching (and petting, of course) are all good for warming up a bit.
Old 09-03-20, 06:09 PM  
sherry7899

Thank you for all the suggestions! I appreciate it ! We have three cats. I forgot to mention that of course I feed them and give them fresh water before I do anything else!

I have limited time before working out. My husband works from home in our finished basement, which is also my cardio and strength space. I also prefer to do yoga there since it is the only place our cats do not go, and it has the largest tv. I stream you tube there for yoga all the time. I have to finish before he starts work. I could get up a few minutes earlier and do some stretching and cat/cow first thing. I am not a coffee drinker and I always exercise on an empty stomach. I am going to try to take my rest days from cardio/strength on weekdays (I do yoga daily) so I can take advantage of using that space on weekends.

Laura, I cannot face cleaning the litter boxes before six am! I admire you for doing that. Theoretically it is our son's job, but I do it some of the time.

I do a cool down and stretch with every workout. I do not have a rebounder.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-20, 06:19 PM  
ChelePA

I always take a quick hot shower. Warms my muscles up and I definitely feel more awake and prepared especially when I’m working out early in the morning.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-20, 07:15 PM  
muggle

I love these suggestions. As for me...before I workout in the morning, I drink some coffee, watch some news and hope for the best!!

Seriously though, I’m 55 and have noticed that it definitely is harder to get up and go. I’ve learned to forgive myself for it. Then praise my body for when I do kick ass. Then stretch, stretch, stretch!
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-20, 08:46 PM  
DCW

I love reading how folks get it done.

It's about finding the perfect way that works for you. I can jump out of bed and get started. If I stopped for coffee I would never start.

Exercising has to be enjoyable to make it a habit. I am glad to see so many people do it.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-20, 10:13 PM  
Mell

Mell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-20, 11:30 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
The last few months I can't do that. I feel too stiff when I first get up.
have you been getting up at the same time each day pre/post pandemic?

with this latest pandemic and working from home, i find that i can stay asleep a little longer, so i need to discipline myself to get out of bed and get my workout done.

over the past 2 years, occasionally i feel stiff in the morning, but lately i feel rested and ready to face the day ahead.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-20, 07:30 AM  
Floren

Wow, this guy has lots of great mobility options!! Thanks for sharing this Mell.

He also has longer general mobility routines, shoulder routines, hip routines, and more. I will definitely be checking out more from this channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mell View Post
I like this quick 7 minute mobility workout. I also enjoy Lee Holden's 7 minute workouts from his 30 day challenge program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xmb86HcaGU
Floren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morning exercise, morning exercisers