Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 03-31-20, 08:23 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Got a good night's sleep in except for something that got Gus excited about 2 am - I let him out and he came back without anything to tell me... Another sunny day here, but a bit cooler than yesterday. I did get the porch cover strung up without too much swearing . Today planning on walking Gus, doing more work outside fixing my bench swing and getting that set up - squirrels partied on it this winter as that's where I had my bird feeders and several wooden pieces have detached. It's kind of sad to see my calendar and just about everything is crossed off...

Laura, I've got some people trying to volunteer at WRC to fill in on our sparse Fridays, but I've got to get them screened before giving them access... I should dig up some hand sanitizer I have gotten from various promotions - little vials that attach to keychains. I don't know if I already tossed them years ago...

Dede, the fabric mask helps a little, but it's not a virus 100% blocker. It's hard to tell when sun porch work is good nowadays. I'm dealing with that tying to figure out driveway replacement vs hip replacement.

Paula, the liquor stores should still be open and carry alcohol at high percentages - isn't there a 95% alcohol out there? Lots of the liquor distilleries are now making hand sanitizer.

Waves to all (from >6 foot distance!)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-20, 12:34 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I edited a video today and will work to get it posted. I also want to film another video today or tomorrow.

I did a short free form walking type workout. It got late quicker than I thought it was, so I needed to get something in before fixing lunch.

It's turning cooler today. Yesterday was a beautiful day, sunny and warm. Today is the day of the front, gray and cooler. We focus on days like this because DH's fibromyalgia often flares up with the change in barometric pressure.

Anita - It's good you got the awning back and situated without as much trouble as you feared. It will be good to have all that done when it turns hot and the sun is hot.

Paula - One thing good about VF is that there are a lot of posts about free workouts to try. There's a lot to choose from these days.

Dede - I like getting packages like that with thank yous and maybe a little freebie. It sounds like a good place to get stuff from.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-20, 08:29 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Ellen Barrett's Pick Your Level Pilates followed by some stretching.

We went flying today - woo hoo! DH called the airport this morning to find out what the rules were (the last time we flew was the day the Gov. proclaimed isolation - we were "social distancing" when we left and in "isolation" when we got home. DH was told flying was allowed - we should practice social distancing at the airport if we encountered others but working on the plane and flying it are allowed. So we packed a picnic lunch, flew the plane to another local airport, took some beach chairs and sat by our plane and ate our lunch then flew back to our airport. We didn't interact with anyone, but it was nice to get out an in the air for a little while.

Anita, do you ever watch Lab Muffin on YouTube? She lives in Australia and has a PhD in chemistry. She talks about the science of stuff. She has a video on making hand sanitizer and emphasises that liquor isn't adequate. The difference is the "proof" of drinking alcohol and actual alcohol content - anyway, she thinks santizer made with drinking alcohol such as vodka won't be strong enough to be effective. Hopefully the new volunteers at WRC can be incorporated soon.

Laura, it's been cloudy here too - high clouds but still not the nice day we were promised. Sorry it makes your DH feel badly. Yes, lots of exercise content on YouTube - I still pull out my favorite DVD's though, I'm glad I have them.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 08:21 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Yesterday, I got the bench setup and put out all the summer items in my back yard - I'm still looking for one hanger for a light... Sooooo today will be cleaning out the garage, rearranging shelves in there and looking for that hanger. I'll also be making a run to the compost site dropping off bush trimmings and picking up some dirt to spread in my yard ruts and reseed with grass. Gus walk in there also! At least I've been enjoying my time outside.

Laura, when you say free form walk workout, I think of Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCLp7zodUiI

Paula, Nice to get a picnic when flying! Glad you were able to get out and fly! You're right about using liquors as hand sanitizers. i dug a bit more after posting and saw the proof wasn't high enough in vodka to use it reliably.

Anita
Old 04-01-20, 01:32 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Well, yay me, I managed to work out before noon yesterday and today. That's because I didn't manage to get in a workout Monday until very late. I ended up doing a one-mile Gina B. walk on YouTube. So I tried to make up for it by doing Virtual Active Tierra del Fuego bike yesterday, and PHA 3, ab stacker, and my customized upper body workout today. I also managed to get out this morning to get groceries and was home at nine before the workers got here.

Anita, I feel so good about my long workouts, but it's nothing compared to what all you do just working in the yard! The hospital is getting hand sanitizer made by a local distillery. I guess they're making that instead of liquor? Maybe since the bars are closed, they aren't making as much. They are also getting cloth masks made by people in the community. So if mine ever arrive from Sweaty Bands, I guess I shouldn't feel too silly wearing them. One gal at Walmart was wearing a bandana like an outlaw.

Paula, it's good that you were able to get out. I'm beginning to get angry about everything. I'm not sure why. I seldom get out anyway, so it's not like I'm missing interaction. I'm such an introvert. I'm not happy about the workers, but I don't know what else would be bothering me. Maybe just the stress of the virus and knowing how long this will probably go on. I can't go outside because of my allergies. I'm feeling very unsettled. Oh, and I found alcohol at Walmart. They only let me have one, but I kind of felt like that gal did about her tp a couple of weeks ago. Like I won the lottery.

Laura, free form walking type workout? Do tell! I have bought very little from Etsy over the years, but I believe this was the first time I'd gotten gifts. So to get something from three different people was very nice.

It's only 2:30, but I feel as if I've been slaving away all day. I'm glad this is DH's last day to work for a few days. He's gotten little sleep having to get up for the workers and then working late himself.

We're up to 28 cases in our county. The biggest age range is still 21-30. But there are also more than 160 cases from 0-20, and that bothers me. I hope they are mild cases.

It's a grayish day, but at least we don't have rain. I hope you all have nice weather where you are.
Old 04-02-20, 07:02 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I don't know where yesterday went. I meant to get here, but apparently not. It was just a day of getting stuff done around the house like laundry, taking DH to a PT appointment and walking outside while he went in, and working on stuff on my website. I did the first two sections of Tone Every Inch.

Today is supposed to be a beautiful day, so I'm going to try to get outside. And, of course, I want to get more done on my website. I may try to host a chat for my small group from church. Our meeting time is on Thursdays and we haven't met since things were disbanded in person.

Anita - Yeah, I meant a Leslie style workout while I watched regular TV, but the Ministry of Silly Walks makes sense, too. Good job enjoying being outside while setting things up to enjoy being outside this summer!

Dede - You had a busy morning yesterday. No wonder you were tired in the afternoon! Its good DS will be able to have some time off.

Paula - What a great thing it was to take the plane ride. What a way to get out of your neighborhood! I've thought about loading DH into the car and just going for a ride sometimes.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 07:45 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on more putzing and giving Gus a nice walk - might do some oddball shopping also at Menards. I did get my garage and shed swept out and organized, but no luck finding the hanger I was looking for. The two solar lamps I hung from them over my bench aren't working though - the panels are all clouded indicating they're dead.

Dede, good job getting an early grocery run in! I usually go in the afternoon and lots is gone by then... I'm enjoying putzing in the yard - it's too early to do much in the beds yet, but there's little stuff I can do. I'm planning on getting the water feature cleaned out today - not sure if I'll connect a hose and get it filled yet... Are workers at the hospital short-handed? With children at home and coughs going around, people may be staying home more even not knowing if it was the coronavirus.

Laura, I just enjoyed having the Ministry of Silly Walks back in my mind . You're getting good at putzing around your house also .

Anita
Old 04-02-20, 07:43 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Late workout today. I was too pooped to do it earlier. Thursday is usually leg day, so I did Strong Body Stacked Sets Lower.

Our governor is now telling people to stay home unless they have something essential to do. He tried to get people to voluntarily stay home, but they wouldn't. I'm amazed at how some political leaders know less than I do. The governor of Georgia said he didn't know until the last 24 hours that asymptomatic people could spread the virus! I was stunned when I heard him say that.

Anita, our local hospital doesn't have many patients yet. I am concerned about the inevitable increase, though. We are a small rural hospital, so we might run into problems. I hope not. But for now, we aren't short-handed. Only 32 confirmed cases in our county (although I'm sure there are many more cases than that) and no fatalities. I worry about non-covid patients as well. Our ER is always overflowing. They put people in chairs and on gurneys in the hallway because they don't have enough rooms. I don't know why it's like that. It didn't use to be.

For some reason, it feels like Friday. I'll have to keep reminding myself tomorrow that it's not the weekend.
Old 04-02-20, 08:37 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Sorry I didn't post yesterday, I've been having computer problems. No workout today other than a walk with DH.

Dede, I heard on the news today that your Govenor instituted an isolation mandate. Much of the country is now under isolation. It is unsettling, physically and emotionally. We're doing OK but DH is having some heath problems - not respiratory, possibly related to his past cancer. His doctor was always very responsive until now. We're assuming he's just too busy at the moment to deal with ordinary problems.

Anita, you're getting a lot done - good for you. I've been thinking of doing some gardening but didn't know it any place where I could buy potting mix would be open.

Laura, I have friends who are just going for a ride in the car - sometimes you just need to get out.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 06:44 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I'm planning on working at the WRC this morning. Not sure if I'll try to stop by Target on my way home. Otherwise planning on walking Gus. Not much else as we're having a cold rainy/snowy/freezing rain type day.

Dede, we've got stay at home rules going on also, but we're allowed to walk in the parks so I do drive to one to walk Gus - it's pretty easy to keep the 6' distances there as few people are in there, but more than what I would normally see out there. A normal day would be meeting 4 people on the walk - now it's more like 10 people. If I truly need to stay at home and walk Gus in our neighborhood, that could be done also.

Paula, it's hard to tell which doctors are available and which aren't - my ortho clinic is practically empty - they wouldn't treat virus there, so lots of staff are twirling their thumbs right now. I won't go in to my general health clinic for my annual exam this month... Hard to tell what to do. I'm not sure if the big garden stores will be open, but the hardware stores are and they do have some garden soil there in bags, usually.

Anita