Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 03-29-20, 04:57 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Crone Cronies - If You're Going Through Hell, Keep Going. March 29

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-20, 05:13 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Good morning. To me, Winston Churchill seemed like an appropriate person to quote during this time.

Yesterday was a warm sunny day. It was great to see the sun all day. In the morning, I got one of my blog posts up and done. And, DH and I got out to buy a BIG load of groceries. Publix had almost everything we wanted in one form or another. In the afternoon, I went over and saw my parents. The sitting in the driveway while they sit in the garage works pretty well, and it was a beautiful day to be outside anyway. I took them some wipes and hand sanitizer that we had extra.

I woke up way too early this morning, so I'll head back to bed soon. I want to be up in time to go to church from our living room. I'll cook some today and hopefully get in some exercise.

Our county enacted a stay-at-home order this past week. The state-wide version goes into effect tomorrow. None of that really affects us since we've been living that way for awhile anyway. Although I might break a rule to go see Mom and Dad once in awhile.

Anita - I hope you got out before the rains started big time. I've only had one video where I had to add extra footage after the fact because I forgot to cover one major and critical topic. I decided it was too hard to replicate the exact same look and llghting, so I just showed the demo on the screen. I've learned that when I mess up to pause and then start again, so it's usually cutting out those pauses and trying to make it look seamless.

Paula - Blondies. Yum! There are so many small businesses that are hurting. I hope the airport cafes, along with so many others, find a way to ride out this time.

Beth - It's great to see you. It's good you have an exercise space to share as long as you get first dibs on it!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 03-29-20, 08:19 AM  
sciencelady

Thanks for getting us started, Laura!

Planning on more putzing around today. We were supposed to get almost two inches of snow last night, but I see only traces of snow in the grass - that's OK! I'll plan on walking Gus when it gets a bit drier and warmer outside. I did get some outdoor bush trimming done yesterday, still need to finish today - our compost site was open for the weekend so able to take my trimmings in.

Beth! So glad you popped in! I think your lockdown is a bit more stricter than ours but smarter to only have one person from the family going into stores. Glad you're able to share your workout area with DH and DS!

Paula, on your baking projects! I haven't had flour in my house in about a decade - haven't baked in a long time . It's interesting on takeout what's available or not - Target closed down it's roasting and slicing sections, so no roast chicken for me , but they still offered sushi packages for home - figured those had a lot more hands contact than a roast chicken . (still picked up sushi ).

Laura, your quote was very appropriate for this week! I wonder how many people will get used to going to church visually while still dressed in their pajamas . Hopefully taking care of your parents still qualifies under stay at home. Are they doing the early shopping hours at stores? Our WRC just sent out letters for us to print off in case police stop us on the way to them qualifying our trip.

Waves to all (from >6 foot distance!)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-20, 09:34 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Anita, I was wondering what DH would do if we go into lockdown. DS is not essential personnel, but he is. I guess he could just show police his work ID. He carries it around now. He used to just leave it at work, but the hospital is on lockdown and he needs it to get into the building. They do have positive cases in the hospital. That concerns me because if there are people bad enough to be hospitalized, that means there are lots more who already have it and are either in isolation or don't know it yet.

I don't believe we will go into lockdown anytime soon. I can't say why because that would mean talking politics, but I really don't think it will happen. And I'm afraid this state will pay the price for that.

Laura, did you find hand sanitizer yesterday? I still haven't seen any anywhere, but I did get one of the bottles I ordered from Etsy. Since I'm growing more concerned, I ordered some washable, reusable fabric masks from Sweaty Bands. They will probably suffocate me, especially since summer is coming, but you can't find the kind that are recommended anywhere. And you are supposed to toss those when you use them, so that would make them even harder to get hold of. DH is not in a part of the hospital where regular use is required, but he has had to wear one to do certain things. He hates it. He says it makes his glasses fog up. DS was given one to wear at work if he wants, but again, he only got one and they aren't supposed to be reused. But then people on the front lines are having to reuse theirs.

Waves to Beth and hope you are doing well.
Old 03-29-20, 09:37 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Travis Eliot Yin Yoga. Ventured out to Ralphs today managed to get most of what we needed. Once home we entertained ourselves DH cleaned the insides of both cars while I cleaned the oven and washed my makeup brushes. You know I'm reaching for projects if I'm cleaning the oven. May I just add that vinegar and baking soda really will clean anything.

Laura, thanks for getting us started. Winston Churchill's force of will and encouraging statements held England together during hard times. We could use him here and now. Sounds as though you've got a handle on the isolation rules. We check our boat and plane - we practice social distancing and are careful not interact with others. I'm not clear on whether that's breaking the rules or not as people are allowed to be together on their own property. DH has given the Blondies his stamp of approval. I'm with Anita, interesting to think of people attending church in their PJ's.

Anita, hope you and Gus had a nice day putzing around. Are the police stopping people in their cars there? They aren't here. So many people are still working here, we have three large hospitals and a medical research facility here. There are always cars - fewer than before but way too many for the police to think of stopping. On a different note, I have heard Costco no longer has fresh roasted chicken too.

Deedee, here in California our govenor is using the term "isolation" and some states are calling it "lockdown" but when I look at the rules they seem similar. My county has 485 cases and county next to us, LA county, even more. There's a CVS attached to the Ralphs where we shop, we were able get two small (purse size) bottles of hand sanitizer there, they had a limit of two per customer. WHO has a recipe for DIY hand sanitizer on the web - basically 2/3 alcohol to 1/3 Aloe Vera or Glycerin. We have the ingrediants so we can make it if need be.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-20, 08:15 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I got to sleep in this morning - got a call from the WRC that they are limiting the number of contacts people have over the week, so you can be there on one team that comes Sunday through Tuesday or the other team that comes Wednesday through Saturday. I cross both teams on Monday and Friday, so had to stop coming in on Mondays... I was going to stop doing Mondays when baby waterfowl nursery was opened this spring, so not much of a skip at this point. They've also screened out lots of people that are continuing to work or have other virus risk factors, so I'll be the leader on Friday mornings for that shift - I'll need to learn some care for some bigger animals we have (opossums and muskrats) - their usual caretakers are gone now. This does cut down my human contact quite a bit, which I suppose is good for virus preventative.

Otherwise planning on putzing around - today is supposed to be a top ten weather day . I'll continue trimming a bunch of shrubs in my front yard and walk Gus.

Dede, I hope your DH and DS have protective equipment available to them if they are working in a hospital. I've got a cloth mask from WRC to use when I'm there - I'll be washing it between visits. Not very effective against virus, but good to avoid someone coughing in your face. I don't use hand sanitizer at home, just soap and water - I'll use it if I'm going into or out of stores and its provided. My hands are getting very dry and knuckles cracked from all the washing...

Paula, I could use a good car wash and cleaning out the inside of the car. I've got lots of reusable grocery bags in there that have collected dog hair, so I should launder them - right now stores aren't allowing their use either. Cleaning the oven should be on my to do list also! Supposedly police can stop cars, but haven't seen that yet. I do have a permission letter from WRC to provide police if I'm pulled over. I do drive to a park to walk Gus - probably shouldn't be doing that as much, but it's a sanity break for both Gus and me to get out in good parks rather than just walking in my neighborhood. Our virus numbers are much lower than yours out in CA - our state is about where your county is... At this point hard to predict if things will pass quicker in heavily infected states and last longer in lower infected states... I'm not to the point of sacrificing my aloe vera plant to crush it into a bottle of vodka .

Waves to all (from >6 foot distance!)!

Anita
Old 03-30-20, 10:58 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

This morning, I did 30 minutes of Your Best Body Circuit. It felt good. And, I am cooking a roast chicken in my clay pot.

Anita - It's good the WRC is trying to cut down on contact, although it is hard when you have so little contact with people. It's good that you have Gus to interact with.

Paula - Yeah, it's a different experience to sit in your own house to attend a service. Our church is pretty casual, so PJs isn't as big of a jump as in past times.

Dede - We have a ton of hand sanitizer, so I was giving some extra to my parents. I can understand being concerned for your DH going to the hospital. What does he do? You have said and I have forgotten.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 03-30-20, 11:11 AM  
sciencelady

Well I decided today would be Swear like a Sailor Day for me - picked up my porch awning from the shop and will string it up today. It ended up being a free job to get all the seams resown - she thought the thread was defective when it was made as every seam disintegrated when I took it down last fall.
Old 03-30-20, 01:09 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Anita, you don't think a fabric mask would help at all? Even if it's all you can find?

Laura, DH works in the pharmacy. He isn't around patients, but orders come through the tube system and there are other pharmacists who are around patients. But when their day is done, they aren't allowed back in the pharmacy. Their things are passed to them through the window. But they do come back that way, so.....

I received all of the homemade hand sanitizers and lotion sticks I ordered. The three ladies I ordered the lotion sticks from sent little gifts and two wrote thank you notes. I thought that was nice.

Paula, I couldn't make my own hand sanitizer because alcohol is also hard to find. I'd like to have another bottle. I have disinfectant spray, but I like using just plain old alcohol sometimes. I agree that we could use Winston Churchill right now.

I always seem to miss the free workouts posted on the Four Season's Facebook page, but I caught part of one recently and it was constantly buffering anyway. I would hate trying to keep up with a workout that way. Cathe is posting shorter workouts on her own Facebook page that stay up. (You have to catch the Four Season's ones live.) I don't know if they are any better or not. I have lots of time on my hands to check them out. I can't work out right now because DH is at work and he has two men here working on our sun porch. I think he picked a lousy time to be doing that, but he doesn't ask my opinion. I need to be around in case they need something. And if I won't work out in front of family, I sure won't work out in front of strangers. I did at least do my customized upper body routine, so I've done something. I have a hard time making myself work out these days. I already didn't want to do it, but all this coronavirus craziness makes me want to do even less.

Air hugs to all.
Old 03-30-20, 07:57 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Jessica Smith Chair Cardio followed by a combo of my PT rountine and Strong Women/Strong Bones.

Anita, sleeping in and a good swear can both be cathartic at times. Hope you and Gus got a good walk in. I guess the WRC limiting contact is both good and bad. Keep that Aloe Vera plant intact - it may be worth a lot in the near future.

Laura, sounds like you're having a productive day.

DeeDee, rubiing alcohol is hard to find here too. We had two bottles in the house when this hit and we were lucky enough to buy two more since. I am hopeful that will be enough to hold us to the end of the surge. Right now I want to work out more - I need the distraction. YouTube has so many rountines available.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote