Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-17, 09:31 AM  
sherry7899

I think Sun Records is based on actual events, so hopefully it won't be "soapy."

I really like Beth on This Is Us. I waver on Kate. I think she has been through a lot, so I'm giving her a break. Rebecca is another story.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 09:31 AM  
pricek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Jennifer- it has been renewed for two more seasons.

I loved "My so called life" and have the series on Dvd with the bonus features. Did you watch"Once and Again" which was created by the same people as MSCL?
I loved Once and Again!!
pricek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 09:33 AM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyMommy View Post
This is easily my favorite show right now. I will always love The Walking Dead, as frustrated as I get with the writing sometimes. But This Is Us has what TWD is seriously lacking right now...character development. Sterling Brown was the only actor I was unfamiliar with when the show started and now he is my favorite. He is an AMAZING actor. I loved every scene with Randall and William. I just watched the latest episode last night and it broke my heart. Makes me so angry that Rebecca robbed them of so much time. Which brings me to my one negative about the show...I don't like the female characters. I do like Beth, Randall's wife, but Kate, Rebecca, Kevin's girlfriends, etc. I have a hard time liking any of them. How can a show write men that you absolutely love and adore, yet make all the women so unlikeable? I did like Kate at first, but the last few episodes she's annoyed me.

But overall, the writing is just amazing. The writing and character development remind me of one of my all time favorite shows, My So-Called Life. Unfortunately that show was canceled much too soon and never got a chance. At least This Is Us is a breakout hit and not going anywhere anytime soon. I think I read somewhere that it has already been renewed for two more seasons? I'm not positive about that though.
Ahhh My So Called Life was one of my favorite shows! I watch Homeland now and every so often, Claire Danes will do or say something that totally reminds me that she was once Angela Chase.

It was sooo well-written. Plus Jordan Catalano!
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 09:33 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricek View Post
I loved Once and Again!!
It is hard to find anyone who even knew about that show! At least they were told ahead of time it was ending, so they got to do a wrap up finale.

If you liked thirtysomething, there is a book about the series coming out in June which includes the script for what was supposed to be the final episode but was not shown. It also has interviews with the cast and writers. It is by Scott Ryan. I really liked that show also, and wished it could have had a real finale episode.

ETA: I see a pattern-all the shows I mentioned including "This Is Us " are angst ridden family dramas

Old 02-23-17, 09:47 AM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
It is hard to find anyone who even knew about that show! At least they were told ahead of time it was ending, so they got to do a wrap up finale.

If you liked thirtysomething, there is a book about the series coming out in June which includes the script for what was supposed to be the final episode but was not shown. It also has interviews with the cast and writers. It is by Ryan Scott. I really liked that show also, and wished it could have had a real finale episode.

ETA: I see a pattern-all the shows I mentioned including "This Is Us " are angst ridden family dramas
I think you are right sherry! And speaking of great shows that were cancelled too soon.... does anybody remember the show A Year in the Life? With Sarah Jessica Parker, Adam Arkin, and ... oh well, a bunch of other people? LOL This was in the mid to late 80s --- I was barely in middle school, but I was *obsessed* with this show.

I think it's when my love of the angst-ridden family drama was born! I was crushed when it was cancelled!
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 10:14 AM  
SquishyMommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh1673 View Post
Ahhh My So Called Life w
It was sooo well-written. Plus Jordan Catalano!
Yes! I was so in love with Jordan Catalano! LOL! Girls always love the bad boys, don't they? Poor little Brian Krakow didn't stand a chance.

Of course, now that I am much older and a mother, Jack Pearson has my heart! Rebecca doesn't deserve him! Lol!
Old 02-23-17, 11:32 AM  
Emily B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimf View Post
Reading this made my cry all over again. I just watched this last night and the emotion of it is still with me.

I'm wondering where they will go with the story lines next season. I hope it stays as good as this first season!
I'm worried about this! They've revealed so much of the story this season...hope it doesn't lose steam next season!
Old 02-23-17, 11:38 AM  
sherry7899

I think they have plenty of material to work with. They've only shown the "kids" as around eight-ten years old and sixteen years old. There are a lot of other years to work with.

Sherry

Old 02-23-17, 01:22 PM  
Dabbadooey

I've never watched the show, but I loved Sterling Brown when he was on Army Wives. Could someone give a brief overview of what this show is about? Thanks
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 03:37 PM  
zoegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadooey View Post
I've never watched the show, but I loved Sterling Brown when he was on Army Wives. Could someone give a brief overview of what this show is about? Thanks
I'll try. The pilot billed itself as a show about people who all share the same birthday. But it is so much more! The first episode introduces us to Jack and Rebecca as they are about to become parents to triplets, on Jack's birthday. One of the babies dies at birth. On that same day, a black baby is left at the doorstep of a fire station. One of the firefighters takes the baby to the hospital where the triplets were born. Still feeling that they were supposed to be parents to three babies, Jack and Rebecca adopt the other baby. The series follows Jack and Rebecca and the kids, but goes back and forth in time, at times focusing on young Jack and Rebecca and other times the grown up kids. All of the characters are flawed but lovable and the acting and writing is wonderful. The "time traveling" is not as confusing or distracting as it sounds.

I just love this show (enough to try to write a synopsis about it!) and I'm usually not a fan of "family dramas".
zoegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorite tv shows, this is us