Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-16, 04:17 AM  
Pippadog

O/T Interstitial Cystitis and working out

Hi

As someone who gets alot of uti infections I've had tests done and I've been diagnosed with the above. When I get a bad episode working out is just out of the question. The pain is too much and I feel just completely washed out.

Does anybody else on here suffer with this condition and have they had any other ways of exercising with it. I try lower back yoga which helps a bit, but anything too high impact seems to be out of my league.

Any suggestions for lower back, pelvic pain.

Thanks
Laura
Pippadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-16, 11:05 AM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

I have been diagnosed with this, but it has not been problematic in the past few years. I found KY Raviana-style to be helpful both physically and mentally. You would have to be very gentle with contracting the lower (perineal) muscles when prompted, but otherwise this form of yoga could be therapeutic during flare-ups.

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-16, 12:01 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I actually started a few threads pertaining to my IC awhile ago.

http://www.videofitness.com/~vfwnk/f...d.php?t=200138

http://www.videofitness.com/~vfwnk/f...d.php?t=202862

Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of workout recommendations since mine was never bothered that much by exercise (other than high impact which I limited during flares). My nightmare was trying to have intercourse with DH during a flare. It was awful when I was really struggling with IC a few years ago.

I haven't had a bad flare in a really long time thanks to adjusting my diet, stress management and especially bladder training. Whenever I feel a flare coming on I drink lots of water and let my bladder get very full (holding it as long as you can to "stretch" the bladder walls). The worst symptoms occur when I run to the bathroom and pee constantly. It sounds counter-intuitive, but it's actually what's given me the most relief and I have had fewer issues with IC since I started doing this.
Old 01-10-16, 02:15 PM  
Honeydew

I have this too. Recently I started having more pain than I had when first diagnosed. Although mine isn't severe, it's still uncomfortable. I am taking supplements that have really helped with that. Still trying to find something that helps with frequency. pm me if you want to know what supplements I"m taking.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-16, 08:37 PM  
that_tori_girl

Yin Yoga and lots of pranayama have helped me through some of my flares. I also use and abuse my props with zero cares given.

Pilates is another go to, depending on how intense current flare up is.

Tags
interstitial cystitis, uti