Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-15, 03:35 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Question for the Yogis among us! Props!?

Fellow yoga practicing VFers, where do you get your props from?
Can you recommend a particular website (which possibly also offers free shipping)?

I'm particularly looking to buy a bolster as well as some yoga/Mexican blankets and would love if I could find something in the lower price range (yet good quality, if that's possible).

I'm looking forward to hearing from you!
Namaste! _/\_

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-15, 03:41 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I purchased all my props, including this Hugger Mugger standard bolster, from Amazon. If you can stand to wait until January I bet there will be a sale on all fitness products.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-15, 04:34 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Thanks, Pat!
Being impatient I've searched other sites and came across http://www.yogaaccessories.com/ which offer quite good deals (including free shipping with a code as well as 10% off for new customers).

So I got myself 2 Mexican blankets and a bolster for 62$, I'm a happy camper!
[I was very tempted to add several other items to my cart, but since DH already thinks I'm crazy for ordering these blankets while we have other blankets (fleece, mostly all occupied by our cats ) I wanted to keep my order to a minimum! LOL]

That being said, I'd still like to hear from others which websites they like to order from!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-15, 04:54 PM  
rosepetals

Hugger yoga bolster, the round one is very firm, hard. Its too stiff for me to use for stretching on. I can use it for putting under my legs. The fabric is beautiful to look at. A little scratchy. For under the legs it works well.

Manduka has air filled bolsters. I purchased two rectangular ones when they came out. They deflated. However, they are also filled with some sort of filling. The exterior fabric is very soft. They are really nice, not too stiff to use. Even with the loss of the air filled bolster, its very nice. I use it for backward bends and other yin yoga poses.

I also have Manduka's wool blankets. They are well made. I roll them up to customize the height.

Foam blocks are nice. I use them more often than the cork ones. Its easier on the wrists. I got mine at Target years ago.

I also have an assortment of pillows covered with vintage fabrics. They are good to prop up different parts, cushion joints, etc. I have a silk eye covering filled with flax from Hugger yoga. Its nice. I had the silk neck bolster from Hugger, but it wore out. Silk is a weak fabric. It developed slits all over. It wasn't poorly taken care of or used a lot. I loved that neck bolster, but for the price I won't purchase it again. I know it would fail again. I use small pillows.

I use a small vintage lap quilt to cover myself in the corpse pose at the end.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-15, 05:51 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

My blanket is an old woven tablecloth and my blocks are the big pieces of Styrofoam that my electronics were packaged with. I have a huge assortment of oddly matched blocks in many sizes My strap is a plain web belt.

I did buy a yoga wedge from Amazon and my mats are from Marshall's/TJMaxx.
Old 12-19-15, 06:36 PM  
BunnyHop

Years ago, I got both a round and rectangular bolster from Hugger Mugger. I use the round one all the time for my yoga nidra practice (it makes lying on my back much more comfortable.).

My yoga blankets are some of those cheapo fringe-y 'mexican' blankets from the gas station. They were cheap at the time, but I think the price has gone up (and you can get them online.) I keep thinking I ought to upgrade, but never get around to it.
Old 12-19-15, 07:00 PM  
laurajhawk

I have used yogaaccessories.com and I like the products (I've gotten a bolster and zafu from them). They're very reasonable but good quality. I have a Manduka blanket which is fine, but was overpriced. I picked up blocks on sale from Gaiam a long time ago.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-15, 07:15 PM  
BunnyHop

Oh, I forgot I have blocks and straps picked up at random.

My favorite strap is this one It's got loops along the whole length of it. The reason I like it is that the double thickness makes it more rigid so it's easier to swing onto my foot during a workout.

The best traditional 'yoga strap' I bought from my yoga instructor at the time, it's longer and stronger than the ones I've wound up with at random (as part of a Gaiam kit, another bought at random at a discount store, etc.) It has loops at the end so you can do some of the bound poses.

Yoga blocks? Buy a pair, and try not to wind up with the discount sized dinky ones. Got a set on sale/clearance price at Target. Definitely better than whatever I'd had before. (I still have them all, but can't find one of the older ones. lost under the bed, probably.)
Old 12-19-15, 07:35 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I am the prop queen, lol. I taught yoga regularly for two years and still sub occasionally. I have various bolsters, two from Amazon and two from Half Moon Yoga in Canada. The Half Moon ones were pricey but well worth it. I have blocks of varying sizes from discount stores like Winners (similar to Ross & TJ Maxx). I have foam rollers from Amazon & pool noodles from the dollar store, both great for yin chest openers. I have some yoga straps but also use luggage straps from the dollar store. I have balls of varying sizes and firmness for trigger point work (like Jill Miller), also from the dollar store. I have several heavy firm blankets I got from a discount store like Target years ago, great for shoulder stand and various other poses. They would be a similar weight to Mexican Blankets. I also have a couple of pillows filled with beads that are great for various yin poses. And, whew, my latest purchase is a Yoga Rat pad for my cranky knee.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-15, 08:20 PM  
Taiga

I love my Hugger Mugger Zabuton because it is so versatile. I use it as a mat for Yin Yoga, as a bolster, in place of a firm blanket for shoulder stand etc. I found one off warehouse deals for around $45 so it was more affordable. Would have a hard time getting by without it now.

I also like the Hugger Mugger Zafu Yoga Meditation Cushion. I sit on the floor a lot and this is very comfy

Tags
yoga accessories, yoga blanket, yoga bolster, yoga props, yoga websites