Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-08, 11:38 PM  
DejaDeb

What Have Your Learned About Your Like/Dislikes From Workouts You've Kept/Traded?

After some serious overhauling of my workout collection in which I purged about 25 workouts that I've used just once in the past year, I have identified the following three characteristics of "workouts I enjoy most" --

1. I would rather work "outdoors" than "indoors"

2. I like energetic "old school" or "disco-type" music, but not hip-hop

3. I would rather workout with a "class" than an "private instructor"

Of course, these revelations won't stop me from trying other types of workouts!

Has anyone else made similar discoveries about their workout style? Just curious!

Last edited by DejaDeb; 06-05-08 at 11:47 PM. Reason: edit
DejaDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 12:00 AM  
Sophia

I've learned that although I love to dance in real life, I hate dancing workouts. No Zumba, Salsa or anything else like that for me anymore. Although ballet/barre style are okay.

I prefer indoor settings in the videos to outdoor settings. The outdoor settings tend to distract me.

I prefer female instructors to male instructors.

Dated workout clothes and music don't bother me. I actually like the leotards and get-ups in the old Firms because they remind me of when I used to take dance back then.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 05:31 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I find I really enjoy instructors that make me laugh. I have kept workouts that qualify as cardio, strength and stretching because the instructor keeps me laughing or smiling - every time.

In the past year, I have found that good music is becoming more important to me. When I first started exercising, I couldn't understand people who didn't like workouts because of the music. I'm not quite to that point, but I find that I am more likely to keep workouts with good music, even if I don't identify that as a specific reason.

I just don't like dance workouts. My coordination just isn't good enough for them and I don't enjoy them. So, why did I just trade for the core cross train dance workout? I don't know...

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 07:40 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Do not make me dance, get down, or be funky. Do not make me have to think about where my feet need to go next. Do not make me spin or change directions. I do not need to be entertained, I just want to get the job done with minimal fuss.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 07:53 AM  
adrien_73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy T
Do not make me dance, get down, or be funky. Do not make me have to think about where my feet need to go next. Do not make me spin or change directions. I do not need to be entertained, I just want to get the job done with minimal fuss.
Ahhh...you took the words right out of my mouth!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 07:59 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

One more...

I have always disliked core/abs workouts. I just won't do them. Recently, I have found that doing core workouts that are cardio oriented, rather than strength, work for me. So, Kickin Core and Kickboxing Core Cross Train work for me. Who knew? I think it's because when I do strength work I don't substitute a core workout for upper or lower body and since I like cardio better I will not add an extra strength workout to my week very easily.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 08:00 AM  
susieqsmith

I don't like chatty instructors

"Background" music is ok, but I find it distracting with music with a beat does NOT match the workout

I don't like really dancy workouts

I tend to prefer workouts with a class (although I do like Squeeze)

I tend to prefer non-traditional resistance training
susieqsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 08:02 AM  
boakley
VF Supporter

I've learned:

1. A perky AND goofy instructor doesn't anger me, it makes me laugh (Chalene & Tony). Perky alone gets on my nerves.
2. Music motivates me, but it's not enough (i.e. I like Amy's music choices but don't click with her workouts yet)
3. I can enjoy club music if I'm doing step or TJ, although I'd still never listen to it just for the sake of listening to it.
4. It's OK not to like stuff most other people like.
5. I don't need/use EVERY Cathe workout.
6. Keeping a variety of beginner, intermediate and advanced workouts is important. I don't have to do a killer workout every day.
7. I can, and enjoy, "shakin' it" Who knew?
8. Traders remorse does exisit and that's OK

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 08:24 AM  
Tess_ATL

1. I don't click with instructors who are too cool. Like they were the most popular kid in high school and everyone wants to be like them or at least around them. I get this vibe with Tony, Chalene and Amy Bento.

2. I don't like yoga.

3. I don't like circuits.

4. I probably won't do complex choreography, step or hi-lo.

5. Give me a good, straightforward, honest workout without all the hype and I'm good to go. Cathe is the exception...hers are usually hyped up but I find they usually live up to it.
Tess_ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 08:49 AM  
snapfish45

I don't have to like it, even if it is popular; i.e. Turbo Jam or Ravi/Ana Not my type.

If I like the workout, I don't mind the chattiness i.e. Miranda Esmond-White, Bryan Kest

In general, I like straightforward weight training instead of functional type training. i.e. Margaret Richard instead of TLT workouts

Snap out of it!
snapfish45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nicki doane