Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Getting Started with Videos
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-08, 06:01 PM  
TuesdayTaylor
VF Supporter

is there a Check-in for people with arthritis and other chronic pain issues?

I'm in need of a check-in to make me accountable for my workouts. I'm 40, in a previous life ( ) I spent about 1-3 hour daily exercising, running and just playing sports and keeping active and being active at VF! Flash forward a few years, I now have 2 small children and have arthritis in my hips and severely deformed arthritic feet (I am in need of joint replacement in my big toes). I used to run half-marathons and do videos daily - now I'm happy if I am just getting 3 videos in a week plus walking and just not hobbling or worse, being unable to move. I have a few other autoimmune and pain issues that are challenging me as well.

I am not really wanting a thread wear I moan every day (I'm sure I'd annoy you!) but I'd like to feel comfortable and get to know people and be challenged but not overwhelmed. I particularly like doing yoga, Callanetics and the Firm (Classics) videos!

Any ideas where I'd fit in? THANK YOU!
TuesdayTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 07:06 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'm part of the Your Personal Best check in. We all set our own goals and then we try to hold each other accountable (in a nice supportive way) for those goals. I've also been reading the Crone Cronies (forgive me if I don't get the name exactly right) who seem to be into sharing their life experiences along with exercise. You might feel at home there. Or, you could always start your own!

Good luck! I hope you find a place you "fit". Dealing with arthritis is hard. I have psoriatic arthritis and have had to modify what I do in the past year because of it. So, I can understand how hard it would be for you. You've had a harder case to deal with than I have.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 03:39 PM  
Pam S

Hi Tuesday,
You're welcome to join us over at the AWT and More check in. We DO NOT stick to AWT, and we are a friendly supportive group with a variety of levels of exercise. It's not a young group LOL, everyone's over 35, I think, and most have some "issues" in one or more parts of their body. I am a not-too-consistent advanced beginner with some minor chronic issues and I like the support of the more consistent and advanced women in our check-in.

Best of luck to you--check-ins are really a nice part of VF.
Old 05-09-08, 06:39 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Years ago there was a chronic pain/illness etc. check-in that disapeared. I think it was a good idea then and I think it's a good idea now.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 08:20 AM  
bubbles76

I would certainly join if there is one out there. I am in chronic pain and have arthritis. I am 32, by the way, so I hope that won't count me out
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 08:46 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

As a certified VF basket case, I'd be willing to check-in on a chronic pain thread. It would be interesting to see what others are doing.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 07:51 PM  
tapdancer

I am in the Dance Check In, but I am in chronic pain. This is the first time I have mentioned it because I just try to get it out of my mind. I recently had a spine and neck MRI because of the pain in back, legs and neck.

"All" that was found was arthritis.

Mornings can be brutal....but I DO feel better when I exercise.

"To dance is to be out of yourself. Larger, more beautiful, more powerful. This is power, it is glory on earth and it is yours for the taking."

~Agnes De Milles~

tapdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 10:09 AM  
TamiT

Hi Diane,

Oh how I can relate to chronic pain! I'd be happy to send you my rehab dvd that really helped me get better. Hard to believe a 20 minute workout done without weights or equipment can make a difference but it did for me. Since someone sent it to me, I feel compelled to return the favor and send it to another person in need.

Just email me an address and it's yours to keep. I can do it by memory so I'll be ok without it.

Now I'm able to do just about any other workout without problems as long as I take the time to warm up and focus on body alignment while exercising.

Tam
TamiT is offline   Reply With Quote